User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
toodarnold OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
In search of a Guide for carb removal

Hello, I am in need of some real, real explicit information on how to remove the carburetor on my 2000 KTM LC4-e 640 and install a new one.
I personally, badly screwed-up the original carb that's on the bike beyond all repair (fubar) trying to replace the seized up choke cable.

I now have a replacement carb (purchased off ebay) that I want to put on the bike. I am in need of some information on how to go about this carb swap. I envision myself not having much luck just in diving to this job blind.

Any tips, links, advice on the easiest way to do this job and what to look out for would be most extremely appreciated. The carb I want to install already has the throttle and choke cables attached to it, hopefully this is a good thing.

My bike hasn't been ridden for a couple years now and I would love to be able to ride it again before I get much older (I'm 60 now) and don't see my bones taking many more seasons of bumps n jumps. I bought the bike new in 2000 and it now has 9900 miles on it. The only maintenance I've done to it is oil and filter changes every 1000-miles, 3-sets of tires, a couple spark-plug changes and I've replaced the front and rear brake pads once and changed the head n tail lamps and a couple turn signal bulbs. I probably need to adjust the valves sometime but first things first.

Thanks for any information you may have to offer.

Oh yea, I live in central Indiana and to my knowledge there's no KTM dealer even kind of near me. The dealer I bought the cycle from was located in Marion Indiana and has long since closed the doors.

Thanks again, Russ Noblesville Indiana
toodarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
You might try posting in the correct forum....

thumpers

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
You might try posting in the correct forum....

thumpers

Welcome to the Forum, toodarnold.

Orange Crush is for the KTM 950/990/1190 Twins. I'll move this one over to Thumpers for you.

"Troy was wrong!" - DRjoe
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
bisbonian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Is it a Mikuni BST40 and are you just swapping out same/same?

I find the easiest way to get the carb out of my '99 640A is to take the rear subframe off. Well maybe no the easiest but it certainly makes access to the carb much easier.

I figure that I have it all apart to grease the rear suspension bearings to it's not much more work to undo the 4 bolts that hold the subframe on.

You could probably just undo the two top bolts of the subframe and then pivot it on the two bottom bolts but you'd still probably have to take the muffler off as well as some of that extra stuff.

But if it's been sitting so long anyway there would be no harm in giving everything a good once-over anyway.

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodarnold View Post
Hello, I am in need of some real, real explicit information on how to remove the carburetor on my 2000 KTM LC4-e 640 and install a new one.
I personally, badly screwed-up the original carb that's on the bike beyond all repair (fubar) trying to replace the seized up choke cable.

I now have a replacement carb (purchased off ebay) that I want to put on the bike. I am in need of some information on how to go about this carb swap. I envision myself not having much luck just in diving to this job blind.

Any tips,
If you screwed up the carb just trying to fix a seized-up choke cable, maybe you aren't cut out to be a mechanic and ought to pay someone that is. So far it looks like that would have been cheaper and faster in the start with

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote