Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
1 week in California...

HI!!

Well I am thinking that this summer I will have 6-9 days off and would like to tour California, my neighbor, so getting there is only a 1 hr (60 mile event).

I would like you to recommend some killer roads, I have the Butler maps for north and south California, plus MS street and trips,, but I would like to pick your brains on this one.

I like camping so I would be doing that, also don't mind RV parks, and economical motels (Motel 6 type) if too much rain is ahead of me or need to do laundry.

I would like to see some great roads, Yosemite and hwy 1 (north of SF) I do not care for cities, LA? NO WAY, SF? been there, Napa? nice, only if I run into it, I have enough wine down here anyway. So woods, mountains and twisty roads are what I want.

I will be doing this solo, on my KLR, starting in San Diego with a big (500-600 mile day) just to get away. Also I do see my self staying 2-3 nights in one part and then just ridding a lot in the area.

I do not have to see it all, just the best 2-4 spots (Redwood, Big Sur, Yosemite)

Thanks

Damasovi

PS. If it makes a differences I would be doing the trip in July, any time from week 1 until 3

damasovi screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 12:10 AM Reason: added a PS
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:17 AM   #2
forxlr8n
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
When I was outside LA for training we had two days for us to look around. We found Idyllwild,Ca by pure mistake. Look it up.
forxlr8n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
westcoasttrekker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Carrizo Plain looks like a cool place to ride:
Here is a RR from inmate NSFW:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=811515

The Lost Coast looks to be a popular one:
Reddog1's RR:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879049

Back when I lived in CA I used to make deliveries to Lake Issabela. You can do a loop route up Hwy 178 and back down Hwy 155. Hwy 155 was remote and had some great scenery.

My Pics
westcoasttrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,072
The passes that run across the Sierras-hwy 120,108.4 89,88,50.Run them from the east slope off of 395.Unless you havent been to Yosemite I would avoid it.The tourist are to busy looking for bears and there are federal rangers with radar guns loooking for speeders.The Pashnit motorcycle tours website has pics of the sierra mountain roads
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
The passes that run across the Sierras-hwy 120,108.4 89,88,50.
That is where you will find amazing twisties.

There are some great campgrounds along the Big Sur coast. You will need reservations, however, so you will need to plan that first leg of the trip. One campsite overlooks a waterfall dropping onto the beach, and that one may already be booked for the summer.

To avoid the San Francisco Bay Area, head east to explore the Sierra through central California. At Monterey, head toward Mariposa on Hwy 140. There is a really nice Youth Hostel there called Yosemite Bug Hostel (named for their iron insect sculptures). They have tents you can stay in, as well as other options. After checking out Yosemite, cross 120, and come back on 108 to camp in Stainislaus National Forest (easy to find a spot). Next day, go over Hwy 4 (stopping to see the Big Trees State Park redwoods), then half way back on 88, turning onto 89 toward Lake Tahoe. These two days will probably be exactly what you are looking for.

From there, head straight for the Napa Valley, but skip the wineries. Take some of the roads in the northern end of Napa and Sonoma valleys, because they are like riding through English countryside. Eventually, you will end up back on Hwy 1, where you can head up the coast.

Depending on how much time you have left, you could cut across through Chico to Hwy 395, and take that all the way back down. Watch out for speeding tickets when 395 crosses into Nevada. Nevada Highway Patrol does not give warnings.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
DirtRider....
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
If you have time to go further north up the coast you should make it to Highway 36. one of the best highways with twisties and scenery imo... take that east to the super slab Interstate 5 to head home if needed.

in Yosemite just watch out for the cagers. with so much to see and soo many people on the small 2 lane roads... u get the picture.

Also Yosemite dont forget to hike thru the giant red wood trees.. i think its the south or west entrance to the park. all u have to do is turn right just after the entry gate and drive a few miles if that to see some HUGE beautiful red woods.. you will know when u see them!!!

Solvang is also a fun little town with great breakfast and food. the drive to Solvang is just outside Santa Barbara... there are a few different ways to get there... one is twisty and the other is easy flowing road.
DirtRider.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

THank you!

Thanks guys!!

I have mix reviews about doing Yosemite since it is the busiest NP and July is when everybody comes, but then again it is worth it.... I will see when the time comes.

I would do a long first day to get to central/north Cali and then just enjoy it after that, and maybe finish it with a Moto GP ending....

Thanks and keep it coming

Damasovi
Old 05-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
Thanks guys!!

I have mix reviews about doing Yosemite since it is the busiest NP and July is when everybody comes, but then again it is worth it.... I will see when the time comes.

I would do a long first day to get to central/north Cali and then just enjoy it after that, and maybe finish it with a Moto GP ending....

Thanks and keep it coming

Damasovi
There have been traffic delays in Yosemite during peak season, but it generally doesn't get that crowded. The big lines are at the gift shops and snack bars. Bring your own sack lunch from outside the park to avoid all that.

Finishing at MotoGP would be awesome. I have been attending every year for over a decade. A group of friends I have known since 6th grade and I reserve campsite 123 in Gran Prix Campground (on the hill at the south end of the track). Stop by to say hello, and we'll have a cold one waiting for you.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Thanks guys!!

You could just skip the valley, and go up to Glacier Pt and look down.

sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,357
Absolutely the best way to visit Nat'l Parks , or any of them in tourist season , is to plan to be at the gate when it opens. The band of people and the tour buses don't usually get there till after 9AM. And, for sure not on weekends are holidays.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

very cool advice! we may hit Yosemite, my friend wants to go, so maybe you could camp close enough and be able to make it to the 7 am? opening of the park, on a Wednesday.

Thanks people!

Damasovi
Old 05-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
maybe you could camp close enough and be able to make it to the 7 am?

Damasovi
Absolutely. There is cheap (free?) river side camping in Briceburg on Hwy 140 not far from the park, or a youth hostel in that same area that has everything from permanent tents to private rooms.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,109
Leaving San Diego

I'd ride east on I 8 and then take SR79 north. It's at moderate altitude (mostly around 3000'-4000'. It's a pleasantly curvy and scenic route. A slight detour will take you up and down Palomar Mountain which is a favorite twisty bit for those with any squidly tendencies. Continue north on SR79, then ENE on SR371 to SR74 and then Hwy 243 through Idyllwild. A nice campground I like is just past Idyllwild/Pine Cove (good food at Aroma Cafe and Idyllwild Cafe) and is called Boulder Basin. You get a bit of dirt road riding. Then down Hwy 243 all the way to I10.

In the interest of time, I'd skip Hwy 38 to Big Bear and slab it west on I-10 to I-215/15 and then turn off on SR138 west. Take SR2 to/thru Wrightwood. I usually take N4 to Palmdale and then blast west from I 14 on 138 to I-5. There are several ways over to the coast but I like working my way to SR58 (it will be hot) and coming into Paso Robles via back roads. Then take SR46 west (or Santa Rosa Creek Road) to Cambria on Hwy 1. Then Hwy 1 north

This will get you up to hwy 1 in a day and a half or so
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #14
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

JOnz! that sounds like fun, and I have gone up to Palomar and it is a very nice road!

Thanks

Damasovi
Old 06-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #15
SilverBike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Sequoia

Highly recommend you to visit Sequoia National Park. From Sequoia, you can also visit Yosemite.

My own opinion, Sequoia is better than Yosemite for camping.

If you're looking for some killer roads, turn right on Mineral King Road (Sequoia). Otherwise, just keep straight, you'll head to Sequoia also. Pls be careful when you're on Mineral King Road, it's kind of dangerous. I would not recommend it.

Have fun & ride safe.
SilverBike is offline   Reply With Quote