Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #16
timspong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post

I'm not sure if a gs1150 will do it for me or should I go the full luxury tourer route ala Electra glide or goldwing.
I would vote the Harley bagger. Once you factor in depreciation it is cheaper to own than both the GW and GS. Plus nothing is like touring the US on a Harley. A lot more support also with spare parts/ mechanics everywhere. Plus it will likely open a lot more hospitality doors when your on the road.

If I lived in another part of the world than the US I probably would never consider a Harley. However there is mental zone you can reach on a Harley far quicker than any other bike IMO.
timspong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
ArmSC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
I'm the same boat. I've got a dl650 and 1000. I love the power of the 1000. But its still no tourer... I've done every mod I can to both bikes and I still can't ride more than a few hours without sore neck and shoulders. I'd like a bike I can ride all day in comfort.

I'm not sure if a gs1150 will do it for me or should I go the full luxury tourer route ala Electra glide or goldwing.
Go for the wing! The Electra just seems bulky...I've seen a wing do things that I thought they weren't supposed to.

"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens."
ArmSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #18
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
You know I don't want to thread jack but I've used both bikes and liked both. I could buy a wing tomorrow and be happy, but I've also done a 400 Mile day on an EG and felt like I could do it all over again. My problem with the EG is I've never seen myself as a cruiser guy especially a Harley. I think I'll start a thread on this..

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
Personally I don't like to have too many bikes that overlap that much. (Mind you I have a R100GS and DL650) so I have a DL650 and a Honda 919 as well as the GS and a caferacer guzzi.
I have to agree. I'm finding my existing collection has too much overlap. That's why I've decided to change things around. Of the bikes listed in my sig I will keep my DRZ, sell the KTM, KLR, and Vstrom. I will replace the Vstrom with a Stelvio and have been reconfiguring my DRZ a bit to cover some of what the KLR did. The DRZ/Stelvio should cover my Trail/Dual Sport/Adventure/Touring spectrum.

But I really want a 3rd bike that is quite different and will most likely be a 3 or 4 cylinder standard/sport type road bike, no crotch rocket, but something like the older UJM or maybe a modern naked, just not sure which yet. Maybe a 1st gen FZ1, 919, ZRX1200R, Street Triple R, FZ8, ??? Squish, how do you like your 919?

But each of the bikes should offer a unique riding experience and the group should cover a wide range of riding needs.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #20
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
I chose the Explorer. Sold a Norge, SuperDuke, and working on selling a TDM to get it.

I love KTM, but had a 950 and tired of the maintenance. I can't stand Yamaha street bikes (love my WR450 however). Ducatis scare me from a cost and maintenance perspective. I don't want a BMW, for no real fault of the bike/brand.

Personally, I think with any of those choices you'll never ride the weestrom. Too much overlap as mentioned above.

Two weeks ago I put 2700 miles on a 800XC (wife's bike) riding it home from Florida. I found it to be the most enjoyable motorcycling experience I have had (30+ years, 50+ bikes, lots and lots of miles). I was so enamored I ran out and bought a 1200 within a week of my return.

So with that, don't discount an 800 Tiger either.

YMMV

Great sum up
Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #21
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by timspong View Post
I would vote the Harley bagger. Once you factor in depreciation it is cheaper to own than both the GW and GS. Plus nothing is like touring the US on a Harley. A lot more support also with spare parts/ mechanics everywhere. Plus it will likely open a lot more hospitality doors when your on the road.
A few months ago I would have snorted coffee out of my nose onto the keyboard upon reading this, but as I turn 65 in a few months I've been thinking about "the next bike" to replace my DL1000 VStrom. The Harley Switchback is looking pretty interesting for the reasons that you mention, plus it may make the perfect adventure sidecar tug with the addition of a reverse gear, 15" auto wheels and a leading-link front end. Something to think about....
Old 05-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #22
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,308
My understanding is OP was replacing the wee. "Getting a new adventure bike".

I recommend just keeping the wee. It's too complicated trying to decide.
Besides, you need more seat time to know what you really want. LOL.

Quote:
A few months ago I would have snorted coffee out of my nose onto the keyboard upon reading this, but as I turn 65 in a few months I've been thinking about "the next bike" to replace my DL1000 VStrom. The Harley Switchback is looking pretty interesting for the reasons that you mention, plus it may make the perfect adventure sidecar tug with the addition of a reverse gear, 15" auto wheels and a leading-link front end. Something to think about....

Funny, I went down to the local HD dealer and test rode one of those. Then took a heritage softail out just to make sure I hadn't just completely missed something. Both drug the bottom (foot boards?) on a mild test drive....I would have sparks flying all the time on one of those. The Switchback has side bags big enough to stuff one pair of riding pants liners, and it shakes like a paint mixer. It vibrates so much your feet slide back on the footboards. Going down the freeway you feel every crack in the road. It was so bad I couldn't even see the road, everything was bouncing around so bad it was just a blur. I could not F'ing believe it. Here I've been riding for over 40 years and thought I just must be missing something, they are so damn popular. OMFG!! Got back on my Tiger to head home and still just couldn't believe it. It's like a hundred year spread of technological development.

I told wifey I was getting two full-sleeve tats and a harley, grow out my hair and beard, and get a black leather vest with a eagle on the back. She said I had been watching too much TV (sons of anarchy) LOL.

I could probably deal with a mid-control dyna for local bar hopping, get a lycra shirt with tat knock-offs. Probably have to do this before I die. That and get a Ducati of some sort....just because I think every rider otta have one each of all the coolest bikes.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #23
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Funny, I went down to the local HD dealer and test rode one of those. Then took a heritage softail out just to make sure I hadn't just completely missed something. Both drug the bottom (foot boards?) on a mild test drive....I would have sparks flying all the time on one of those. The Switchback has side bags big enough to stuff one pair of riding pants liners, and it shakes like a paint mixer. It vibrates so much your feet slide back on the footboards. Going down the freeway you feel every crack in the road. It was so bad I couldn't even see the road, everything was bouncing around so bad it was just a blur. I could not F'ing believe it.

I could probably deal with a mid-control dyna for local bar hopping....
You've awakened a repressed memory. About 15 years ago a friend and I took our families down to Marathon Key for the Christmas holidays. He had business connections with a national RV & bike rental company so once the families were settled in we caught a flight up to Miami to pick up a couple of bikes - a Buell and a Dyna. I started out on the Buell but traded off for the Dyna around Homestead AFB. It shook like one of those old-time paint shakers that you sometimes see in paint stores. By the time that we reached Marathon I was in pain - my back, my wrists, my knees, my ears, my ass,... everything. The first thing out of my mouth when we stopped was, "I need a F'ing beer." Guess that's why you see so many of 'em stopped in front of taverns. Thanks for reminding me - scratch the Switchback.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 12:58 PM
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #24
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,843
I'm thinking the OP disappeared on us.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #25
timspong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Well the big HD Baggers (road king, road glide, street glide & Electra glide) are in a different class to the rest of the HD range IMO. The isolated engine makes quite a bit of difference, they are so much roomier than the smaller dyna's and have much better suspension than the soft-tails etc. Also harley will let you road test anything so definitely give one a ride just for the hell of it.
timspong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #26
dirt donkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
I chose the Explorer. Sold a Norge, SuperDuke, and working on selling a TDM to get it.

I love KTM, but had a 950 and tired of the maintenance. I can't stand Yamaha street bikes (love my WR450 however). Ducatis scare me from a cost and maintenance perspective. I don't want a BMW, for no real fault of the bike/brand.

Personally, I think with any of those choices you'll never ride the weestrom. Too much overlap as mentioned above.

Two weeks ago I put 2700 miles on a 800XC (wife's bike) riding it home from Florida. I found it to be the most enjoyable motorcycling experience I have had (30+ years, 50+ bikes, lots and lots of miles). I was so enamored I ran out and bought a 1200 within a week of my return.

So with that, don't discount an 800 Tiger either.

YMMV
Sell the Wee and get a Tiger 800 (XC). I have 10,000 miles on my XC and it just feels like my WR250R but way bigger in every respect. Much more road worthy than the WR. it is not a dual sport bike in my opinion but can easily handle most off pavement conditions.. The bike is 500 lbs so you don't want it landing on you. I am actually selling the XC to get the 800 Roadie. I am short. and if the bias is more road with occasional dirt then the 800 is a better way to go. If you are planning on at least 80/20 road/dirt then the XC would be an option.
out of the 10,000 miles i rode the XC about 50miles was off road. So pretty much a no brainer in terms of selling the bike.

there is not replacement for a nicley farkled WR250 it is a bit underpowered, but does a lot well... For what it is.... I think a nice addition for me around town and splitting traffic would be a DRZ 400supermoto or DR650?

the WR250 i have in California City parked there for the times i make it up there. Setup for dirt right now... with a good pair of 17" wheels it would be a good around town bike.
dirt donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #27
brad1098
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Honda CT 110
brad1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #28
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt donkey View Post
>snip
I am actually selling the XC to get the 800 Roadie.
>snip.
I would imagine you might find a roadie owner that would trade you. I dunno, I'm just guessing there are a few out there that went that way that wished they'd gotten the XC.

But you do have a point there, the new Tiger is a stellar bike. I have experience with V-stroms, and the Tiger is a much more refined motorbike. I love my XC as well. Currently I wouldn't trade it for anything. We'll see in a few years.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #29
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Opinions for a 2nd bike.

I have a Scram and a Tiger 1050 and I have decided to do the forks and keep the 1050. I WILL end up with an 800XC next year when the final payments is over on the 1050. I figure the XC will give me the power and off road ability that I only dream about on the Scram (well I do it and my dentist loves it!).
Bugchewer is offline   Reply With Quote