Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #16
mka OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Thank you for your post. Foooood.....yes Italia has the best I do believe.

Had mighty food in a place by the lake - really good !! Not sure if I am allowed to mention any places in particular but this was good, good, good !

Dessert !! - because I'm worth it......!!!

I bedded down in Mandello and got a right good sleep. I was going home tomorrow so good thoughts and bad thoughts and even some other thoughts too !

Next morning I had to get a train ticket, not always in the most obvious place you would think. I went to the tabaccheria in Varenna, but they had none left, they
sent me to a bar down the road, the Beretta, no they had none either so sent me to the travel agency who did - yahoo, job done !!

I had stayed here (in Varenna) a few times before with the family and every day I used to go to the local little grocery, a brilliant shop that stocked just about everything
(but no, no train tickets !)

This little lady used to sit by the door in a tight spot which would require her to move in order for me or any one else to get in.

Each day she was there and bit by bit it became esier for me to get into the shop.

On the last morning she smiled at me and I knew then that the wall that was between us had fallen, it was wonderful !

Just like years gone by she was still there, I was moved to see her, just where she always had been.

I took her picture as a mark of respect to her and so that I have something to remember her by.

After this she looked out at me and I could swear she smiled at me.

Maybe it is just wishful thinking but I think she recognised me !

Now for a few arty farty , non biking photos to finish up.

A small river with alpine waters, cold as a witches tit.

And the first truly clear sky this trip.

Then I did everything in reverse and got home to the north west of Ireland finally around 3:30 am and into work/school run for 8:30.

This was a very short trip only a few days but I did ride about 1500 km, including all the wrong turns !

The bike performed flawlessly as always. She is cleaned up and ready for my next foray sometime in the future.

If I don't do these things I would be living in denial.

And as my sister says - denial, it's a river you know...

I go riding a lot here too, day trips etc but would like to maybe head to Scotland sometime soon..................the planning has already begun.

Thank you for your patience and your time.

Any advice on reports would be greatly appreciated so that I can do a better job in the future.

Big Ciao.

mka screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 11:39 AM
mka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #17
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,806
Sweet.

As for posting actual names of places you ate/stopped/slept/etc- AFAIK there are no "rules"... so fire away. Maybe someone else wants to check these places out. RRs are good for help with inspiring or planning a trip- cuz once someone says- hey this place is great- in whatever town/country/region, then maybe WE can stop there too.
Just don't ever give us your name or we'll tell em YOU sent us...

Then it'll be YOUR fault.

Cheers.
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #18
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,212
Post the names, it helps the rest of us.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #19
mka OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey guys, thank you for the replies.

The very best place to get something not too heavy to eat in lake Como is Caffe Varenna, in Varenna, right on the water. It is next door to a place Mr George
Clooney (I like his style !) has been known to frequent (Vecchia Varenna).

It's not just my opinion, when flying over from Ireland I was looking at their inflight magazine CARA, and it had a 6 page article about the lakes of northern Italy.

They said it was the best place on all 6 lakes !!

So, for devilment, I brought the magazine on my trip and it fell out on the autostrada too, but I got it back, and after eating there (and having paid) I showed them
the article !! They were thrilled and wanted to give me more food, anything !

For what it's worth, I have been in Italy at least 50 times and the Italians are the best nation of people I have met. They say the Irish are friendly (and we are) but
the Italians are so good. Always welcoming, always tolerant, and they will never let you go hungry.

I stayed a night in Albergo Grigna in Mandello del Lario. Great people too, the owner is big into hunting and does a bit of shooting (he comes to Ireland to shoot !!)
Friendly, and their restaurant is very good.

On the other side of the lake, mighty place is Villa Linda. Just south of Menaggio on the main drag round the lake, it is definitely worth stopping for.

If you had time there is a powerful Agriturismo restaurant called Barcola, it is on the road from Menaggio to Porlezza, just a mile approx. beyond Croce on the right.
You go down a narrow road but it is worth it. 4 or 5 courses plus wine coffee etc for 10 euro lunch !! excellent ! Sometimes you won't know what you are eating
this I think is part of the experience.

It is cool as you approach the restaurant there are rabbits, sheep, goats, geese, donkeys and all kinds in fields, cages and such ! As you leave with your belly full
you may notice an empty hutch or cage !!!
Old 10-13-2013, 03:05 AM   #20
Luckybastard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Love your writing style and great pictures too.
It is amazing what a little adventure can do, even if it lasts for a few days :)

If you ever come to Estonia the first cold one will be on me
Old 10-13-2013, 04:11 AM   #21
Crusier Dude
pavement inspecter

Oddometer: 304
Great report MKA

You did a AWESOME report here. I have the 650 WEE Strom and really enjoy it also. You are very Brave and Dedicated to ride the RAIN like you did. Thanks for sharing and yes I like your style and your words.

I have yet to do a story here. I can talk your ear off around a camp fire but hard to put it on paper or in this case here. Hope to see more of your Adventures in the future.

Les in Boise Idaho.
Crusier Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #22
rootsy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Thumb

I feel like I need to dry off after reading your saga! The warmth of the people and the landscape brought the feeling back into my fingers. Thank you for sharing you adventures.
rootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #23
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,716
Great report of a part of the world that is some of the best on this big planet we call home. Really enjoyed your style.

If you go to Scotland; ride to the Isle of Skye and the road to Applecross, not on the Isle Of Skye, but just north of it is awesome. All of Skye is great. Actually, most of Scotland is.

Having been to Ireland but not on a bike, you have great riding there is looked like.

Living and riding in Texas, where we have some great roads too, and not alot of rain is pretty nice also. With over 80,000 miles of road, we have alot of variety in roads. From deserts, plains, wide open spaces that go forever, piney woods, gulf coast and mountains over 9000 feet, we are truly blessed with year round riding. Check it out sometime, and if ever in TX. Beer & TX BBQ will be on me....
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:42 AM   #24
mka OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusier Dude View Post
You did a AWESOME report here. I have the 650 WEE Strom and really enjoy it also. You are very Brave and Dedicated to ride the RAIN like you did. Thanks for sharing and yes I like your style and your words.

I have yet to do a story here. I can talk your ear off around a camp fire but hard to put it on paper or in this case here. Hope to see more of your Adventures in the future.

Les in Boise Idaho.
Hey Les......................very kind of you to comment so positively on this spin.
I hope all is well in Boise..................this forum makes the world a truly tiny place................everywhere is connected..........by motorbikes................!!
pic of my old wee before i screwed it up..............it has since moved on to a better place.............and is now up and running again...............!!!

Start writing Les.....................just shoot the breeze about anything bike related................it's good for the soul too..............!!
i now just put in all sorts of BS into an ongoing thread called 'spins, trips, rants, raves, fotos, messin around and all that kinda stuff'...............which just about sums it up...............have a look it's on day trippin' and it's full of nonsense and trips and more nonsense too................!!!
get writin' man................i think thats what this is about................not a big dick ego trip of epic scale...............just to enjoy the ride............!!
best regards
Old 10-14-2013, 03:53 AM   #25
mka OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybastard View Post
Love your writing style and great pictures too.
It is amazing what a little adventure can do, even if it lasts for a few days :)

If you ever come to Estonia the first cold one will be on me
Luckybastard....................may i call you luckybastard...............??.................lb, maybe..............!!
just read your trip from Estonia to Riva del Garda...............................AMAZING....... .......!!!
really cool pics too..........................much i like this but lost to most of us mortals....................keep with it................and the VW's hahahaha excellent man.
i cant believe i was standing in same places in riva del garda on another trip................and the dolomiti tooo..................!!
check out the thread i use now which contains all my BS..................as written to Crusier Dude..............'spins, trips, rants, raves, fotos, messin around................................' on day trippin' pages............!!
Estonia......it is on my radar for sure....................i hear fantastic place..................great to have more european reports here too as there are not enough for sure..................my wife/capo and kids keep me from leaving on a major trip but oneday....it will happen........kids get bigger..............get capo into ridin more..................eventually.................
now the winter of our discontent will come and slow us all down but we dream of spring

this pic is from last week................gettin cold...............up at horn head, north donegal, ireland.................!......it's digital, sorry................!!
oh and that first one is definitely on you whenever i get over your way...................!!!
Old 10-14-2013, 03:56 AM   #26
mka OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootsy View Post
I feel like I need to dry off after reading your saga! The warmth of the people and the landscape brought the feeling back into my fingers. Thank you for sharing you adventures.
Hey rootsy.......................thanks for your kind comments........................some place that Italy.................some place indeed...........!!
I think they have it sussed big time......................jealous, but very happy to get some of it every so often.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #27
mka OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Great report of a part of the world that is some of the best on this big planet we call home. Really enjoyed your style.

If you go to Scotland; ride to the Isle of Skye and the road to Applecross, not on the Isle Of Skye, but just north of it is awesome. All of Skye is great. Actually, most of Scotland is.

Having been to Ireland but not on a bike, you have great riding there is looked like.

Living and riding in Texas, where we have some great roads too, and not alot of rain is pretty nice also. With over 80,000 miles of road, we have alot of variety in roads. From deserts, plains, wide open spaces that go forever, piney woods, gulf coast and mountains over 9000 feet, we are truly blessed with year round riding. Check it out sometime, and if ever in TX. Beer & TX BBQ will be on me....
hey FotoTEX.........................i went to bonnie scootland and loved it but missed the road to Applecross due to big feckin' caravans and motorhomes..............i just didn't have the patience or the good manners to behave and get there patiently.....................next time i hope................!!
as for home......................i suppose it is better than worse.............but far away hills are mostly green............but i must make an effort to get to more places here........study the history...............live it......................drink it in and all that.
i don't know if i ever could get to Texas...............i bet it is big big big..................and from what you say every kind of terrain to suit your mood...and most especially always middlin to good weather............................here in small tiny oireland we still see Texas as part of westerns..............open plains...............desert...............beans and cowboys................outdoors................... guns.....................pickups...........pretty girls..............steers............proms........ ......hospitality...............!!!!! a boys dreamland..................!!!!
never say never.................put the beer on ice..................!!!
Old 10-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #28
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,298
Thanks MKA for the ride report. We were just in Italy in April/May and were in both Varenna and Siena. Both great places to check out. Thanks for bringing me back there.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is online now   Reply With Quote