Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #16
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,240
No sweat. I was about to get excited when I saw the numbers, and wanted to verify. I absolutely cannot afford to go any lower on my Bonnie rig. If anything, I'd like to find a taller rear tire to help get a little more clearance. Looks like I'm just going to order a Shinko 705 and be done with it.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #17
kailuasurfer
Dreamer

Oddometer: 337
Height is an issue for me as well but I think I am going with Potenza - it has served me well on my other rig. Now for replacing the sidecar wheel and tire...
kailuasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #18
kailuasurfer
Dreamer

Check out this tire calculator: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tir...0r17-175-55r17
Old 05-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #19
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,240
Dang, I was about to order a rear tire when I realized that I have a new 140/80/17 Tourance sitting at the house that I just pulled off my new Husky TR650. I suspect it can find a home on the Bonnie instead of rotting in the garage.

Anybody run a 140 on a Bonnie before? I think it will fit just fine, but I'm a long way away from my Bonnie right now and can't check clearance.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #20
kailuasurfer
Dreamer

It should fit nicely - with a slight increase in height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Dang, I was about to order a rear tire when I realized that I have a new 140/80/17 Tourance sitting at the house that I just pulled off my new Husky TR650. I suspect it can find a home on the Bonnie instead of rotting in the garage.

Anybody run a 140 on a Bonnie before? I think it will fit just fine, but I'm a long way away from my Bonnie right now and can't check clearance.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #21
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I'm prepping to do a rear tire change to my Bonnie too. Here is my line of thinking thus far.

The stock rear tire is a 130/80 R17. I obviously want something with as flat of a profile as possible.

This tire size gets us close to the size of a compact car spare, right? So why not check it out further?

I found a tire called Continental CST. I like the tread pattern and the price.

I have found it in a 125/80/17 and a 135/90/17 here in the US.
http://simpletire.com/continental-cst17-tires

I really like the idea of the 135/90/17 because it gives me about a 1" increase in height, which my rig could use. But I haven't sold myself on this because I'm not entirely sure how these will mate up. If I recall correctly, if a car tire mounts up to a 5.5-6" rim on a car, you are going to want to mate it to a slightly more narrow rim (4.5-5") on a motorcycle. So I'm still marinating on this for the time being. I've got 6 more weeks until I'm reunited with my Triumph, so a lot of thought is going to happen between now and then.

Great find. My shallow research into the use of car tires on motorcycle rims suggests that motorcycle 17" rims are about .010" smaller in diameter than automotive 17" rims. Some folks have expressed concern about sudden loss of pressure if the bead seating fails for some reason but this application would use a tube, which to my mind addresses that point.

My big concern would be tire availability, particularly while out on a long trip. Another alternative might be to swallow hard and eat the cost of lacing up 18" wheels front & rear. Then you could use real sidecar tires like the Duro HF307, the Metzeler Block-K or the flat-profiled Avon Safety Mileage.

Raising the rear of the bike with a larger tire and dropping the front with a smaller one will reduce trail, which in turn will reduce the rig's steering effort.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 08:30 AM
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #22
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,166
I have had very good luck using Kenda K270s on my rigs. They come in 17" and are usually cheaper than the Shinko's. They have a realtively square profile which works well for sidecar rigs. A rear will fit the front rim as well, provided you have fender clearance. I do this on my Suzuli with no problems( I shimmed the fender up using longer bolts and some small bushings from NAPA).

Sometimes Cheng Shen Trials block tread comes available, also usually cheap, puts a lot of rubber on the road and wears reasonably well.
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #23
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
I have had very good luck using Kenda K270s on my rigs. They come in 17" and are usually cheaper than the Shinko's. They have a realtively square profile which works well for sidecar rigs.
Excellent advice. The beauty of the Triumph's 3.5" wide rear rim is that it will flatten the contact patch even more than, say, a KLR650's 2.5" wide rim.

Another thing to consider is finding a set of cast 17" Bonneville take-offs. No more worries about broken spokes and rims going out of true. Have Kosman widen the front to 3.5" as well and you can run the same size tires fore and aft... tubeless even.

Edit: 7/11/2013 - That advice is so good, in fact, that I just bought a GSXR 600 front wheel (17 x 3.5) for the DL1000. I still intend to adapt a 15 x 5 automotive wheel to the bike's rear but RedMenace may have helped me dodge the expense of a similar conversion for the front tire.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 08:30 AM
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote