Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
Mangiacavallo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
advice from GSA owners hoped for

hello folks.

i am about to purchase a new 1200 GSA from a dealership & i would greatly appreciate anyone telling me what i should try to get included in the deal, since i don't think they're going to move that much on the MSRP.
i'm going to ask for the 600 mi. service to be thrown in. we'll see ...
they said they'd make me a deal on anything manufactured by BMW at the dealership -- i assume this means gear, BMW accessories, etc.
i plan to purchase touratech panniers on my own.

does anyone who has experience with 1200 GSA have thoughts about what to try to get a discount on? security alarm maybe? what accessories, gear would you go after were you to buy a brand new GSA today??

by the way, this bike comes loaded with what they call "option package II," which seems to include everything except ASC (they'll discount me the cost of the BMW panniers).

I expect i'll be doing about 80% on road & 20% off. i'm 6'2" and the bike fits me well & i like the fuel capacity. that's why i'm looking at this rather than a GS.

many thanks for any advice from experienced owners.

cheers!
Mangiacavallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Pruhusky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I'm sure that dealers get squeezed all the time
for eveything at the time of sale. Having bought a
'12 in Oct '11, I've been in your boat. I didn't even
ask for the 600 mile service. It was pretty cheap anyway
and is really worthless in my opinion (I do my own everthing). I think I got
10% off all accessories when I bought it. I purposely
didn't fool around with price because I knew I'd be back.
As it happened, the following summer one of their
Techs gouged up my rear wheel while installing tires.
He ate the wheel, no questions asked. The tech parked it outside
as if nothing was wrong, but I caught it while
checking the bike over before taking off. I believe those
rears are $950 or so. I wouldn't sweat the small
stuff if I were you. These bikes are so easy to do 90% of
the maintenance on, you'll never look back.
Pruhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Mangiacavallo OP
Adventurer

interesting. okay. thanks for the advice. the pay-off is down the line, it seems.
when you say you "do everything," does that mean that the included tool kit is enough to handle the job? any special tools for maintenance that i might require in the future?
i'd appreciate your advice

cheers.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 954
You could see if they'll cut you a break on installing ASC if that's something you want.

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
Djgio
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Leaning towards the GSA myself

Hope all goes well with your purchase. Please let us know how it goes.

I am considering a a 2013 GSA myself, the 90th Anniversary Edition. Keep going back and forth between the Super Tenere and the GSA. Today I am back on the GSA.

I do have a couple of questions.

I have looked for information online about the warranty. The dealer describes it as being similar to a new car's bumper to bumper warranty. The only thing that is not covered are wear items. Is that true? Found the online manual for the GSA and it says nothing about the warranty. If it is true, repair costs should be nill in the first three years leaving me with pricey maintenance if I take it to the dealer.

Between year three and six, is there anything that typically breaks or needs major attention? I will likely spend 80% of the time on the road with the rest of the time on tame forest service dirt roads. In all likelihood I will look to trade at some point after year 5.

I read a lot about how expensive parts and service can be on these bikes. Is this something that really shouldn't worry me given my riding and time of ownership?

Thanks for any thoughts or comments.
Djgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Mangiacavallo OP
Adventurer

and on that note ... are people who are purchasing these bikes new also purchasing an extended warranty package? or are most only sticking with the included warranty?

on the Harley that i'm selling to buy the GSA, the warranty was, indeed, as you say: not applicable to "wear items." i assume (though i don't know) it would be the same for beemers.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
flyaway
chwelve

Oddometer: 67
Why not buy a used bike? Save thousands, bugs worked out, and probably pick up some accessories in the deal. Less cost outright, less sales tax, less registration cost, less insurance cost (maybe)...money left over for tools which it sounds like you need.

A security alarm...what's that worth, one half of one percent of what the bike costs?
flyaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
Mangiacavallo OP
Adventurer

well, i've been looking in the area for months for a used GSA and found very very few. it seems they're hard to find used - a good sign, i guess.
the ones i did find were priced at around a grand less than a new one ... and i figured for a grand, i'll put the first scratches on the bike myself!
Old 05-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangiacavallo View Post
hello folks.

i am about to purchase a new 1200 GSA from a dealership & i would greatly appreciate anyone telling me what i should try to get included in the deal, since i don't think they're going to move that much on the MSRP.
i'm going to ask for the 600 mi. service to be thrown in. we'll see ...
they said they'd make me a deal on anything manufactured by BMW at the dealership -- i assume this means gear, BMW accessories, etc.
i plan to purchase touratech panniers on my own.

does anyone who has experience with 1200 GSA have thoughts about what to try to get a discount on? security alarm maybe? what accessories, gear would you go after were you to buy a brand new GSA today??

by the way, this bike comes loaded with what they call "option package II," which seems to include everything except ASC (they'll discount me the cost of the BMW panniers).

I expect i'll be doing about 80% on road & 20% off. i'm 6'2" and the bike fits me well & i like the fuel capacity. that's why i'm looking at this rather than a GS.

many thanks for any advice from experienced owners.

cheers!
Man I would think with the new GS out and the new Adventure not too far off they would be discounting these.

I remember I bought my '09 GSA in December of 2009 for $16,500 and it was the premium package bike. BMW was giving huge incentives because the camheads were coming out.

Now I don't think BMW has any incentives right now.

Call as many dealers as you can and then make you dealer match the best price.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
Djgio
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Been looking as well for a used GSA. Found a couple, and I repeat, a couple, that I might consider, but for the price being asked, I agree with Mangiacavallo, I'd rather spend a little more and put the first few dings in it myself.

There really are not that many out there.

Dealer said the new water GSAs will not be out until this time next year and I figure they will need a year to work out the bugs, given the release of the GSW, and I can't wait that long.
Djgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
SeeRace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
When I bought my first GS from the dealer they offered the same as the OP, a discount on any gear in the store. I took advantage and got a good deal on helmets,jackets, boots, pants, etc. A lot better than 10%. I would ask for 20% discount on gear for a one time purchase.
SeeRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
Pruhusky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Well, the tool kits are a joke. I remember when they used to include things one could use in the kit. It's so pointless, I threw mine in the garage, and like most folks, pieced together a good kit that stays in BMW / Touratech pannier all the time. You'll need a coil removal tool, 3/8 drive with extension and socket for the plugs, a half dozen or so torx sockets, up to 55 I believe, some female torx sockets, some feeler gauges for the valves. Oil filter wrench can be as cheap as $5 at Autozone. BMW clones are $25 and up. I've owned a bunch of bikes in my short life: 45--the GS series is a breeze. Heavy? Yes. But it's the best handling 600lbs you'll ever ride. How many bikes go 375 on a tank, AND handle better when loaded down with packed panniers and gas? Oh, don't forget the spokes. No need for a special wrench either. Your torx bit and driver will handle them too. Not sure where your from, but swing up to Vermont someday and I'll show you how to service your bike. Why pay a dealer $65 an hour? Plus, once you know easy it is, you'll be in control.
Pruhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
I got 25% off anything in the dealership or something they could special order. That was valid for 30 days after I bought my GSA. The OEM tool kit is not enough to work on your bike. It's just a screwdriver, a couple Torx wrenches and oil filler remover. Look in the FAQ for tools needed to do your own maintenance. I pieced together every tool I need to do maintenance on my bike and it still fits under the seat.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
sonarman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
new GSA

I just bought a 90th Anniversary GSA and the dealer did not appear to be in any hurry to depart with hence not much chiseling to be done 10 percent off on accessories can be expected. I also looked a used ones and the price was to close to the new ones, so I went new.
sonarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
Mr.Mushman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyaway View Post
Why not buy a used bike? Save thousands, bugs worked out, and probably pick up some accessories in the deal. Less cost outright, less sales tax, less registration cost, less insurance cost (maybe)...money left over for tools which it sounds like you need.

A security alarm...what's that worth, one half of one percent of what the bike costs?
+1 !!!
Bought a used 2012 last summer with less than 6000 miles and saved a ton money, it came with a bunch of extra parts and accessories, the bike was in top shape (and still is). I did look for a couple of months but the wait was well worth it on every level. I knew exactly what I wanted so I just had to be patient and it paid off, but at the same time depending on where you live you might be itching as riding season is right around the corner and buying new might be your best option. Keep us posted on your search and good luck !!!