Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
Phat Ham OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
summer waterproof gloves

Does such a thing even exist?

I have a pair of Klim Element short gloves, which have a GoreTex waterproof membrane and a very thin insulating layer. Above 70 degrees my hands start to get sweaty and I switch to a pair of unlined Alpinestars gloves I've had for a few years. I'm wondering if there are any waterproof gloves that do a decent job of keeping cool even in warmer temperatures. I realize everyone has different tolerances, and I'm not expecting anything to be cool when it's 95 degrees out, but I'm hoping there's something that works well in the 70-85 degree range. So far I've come across:

Rukka Apollo - These have no insulation as far as I can tell. I wonder if they will be any cooler than the Klim Elements I already have.

Held Air n Dry - These have the neat two pocket system but the problem with these is if it starts raining and I have my hand in the non-dry side of the glove I still have to pull over to switch from one pocket to the other. This is only slightly better than pulling over and putting on a different pair of gloves.

Anything else out there people have had good experience with?
Phat Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Ham View Post
only slightly better than pulling over and putting on a different pair of gloves.
I think it is immensely better. it is not like pulling on a new pair of gloves is a huge time sucking ordeal. But having to carry two pairs of gloves is a pretty big pain in the butt. This is a major reason I am considering these gloves.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 5,321
I've never found anything even remotely waterproof that isn't too warm for me . . .

I don't mind carrying extra gloves on a day long ride, and, whem I'm commuting, it just isn't that big a deal for me . . . .
Old 05-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
Phat Ham OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post
I think it is immensely better. it is not like pulling on a new pair of gloves is a huge time sucking ordeal. But having to carry two pairs of gloves is a pretty big pain in the butt. This is a major reason I am considering these gloves.
well for me the pain in the butt part is having to pull over.
Phat Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
CreatureCore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I don't get why it's so bad to spend thirty seconds to put on new gloves. You stop at red lights i assume when you hit one. Just pretend it's a red light stop. The aerostich 3 finger over gloves are great. Stuff super small in a tank bag and go over any glove you like.
CreatureCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
pos90
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I have yet to try them in anything above the low 70's but so far I'm liking my REV'IT Phantom GTX.
pos90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,041
I'm looking for a pair as well. If you guys find a pair that actully work, let the rest of us know.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
bimmer5891
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
BMW Pro Summer

Quote:

I have a pair of Klim Element short gloves, which have a GoreTex waterproof membrane and a very thin insulating layer. Above 70 degrees my hands start to get sweaty and I switch to a pair of unlined Alpinestars gloves I've had for a few years. I'm wondering if there are any waterproof gloves that do a decent job of keeping cool even in warmer temperatures. I realize everyone has different tolerances, and I'm not expecting anything to be cool when it's 95 degrees out, but I'm hoping there's something that works well in the 70-85 degree range. So far I've come across:

Rukka Apollo - These have no insulation as far as I can tell. I wonder if they will be any cooler than the Klim Elements I already have.

Held Air n Dry - These have the neat two pocket system but the problem with these is if it starts raining and I have my hand in the non-dry side of the glove I still have to pull over to switch from one pocket to the other. This is only slightly better than pulling over and putting on a different pair of gloves.

Anything else out there people have had good experience with?
Try the BMW Pro Summer Gloves. I have a pair and absolutely love them. Reasonably price for a Goretex Glove. They are waterproof and light enough that they are not too bad even on the hot days.
http://parts.crosscountrycycle.net BMW, Ducati, Triumph Parts Fiche
http://www.crosscountrycycle.net Main Website
bimmer5891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer5891 View Post
Try the BMW Pro Summer Gloves. I have a pair and absolutely love them. Reasonably price for a Goretex Glove. They are waterproof and light enough that they are not too bad even on the hot days.
These are great gloves, waterPROOF, and since they have the Extrafit that is bonded to the outer layer, they don't have that annoying fleece that pulls out. However, they have next to no protection. I replaced mine with Held Rainstar. These are pretty sweet. I can wear them into the low 70's like the BMW ProSummer I replaced, but there is actually some useful protection there. Highly recommended.

I'm a solid 9 in Held. These fit the same, but the thumbs are pretty tight. I actually stuck a socket in to stretch them out a touch and that worked well.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:48 AM   #10
juddspaintballs
Never too many bikes

Oddometer: 68
BMW Atlantis 3 gloves. They are waterproof, but most importantly they have a double gauntlet so one can go inside of your sleeve and the other outside of your sleeve with drain holes in the bottom so water cannot run down your arm and into your glove through the wrist.

You can't say happiness without saying penis.
juddspaintballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #11
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 895
No such animal. Anything waterproof is going to be too warm when it gets seriously hot. Wear a decent summer glove and use Lobster Claws when it rains.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:37 AM   #12
Lanu
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Rukka Apollo

Quote:

I own a pair of Apollo's and your hands will sweat like a mother. They're most definitely not what you're looking for.
Lanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 610
If it's that warm out, why do you care if your hands get wet?

The only reason I would worry about it is if I were wearing leather gloves, which are not good to get wet.

Get some Motoport Kevlar racing gloves and don't even worry about it when it's warm out and you hit some rain.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #14
Tripletrouble
Farkle addict

Oddometer: 66
I use Alpinestars 365 gloves. Reasonably thin, waterproof and not too hot, certainly in the UK climate anyway.
Tripletrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:27 AM   #15
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
You don't need or want water proof gloves in the summer. The waterproof membrane is going prevent them from properly venting and make them a lot hotter and if it does rain damp hands won't bother you in hot weather.

IMO waterproof gloves are for cool to cold weather.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote