Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 03:25 AM   #31
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,559
I like my gremlin bell, even though a biker friend of mine told me that a Gremlin bell is just identification, it tells the real bikers who to beat up.

Serves the same purpose as the St. Christopher and other trinkets I wear on a chain around my neck. Nobody ever tells me to rip the crap off my necklace and throw it away, but people constantly bitch at me about the bell on my bike.

Funny thing though I just remembered the bell is hanging on my key rack, it fell off in the driveway a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:38 AM   #32
bluegreen OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
How about, "There are 2 kinds of riders. Those that have crashed. And those that will crash." That is total bullshit. People either subliminally or blatantly wanting everyone to crash to validate their opinions on the subject.
It's funny, the only time I've ever had someone say that to me was a friend who had two crashes in a 12 month period. I also think they were both his fault ( well one, the other could have been prevented by him).

I do the talking to her/patting her like a horse too.
bluegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:43 AM   #33
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,795
I pee standing up..............

On a serious note. I think many of us probably have our own little rituals whether we realize them or not. I always get on the bike, lock the front brake, and bounce the forks once or twice.
Then its ignition ON, wait for tach to sweep, kill switch ON, in that order. If I should happen to screw up the order theres a good chance I am not riding....because on the Buell there's a good chance I just fouled a plug.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by opticalmace View Post
Never run over a black cat twice. It's bad luck.
Wouldn't this be like a double negative? Run over it twice and it's GOOD luck?
Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #34
opticalmace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
I pee standing up..............

On a serious note. I think many of us probably have our own little rituals whether we realize them or not. I always get on the bike, lock the front brake, and bounce the forks once or twice.
Then its ignition ON, wait for tach to sweep, kill switch ON, in that order. If I should happen to screw up the order theres a good chance I am not riding....because on the Buell there's a good chance I just fouled a plug.....

Wouldn't this be like a double negative? Run over it twice and it's GOOD luck?
Good point. That would explain a lot!
opticalmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #35
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,187
Once or twice a year I feel bad joo joo and I won't ride that day.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #36
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
How about people who are in denial about the risks of motorcycles?

I am not saying every rider will go down. But the more you ride, the greater chance some damn thing could happen. A deer jumping out, ect.
You obviously do not understand statistics. Every ride has the same odds for crashing, assuming the same riding conditions.

As for ass umptions, well, we all have one.

My only "superstition" is that when I feel nervous about riding for any reason, I don't if I can avoid it. It is usually because I am not at the top of my game!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #37
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 616
I mount from the kickstand side.

Thats all I got folks.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #38
Reduxalicious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
My own personal experience, When I'm suiting up to go for a ride, If I have a nervous knot in my stomach, I know it'll be a good ride, If I'm feeling real comfortable, not nervous and really calm, I need to be on the look out--For some reason the days I have the knot, nothing happens, the days I don't and feel calm, a Cager about slams into me, or something else crazy like that.
Reduxalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #39
luckygrownup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contevita View Post
I imagine myself in a horrific accident.....how I would be ejected from the bike, how it would sound, how time would seem to slow down while in the air. Then I shake it off and go. I've been like that since I started riding in 1987 and so far I have not wrecked yet.

I think I may have jinxed myself now, shit.
This is dangerous. You should visualize yourself arriving safely at your destination every time you get on your bike. This would be safer. Just like pro athletes that visualize goals, we can reshape our own fate through visualization. Imagining bad things will bring bad mojo. At the beginning of any journey on a motorcycle, the possible outcomes are death to rider, an accident that results in injury, mechanical failure, or a safe arrival. I visualize myself arriving safely, since I don't want any of the other issues.
luckygrownup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #40
luckygrownup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by andmoon View Post
Once or twice a year I feel bad joo joo and I won't ride that day.
I do the same. I ride 20K a year btw. I also check my biorythem when I am not feeling good.
luckygrownup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #41
opticalmace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You obviously do not understand statistics. Every ride has the same odds for crashing, assuming the same riding conditions.

As for ass umptions, well, we all have one.

My only "superstition" is that when I feel nervous about riding for any reason, I don't if I can avoid it. It is usually because I am not at the top of my game!

Jim
May be the same odds per km, but if you ride more km you're giving yourself more time at risk.
opticalmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #42
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,587
Quote:
May be the same odds per km, but if you ride more km you're giving yourself more time at risk.
Sounds reasonable, but that isn't how statistics work. Assuming identical conditions, no one ride, or no single ride 100 times increases the odds.

Then again, the real world doesn't always follow statistical norms.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #43
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,814
I don't know if it's a superstition or not, but while the bike is warming up on idle and I finish gearing up, I stop and sit on the bike for 30 seconds before taking off. I take those 30 seconds to sort of meditate. I make sure I'm mentally and physically ready for the ride, the traffic, the unexpected, even the enjoyment of the ride.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #44
pretbek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I don't know if it's a superstition or not, but while the bike is warming up on idle and I finish gearing up, I stop and sit on the bike for 30 seconds before taking off. I take those 30 seconds to sort of meditate. I make sure I'm mentally and physically ready for the ride, the traffic, the unexpected, even the enjoyment of the ride.

That's not superstition, that is mental preparation.

I have to have a certain order of things: I always put my helmet on before I put my sunglasses on, and I first start the engine and then ride away. I'm weird that way.

And I mounted a ship's bell against those road gremlins to prevent really big accidents, but I might take it off because it seems to affect handling.
pretbek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #45
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
The insurance companies know how it works. The more incident-free miles/years you rack up, the more likely you are to have incident-free miles/years in future.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote