User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
Ladukebob OP
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,701
Overflow from the radiator 990

Rode about 25 miles on pavement over to a friends house to meet up for a ride. Park in his driveway, and find that radiator fluid is flowing out the overflow tube. Does this for about 10 seconds. Temp. looked fine during the ride over. The fluid level has always been rock steady, have never had to add to the reservoir. Is this a symptom of a problem I should be looking into?

While there we added about 6 oz. of fluid he normally uses in his 990 to the reservoir and proceeded to ride dirt for about 3 hours. Temp looked great and it never puked fluid again. The reservoir level did fluctuate some though. And I just learned yesterday that it's not good to mix Engine Ice with anything else. Bike came with Engine Ice when I bought it. Is it going to be a problem that I mixed about 6 oz. of a different type of fluid with the Engine Ice?
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
Grayjet
Ride on!

Oddometer: 396
I'm certainly no expert, but I would flush it and refill with pure Engine Ice. If the overflow persists, it may simply be the radiator cap failing. This happened to me last month. Everything was normal on the ride, but as soon as I parked it, the reservoir tank would fill until it overflowed. After it happened a second time in 2 days, I ordered a new cap. That solved the problem. No issues since.

Putting miles on the tires!
Grayjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,000
When engine is cold remove radiator cap and see if its full of grey gunk, if so a waterpump overhaul and flushing coolant system should be on your to do for the near future.

Any grey depsit in the bottom of expansion tank?

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
Ladukebob OP
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayjet View Post
I'm certainly no expert, but I would flush it and refill with pure Engine Ice. If the overflow persists, it may simply be the radiator cap failing. This happened to me last month. Everything was normal on the ride, but as soon as I parked it, the reservoir tank would fill until it overflowed. After it happened a second time in 2 days, I ordered a new cap. That solved the problem. No issues since.
Thanks, I'm curious as to why mixing is a problem. I'm guessing an adverse chemical reaction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyADV View Post
When engine is cold remove radiator cap and see if its full of grey gunk, if so a waterpump overhaul and flushing coolant system should be on your to do for the near future.

Any grey depsit in the bottom of expansion tank?

/Johan
Expansion/reservoir tank is like new inside, very clean
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
roookie1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Radiator cap gone, or clogged up. Try a new one, its cheap..
Old 09-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by roookie1 View Post
Radiator cap gone, or clogged up. Try a new one, its cheap..
I promised in an 1190 thread, that I won't ever again comment in this forum, but I can't hold it back anymore:)

+1 on what roookie1 wrote, it's probably a faulty radiator cap! (cheap fix, and is worth a trial before you go further)
Old 09-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
I promised in an 1190 thread, that I won't ever again comment in this forum, but I can't hold it back anymore:)

+1 on what roookie1 wrote, it's probably a faulty radiator cap! (cheap fix, and is worth a trial before you go further)
And now we went off-topic Sumi but why not write anymore?

You seem to "abuse" your LC8 very well and keep it running so you should be most helpful here?

Well if we can agree to start labeling the threads with 990 / 1190 they are easier to avoid =)

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:54 AM   #8
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyADV View Post
And now we went off-topic Sumi but why not write anymore?

You seem to "abuse" your LC8 very well and keep it running so you should be most helpful here?

Well if we can agree to start labeling the threads with 990 / 1190 they are easier to avoid =)

/Johan
Long story short: Lot's of 1190 owners don't have a sense of humour/can't handle criticism about their bikes. Some of my posts got deleted without notification, etc.. This is somewhat opposite to the idea of a forum in my head - that's why I've got fed up and decided to leave it behind.
But I love the bike and the 9x0 community (the guys in the LC4 threads in thumpers sub-forum are also very kindy and nice) so much, that if someone asks for help, it's hard not to answer the call :)
Old 09-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #9
NKL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Rad cap failure, mine did it in Czech Republic a couple of years ago, completely out of the blue, got a new cap and it's been fine ever since.
NKL is offline   Reply With Quote