Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 06:48 AM   #76
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,209
The BMW bars are softer and do bend - likely designed that way with the rubber bumper between the bar and the cyl head. If you are looking for rigid protection others are more rigid; however, I am not a mechanical engineer and don't know just what stress limit at the mounting points is appropriate. Slower speed fall overs are fine for the BMW lower crash bars and the stainless is a huge plus for "renovating" after a crash. That is my experience so far; YMMV.

I hate to see folks dissing the factory bars when they all have pros and cons. The BMW bars do provide more protection to the mid-line of the cylinder heads albeit with a built in "crush" factor. Some of the other designs - with a more rigid structure may allow that mid line to be compromised due to their circumferential protection of the heads... and transfer more of the crash to other parts of the bike.
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #77
Vector Leto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding-Dong View Post
BMW bars are shit, as said slow speed spill and they bend in and allow the cylinder to be exposed to the ground.
Any chance you could post a photo taken from the front. I'd like to know how far the bar bent relative to its original position. Thanks.

Vector Leto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #78
Vector Leto
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
The BMW bars are softer and do bend - likely designed that way with the rubber bumper between the bar and the cyl head. If you are looking for rigid protection others are more rigid; however, I am not a mechanical engineer and don't know just what stress limit at the mounting points is appropriate. Slower speed fall overs are fine for the BMW lower crash bars and the stainless is a huge plus for "renovating" after a crash. That is my experience so far; YMMV.

I hate to see folks dissing the factory bars when they all have pros and cons. The BMW bars do provide more protection to the mid-line of the cylinder heads albeit with a built in "crush" factor. Some of the other designs - with a more rigid structure may allow that mid line to be compromised due to their circumferential protection of the heads... and transfer more of the crash to other parts of the bike.
I think that's a good point and something to consider.

Remind me... can you fit a cylinder protector with the BMW bars?

Edit: Found a photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
BMW:

Which protector is this?

Old 10-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #79
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Leto View Post
I think that's a good point and something to consider.

Remind me... can you fit a cylinder protector with the BMW bars?

Edit: Found a photo.

Which protector is this?
That's my bike, and those are the BMW bars
Old 10-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #80
Vector Leto
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
That's my bike, and those are the BMW bars
Right, but you also have cylinder/valve cover guards. Which brand? Thanks for the info and nice bike BTW.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #81
Ding-Dong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Any chance you could post a photo taken from the front. I'd like to know how far the bar bent relative to its original position. Thanks.
Sorry cant take any pics the bike went back to BMW, regarding frame/steering being out of tolerance and the lock to lock stop being welded in the wrong place thus resulting in a off and the damage is the result.

It bent inwards, the rubber stop was pressed against the cylinder cover and the bar had slightly bent/moved up .

Obviously BMW designed them to do this and that's probably why you can buy the bars as singles and so the impact is only sustained to the bar, where as the TT bars may allow any impact to travel to the frame !

Ding-Dong screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 11:44 AM
Ding-Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #82
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Right, but you also have cylinder/valve cover guards. Which brand? Thanks for the info and nice bike BTW.
They're the Touratech cylinder guards. I've stopped spending money on it, for now!
Old 10-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #83
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry cant take any pics the bike went back to BMW, regarding frame/steering being out of tolerance and the lock to lock stop being welded in the wrong place thus resulting in a off and the damage is the result.

It bent inwards, the rubber stop was pressed against the cylinder cover and the bar had slightly bent/moved up .

Obviously BMW designed them to do this and that's probably why you can buy the bars as singles and so the impact is only sustained to the bar, where as the TT bars may allow any impact to travel to the frame !
How are you getting on with the new bike DD?
Old 10-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #84
Ding-Dong
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
How are you getting on with the new bike DD?
I've not got one yet ! tbh within the last 2 wks there had been a few complications with BMW back pedalling there deal from what i was offered verbally. I ran out of patients at this stage and had to show that i meant business ! i was p1ssed off so called my solicitors whom acted quickly and my case was not there first ! ! and all of a sudden a change of mind, now i have a choice GSA WC or GS !

But i really need to see the GSA in the flesh being 5'7" I'm not sure if it will be to big, i like the mat blue or the white !

Ding-Dong screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 10:26 PM
Old 10-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #85
deacon51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
BMW bars are shit, as said slow speed spill and they bend in and allow the cylinder to be exposed to the ground.

Here's one i made earlier.
Really? The head didn't crack, oil didn't leak out. Isn't that what crash bars are for?
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #86
Ding-Dong
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon51 View Post
Really? The head didn't crack, oil didn't leak out. Isn't that what crash bars are for?
I thought the crash bars was to protect the cylinders ! Obviously it hasn't .
Old 10-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #87
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon51 View Post
My point exactly; I expect my crash bars to absorb the brunt of the energy and be sacrificial just as is the foam inside of my helmet. Both to be replaced after an "event"... NOT to be an extension of the frame with the same metallurgy. However, YMMV and you may want the more solid options. It will be interesting to see over time just what "impact" a crash has on the more "solid crash bar"/ frame intersections. My BMW lower CBs have done well in low and zero speed (yes, I can be a klutz at times) falls.

Hmmmm... did I miss something? It appears to me that the cylinders were fully protected. The auxiliary valve/head covers were not... and few bars are armored enough to actually protect the valve covers without additions. Channel iron might work, though ....
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #88
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,055
Quote:
I thought the crash bars was to protect the cylinders ! Obviously it hasn't .
Huh? The cylinders weren't touched. Nor were the cylinder heads. There are some minor scratches on a valve cover. So what?

When did the function of crash bars change such that they are supposed to protect against minor scratches?
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #89
FlyingNarwhal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Altrider vs. Touratech Crash Guards

I just got a new 2014 GSW and after riding 500+ miles the first week end on mountain roads, I feel comfortable enough on the bike to start looking at OHV parks and the easier dirt/jeep roads to start getting a feel of how it behaves on looser grounds.

I'm eventually planning to take the Rawhyde adventure course, but probably not for another couple of months at least.

But first things first. Protection mods.

I'm eventually planning to get the following:

New sturdier handguards
Radiator Guard
Headlight Guard
Cylinder head guard

Lower, wider and grippier Foot pegs

Engine Guard
Skid plate

I've been looking towards Touratech for most of it (except the footpegs that will probably be fastway or blackdog).

First on my list, the Engine guard. It seems like the most fundamental one before messing around in the dirt. And I'm not quite sure between Touratech's system and Alt rider's. Aesthetically, AR look like they stick out more.

Anyone has experience with either or both systems on the GSWs ? As a side question, they make the installation look super simple, but would I be safer having them installed by professionals ?
Old 10-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #90
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,838
First off, if you can pick up a wrench then install them yourself, they are easy as pie.

Second off, if you can stand the looks of the AltRider crash bars get them.

I went with the BMW engine crash bars and will be installing the Touratech tank guards next, I prefer the stainless steel and the looks myself.