User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
secondofangle OP
Coprolalic Apostate

Oddometer: 41
Rigid Industries LED lights on GS WITH PICS

On my GS, I'm obsessed with lighting. I went through several quad light setups and then I was at a BMW GS rally in Utah this past weekend, and a guy introduced me to Rigid Industries LED lights. I got home Sunday night and had 3 sets of lights sent next day air and installed 2 Dually Spots and 2 D2 Driving lights tonight on the GS. (I'll probably return the set of Dually floods, I have not installed them.)

The Dually lights are 4 LEDs on each light that draw 20 watts total and produce 1556 lumens EACH light (total of teh 4 LEDs), and the D2s are 6 LEDs that draw 28 watts and produce a whopping 2600 lumens EACH light (total of 6 LEDS on each light). I installed two of each (Dually and D2) on the GS. Pics below show the lighting they produce. Kurt at Black Dog Cycle works rightly suggested the Duallys (with or without amber covers) for running lights, and the D2s for High Beams/night driving. I installed them to operate independently (each pair) via 2 PIAA wiring harness/relays.

High beam and all 4 Rigid lights from front during early evening/daylight

low beams

High beams

High beams plus duallys

High beams, Duallys and D2s

Set up pics for the interested. Wiring has not been heat shrink tubed and tucked and tied yet. Engine and tank bars are Hepco Becker (sp?). Dually (4 LEDs) on top and D2s (6 LEDs) on bottom.

secondofangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
Just be careful you don't "overlight", keep them low and forward to reduce back glare, and if you don't already, put a glare guard on your light protector or better yet, ditch it in favor of a mesh protector. Also remember, overlighting cn be as bad as underlighting.

This is what I did, and I am not saying it is the best by no stretch, but it works very well for me.

I have Duelly D2's mounted on top and switch them through a Radio Shack relay triggered from the high beam switch, they are the spot configuration and aimed downroad. The bottom are the regular Duelly's in amber, switched with the OEM driving light switch. I was hesitant about the amber but Kurt's wife at Black Dog Cycle Works convinced me and I couldn't be happier, the amber color improves color rendering and makes things close by really pop. They are in the flood configuration and as you can probably tell, the right one is aimed toward the right, it helps me detect fuzzy bastards. I also changed the low beam headlight to an HID, I recommend a kelvin range of 2.5-3.5 K.

Side view of the mount, I used the Excel Cycle Werkes mount.

YMMV but this works great for me.
1981 CB900C
I'm not a glass half empty or full guy, I am just happy to have the damn glass!
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,169
As a bonus you can hang a chicken out there on a stick and cook him as you travel along... ready to go when you get to your destination