Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #16
wrc7732
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I wear wolverine 1000 mile boots to ride in. Fortunately I can't tell you how they compare. They are comfortable, and I feel as though they're a tough boot.
wrc7732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #17
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,971
I say proper protective motorcycle boots are quite important. I've crashed on race tracks or dirt a bunch and other than knocking myself out a couple of times, never been hurt. And that includes sliding along with the bike on top of my leg.

Now, it's true I ride my Harley with just regular leather boots. But, it's silly really.

If that's the way you have to go, the best of breed custom made is The Boss boot by Wesco:

http://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/stock2010.asp

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #18
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,541
If you are going to ride on a closed paved track...buy a MC specific boot built for that specific purpose.

If you are going to ride a lot of off-road or single track dirt...buy a MC specific boot built for that specific purpose.

If you are going to ride primarily pavement...buy a comfortable leather boot that you can wear several days in a row without becoming uncomfortable.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #19
a41capt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Red wings

I wear a steel-toe Redwing boot that I buy for my fire station duty boot. They're all leather uppers with a lug sole and I purchase a zipper kit to go with them negating the lace problem.

While I haven't had my R1200GS on top of my ankle, I did drop my 950 Adventure on it a couple times, and while it did bruise me up a tiny bit, I didn't see any other injury.

They're not cheap costing a bit over $240 with tax, but I can get them in my 12 1/2 EEE anytime I want them, and they are available in many more sizes and widths too.

Here's a link:
http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing...nch-boot-black

You may also want the zipper kit for these boots to avoid lace entanglement. I use them for easy on and off at the fire station as well as ridding myself of laces when riding.

I usually get 2 to 3 years of everyday use out of these before they're ready to be resoled, YMMV...

John

Theodore Roosevelt
May 13, 1903
Molon Labe!
a41capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:26 AM   #20
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmo View Post
If you are going to ride on a closed paved track...buy a MC specific boot built for that specific purpose.
True and false. True. I had racing boots while riding on the race track and they took a beating while my feet didn't. False. I know folks who have trouble walking today due to ANKLE injuries sustained while on a bike on regular city streets at very legal speeds.

Because of these street accidents, I now wear the most ankle protection I can stand. Sure, you need to protect your little piggies from being ground down if caught under the bike, but we need to factor in hard armor and padding for the ankle and heel. I've only found this built into bike specific boots.

Bring your favorite comfy shoes along for the ride in a tailbag. Wear the bike boots for the ride. Then you can relax knowing you have done all you can do to be able to walk and run for the rest of your life, should the unthinkable happen.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:48 AM   #21
Ulyssessix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Steel Toe Boots

Quote:
I wear a steel-toe Redwing boot that I buy for my fire station duty boot. They're all leather uppers with a lug sole and I purchase a zipper kit to go with them negating the lace problem.
I usually caution people against steel toe work boots and riding. They do not have ankle protection and the steel toe itself can injure your foot in a crash. I use to do the same thing and went down on ice. The boot I was wearing was only a 6" boot and the only injury I sustain was to my foot and ankle. The boot's sole came a part and steel toe rolled my toes backwards.

I know of two other riders that end up with foot injuries wearing steel toe boots. One t-boned a car when the woman turned in front of him. He ended up loosing toes because his boot ended up between the car and the bike. Other than that he did not sustain any life altering injuries.

The latest just happened a few weeks ago when a forest rat jumped out in front of a friend, broke his shoulder, leather jacket with no armor, and broken foot. Thankfully it was cold and he was wearing more gear than normal including a full face modular helmet. He's one of those guys that has been riding for forty years and never been off, so his gear choices have always been slight. That helmet took a beating and he is a believer now. Having the experience of tumbling down a road at 60 mph gives you a new prospective on gear. His 3/4 helmets are gone and he is looking for full gear now including riding boots.

Anyone else have similar experiences with steel toe work boots?

06 Buell Ulysses
99 Buell M2 Cyclone
99 Honda Z50R (Hot Rod)

Ulyssessix screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 05:01 AM
Ulyssessix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #22
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Steel-toed boots are very effective at cutting off toes if/when the toe gets crushed.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #23
chrisf14
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Good Boots

Your riding a large BMW. So MX boots are the best protection but over kill for you. I ride a KTM 990 and use good work boots. If you use cheap boots or even some street bike boots (like a harley guy would wear). The bottoms are soft. So when you stand on the pegs the boot start bend around the peg. Hurts your feet if you like to stand when you ride. You should have ankle support so again Harley boot or Cowboy boots NO GOOD! Pro riding boots have a very hard (some use metal plate) in the boot. This is so when you stick you foot out you don't break your toe's on a rock.(I don't mean steel tip boots).

So just buy a 8" high quality work boot. That fit you right.

The Wife! I don't recommend because No ankle support.
Africa-South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland.
chrisf14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #24
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
I personally don't think boots have to be motorcycle specific.
They need to provide proper protection and support.
Best I've had are "Herman Survivors" from WalMart of all places.
7' high, full lace, side zip, oil resistant sole-can walk all day (when not riding), very comfortable, flexible and waterproof (says so on the box) and 60 bucks if I remember.
I think there is a lot of marketing hype with motorcycle specific boots plus I don't quite get the 150+ buck prices.
nbsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #25
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Steel-toed boots are very effective at cutting off toes if/when the toe gets crushed.

Never though about that.
That explains the OSHA requirement.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #26
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
Can you list any names of custom motorcycle boot makers in the US? All I can seem to find are overseas.

try here
http://www.americansworking.com/boots.html
Old 05-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #27
olymax
stupid grin

Oddometer: 22
Good road motorbike boots restrict plantarflexion (which made it hard for me to drive when I went to pick up my new GS last August). This helps prevent Lisfranc injury in a crash: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisfranc_injury
olymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #28
ChildlikeWonder OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbsdave View Post
Never though about that.
That explains the OSHA requirement.
I have a lot of friends who work in fields where OSHA requires steel toed boots and they have all told me the same thing - that all the steel toes do is sever the toes cleanly, or alternatively provide a nice casket for your now-flattened toes.
ChildlikeWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #29
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
I have a lot of friends who work in fields where OSHA requires steel toed boots and they have all told me the same thing - that all the steel toes do is sever the toes cleanly, or alternatively provide a nice casket for your now-flattened toes.

so, without steel toes what happens?
this seems like a darned if you do, darned if you don't situation
Old 05-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #30
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,408
I'm in the motorcycle specific boot camp.

This is what I wear. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...antiago-boots/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote