ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #31
ChildlikeWonder OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Hampton, VA
Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbsdave View Post
so, without steel toes what happens?
this seems like a darned if you do, darned if you don't situation
That's basically their position - not that steel toed is bad in their job, just that it doesn't actually help.
ChildlikeWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #32
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tacosupreme's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Pendleton, Oregon
Oddometer: 252
Just wear safety flip flops.



(I have flippers for feet and just wear good leather boots)
__________________
'12 990 with some orange stuff on it to make it go faster.
tacosupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #33
duck
Banned
 
duck's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle (Berkeley with rain)
Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbsdave View Post
Never though about that.
That explains the OSHA requirement.
I think it depends upon the environment you're working in. Drop a hammer on your toes and yeah, steel toed boots are awesome.

My summer job when I was in college was processing fish where we dealt with very heavy loaded pallets (up to 2,000+ lbs.) and forklifts and such. I always made sure to NOT wear steel toed boots because I was pretty sure they wouldn't hold up to that much weight being dropped on them.

And I don't know if it's the case now but back then many "steel-toed" boots were made out of old vegetable cans - literally. I didn't believe this until a co-worker of mine cut open an old pair and showed me.

duck screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 05:38 PM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #34
caryder
Gnarly Adventurer
 
caryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Phoenix
Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
That's basically their position - not that steel toed is bad in their job, just that it doesn't actually help.
Sounds like "no helmet" logic. So drop a heavy object on your toes that the steel toe provides the protection to prevent injury. Put on a regular work boot and do the same thing and then explain how steel toes don't help. Report on your experience.


Chuck
__________________
Chuck
2012 Honda NC700X
2006 Gas Gas 300 Pro
2003 Kawasaki KDX220R
1976 Yamaha RD400C
caryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #35
ChildlikeWonder OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Hampton, VA
Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryder View Post
Sounds like "no helmet" logic. So drop a heavy object on your toes that the steel toe provides the protection to prevent injury. Put on a regular work boot and do the same thing and then explain how steel toes don't help. Report on your experience.


Chuck
Their issue is they're working with machinery that crushes your feet, not in an environment where dropping something is a worry.
ChildlikeWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #36
markk53
jack of all trades...
 
markk53's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Delaware Ohio
Oddometer: 7,853
two possibilities:

Look for AlpineStar Super Victory or an old set of HiPoints. They don't have any internal bootie so they have little arch support, making them possibly work better for flat feet.

Get some kind of shin guards to wear if wearing work boots - it will at least protect your shins and even knees.
__________________
Ever get lost? You know, that good kind of lost - come to a dirt road intersection and you have no idea where you are or which way to turn? I like when that happens!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #37
Just Max
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Just Max's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: PA Amish Country
Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Steel-toed boots are very effective at cutting off toes if/when the toe gets crushed.
Don't you guys watch myth busters? I used to think the same thing..

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/11/e...amputatio.html
__________________
I put the F in luck
Just Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:13 AM   #38
chrisf14
Gnarly Adventurer
 
chrisf14's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Marina Del Rey, California
Oddometer: 206
This dumb ass was wearing flip flops.
__________________
Rode KTM 990s Adventure thru.
USA-48 states
Central America-Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, El Salvidor, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama.
Africa-South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland.
chrisf14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #39
WDG
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf14 View Post
This dumb ass was wearing flip flops.
GAAAH!
__________________
Cogito... Ergo, ZOOM!

Choosing a ride is much too personal to be left entirely to comparisons of spec sheets.
WDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #40
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bazgab's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf14 View Post
This dumb ass was wearing flip flops.
That was from a snake bite, picture is of Bear Grylls' producer's foot.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #41
Cataract2
Where to?
 
Cataract2's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: N. Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
That was from a snake bite, picture is of Bear Grylls' producer's foot.
Still. Gaaaaahhhh!!
__________________
People who get made because they're old, haven't lived.
Cataract2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #42
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 2,150
I wear 'race' boots such as sidi ST and vertigo corsa because they have structures designed to protect my ankles
__________________
Alan
2011 KTM RC8R
2012 BMW S1000RR
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #43
Lost Rider
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,147
Reading through this thread I think it basically comes down to two camps of views, from people who have had foot injuries or chosen wisely to go with protection before a crash or those folks lucky enough to not have had foot injuries when wearing boots that allow a foot to twist, bend or get crushed in a fall.

Even the most expensive MC boots made from unobtainium are far cheaper than a ER bill for a simple broken toe or sprained ankle that would have been avoided with protective MC specific boots. Let alone costs of a serious injury or the issues presented when you get hurt far from help or home, sitting there thinking.... I should have bought some good MC boots....
I've had a few foot injuries, my girl has had one too while riding before we opted for best protection over cost and some comfort. Since switching there's been countless times proper, stiff MC boots have saved us from injury that even a MC specific and comfortable "touring" boot would not have, let alone some leather hiking boots.

Your choice, maybe you'll go through life wearing standard leather boots without injury just like some of the old HD dudes who don't wear protective helmets, for me, surgeries, crutches and time lost from work is far more important than saving a few bucks or being a little more comfortable while walking.
__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #44
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct
 
bomber60015's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago-ish
Oddometer: 9,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Reading through this thread I think it basically comes down to two camps of views, from people who have had foot injuries or chosen wisely to go with protection before a crash or those folks lucky enough to not have had foot injuries when wearing boots that allow a foot to twist, bend or get crushed in a fall.

Even the most expensive MC boots made from unobtainium are far cheaper than a ER bill for a simple broken toe or sprained ankle that would have been avoided with protective MC specific boots. Let alone costs of a serious injury or the issues presented when you get hurt far from help or home, sitting there thinking.... I should have bought some good MC boots....
I've had a few foot injuries, my girl has had one too while riding before we opted for best protection over cost and some comfort. Since switching there's been countless times proper, stiff MC boots have saved us from injury that even a MC specific and comfortable "touring" boot would not have, let alone some leather hiking boots.

Your choice, maybe you'll go through life wearing standard leather boots without injury just like some of the old HD dudes who don't wear protective helmets, for me, surgeries, crutches and time lost from work is far more important than saving a few bucks or being a little more comfortable while walking.

^This . . .. ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances . . .me, I havn't got enough time to give any up ;-}
__________________
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #45
koorbloh
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Monroe, WA
Oddometer: 143
oh, you can't find boots that fit your width?! cry me a river.

I wear a 15. There literally are NOT widths in motorcycle boots in size 15.

sure, wear whatever you want. It's your foot.

I'll wear ill-fitting (for walking) boots on my motorcycle any day knowing the stress I've put on the boots that I wear from stuff hitting them and bikes falling over.
__________________
when I get too far from home, I go and find me a back road
koorbloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014