ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
Ladukebob OP
lost in hood river
 
Ladukebob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Hood River, Or.
Oddometer: 1,701
Overflow from the radiator 990

Rode about 25 miles on pavement over to a friends house to meet up for a ride. Park in his driveway, and find that radiator fluid is flowing out the overflow tube. Does this for about 10 seconds. Temp. looked fine during the ride over. The fluid level has always been rock steady, have never had to add to the reservoir. Is this a symptom of a problem I should be looking into?

While there we added about 6 oz. of fluid he normally uses in his 990 to the reservoir and proceeded to ride dirt for about 3 hours. Temp looked great and it never puked fluid again. The reservoir level did fluctuate some though. And I just learned yesterday that it's not good to mix Engine Ice with anything else. Bike came with Engine Ice when I bought it. Is it going to be a problem that I mixed about 6 oz. of a different type of fluid with the Engine Ice?
__________________
2011 990 adv
2012 wr250r
You don't know what you don't know
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
Grayjet
Ride on!
 
Grayjet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Va Beach
Oddometer: 396
I'm certainly no expert, but I would flush it and refill with pure Engine Ice. If the overflow persists, it may simply be the radiator cap failing. This happened to me last month. Everything was normal on the ride, but as soon as I parked it, the reservoir tank would fill until it overflowed. After it happened a second time in 2 days, I ordered a new cap. That solved the problem. No issues since.
__________________
'93 Honda XR650L
'09 KTM 990 Adventure

Putting miles on the tires!
Grayjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer
 
DirtyADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: SWEDEN, Skellefteċ
Oddometer: 2,000
When engine is cold remove radiator cap and see if its full of grey gunk, if so a waterpump overhaul and flushing coolant system should be on your to do for the near future.

Any grey depsit in the bottom of expansion tank?

/Johan
__________________
Have changed name, was previously Dirty950

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
Ladukebob OP
lost in hood river
 
Ladukebob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Hood River, Or.
Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayjet View Post
I'm certainly no expert, but I would flush it and refill with pure Engine Ice. If the overflow persists, it may simply be the radiator cap failing. This happened to me last month. Everything was normal on the ride, but as soon as I parked it, the reservoir tank would fill until it overflowed. After it happened a second time in 2 days, I ordered a new cap. That solved the problem. No issues since.
Thanks, I'm curious as to why mixing is a problem. I'm guessing an adverse chemical reaction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyADV View Post
When engine is cold remove radiator cap and see if its full of grey gunk, if so a waterpump overhaul and flushing coolant system should be on your to do for the near future.

Any grey depsit in the bottom of expansion tank?

/Johan
Expansion/reservoir tank is like new inside, very clean
__________________
2011 990 adv
2012 wr250r
You don't know what you don't know
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
roookie1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Denmark
Oddometer: 87
Radiator cap gone, or clogged up. Try a new one, its cheap..
__________________
Ktm 950 Adv S Go!! 2004 (Mathilda)
Ktm 530 Exc-r 2008
roookie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer
 
Sumi's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Hungary
Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by roookie1 View Post
Radiator cap gone, or clogged up. Try a new one, its cheap..
I promised in an 1190 thread, that I won't ever again comment in this forum, but I can't hold it back anymore:)

+1 on what roookie1 wrote, it's probably a faulty radiator cap! (cheap fix, and is worth a trial before you go further)
__________________
2005.5 950 Adventure (with 265mm travel suspension)
Sumi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer
 
DirtyADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: SWEDEN, Skellefteċ
Oddometer: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
I promised in an 1190 thread, that I won't ever again comment in this forum, but I can't hold it back anymore:)

+1 on what roookie1 wrote, it's probably a faulty radiator cap! (cheap fix, and is worth a trial before you go further)
And now we went off-topic Sumi but why not write anymore?

You seem to "abuse" your LC8 very well and keep it running so you should be most helpful here?

Well if we can agree to start labeling the threads with 990 / 1190 they are easier to avoid =)

/Johan
__________________
Have changed name, was previously Dirty950

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:54 AM   #8
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer
 
Sumi's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Hungary
Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyADV View Post
And now we went off-topic Sumi but why not write anymore?

You seem to "abuse" your LC8 very well and keep it running so you should be most helpful here?

Well if we can agree to start labeling the threads with 990 / 1190 they are easier to avoid =)

/Johan
Long story short: Lot's of 1190 owners don't have a sense of humour/can't handle criticism about their bikes. Some of my posts got deleted without notification, etc.. This is somewhat opposite to the idea of a forum in my head - that's why I've got fed up and decided to leave it behind.
But I love the bike and the 9x0 community (the guys in the LC4 threads in thumpers sub-forum are also very kindy and nice) so much, that if someone asks for help, it's hard not to answer the call :)
__________________
2005.5 950 Adventure (with 265mm travel suspension)
Sumi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #9
NKL
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Kent, England
Oddometer: 111
Rad cap failure, mine did it in Czech Republic a couple of years ago, completely out of the blue, got a new cap and it's been fine ever since.
NKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014