Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #91
notacop01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
If you plan on getting crash bars AND a skid plate the Altrider system is really nice. The skid plate mounts to the same bracket as the crash bars. The Touratech skid plate uses the factory mounts which are attached directly to the bottom of the engine.

I have the black Touratech crash bars (which are VERY easy to install) but I might switch to the Altrider bars so I can also use their skid plate. *(Altrider skid plate won't work with TT crash bars).
Old 10-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #92
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
another + for the benefits of stainless steel ... touratech and/or BMW lowers with TT uppers.
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #93
DownunderBrian
B2

Oddometer: 75
I have the Altrider bars, upper and lower and will just say two things..

firstly, despite what some say, I can tell you it is 100% possible to remove the valve covers and service the valves without removing the bars. Did it myself, so can guarantee that.

second, they can withstand a deer impact without damage
DownunderBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:44 AM   #94
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownunderBrian View Post
I have the Altrider bars, upper and lower and will just say two things..

firstly, despite what some say, I can tell you it is 100% possible to remove the valve covers and service the valves without removing the bars. Did it myself, so can guarantee that.

second, they can withstand a deer impact without damage
On a 2013-4 GS Wethead?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #95
FlyingNarwhal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
First off, if you can pick up a wrench then install them yourself, they are easy as pie.
Great thanks. I'll buy tools and mount them myself then. A reusable set of tools will be way cheaper than service every time I need new parts installed ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop01 View Post
If you plan on getting crash bars AND a skid plate the Altrider system is really nice. The skid plate mounts to the same bracket as the crash bars. The Touratech skid plate uses the factory mounts which are attached directly to the bottom of the engine.
I knew there was something technical I was forgetting ! I had a discussion with Shawn at Rawhyde over the phone on recommendations for mods and couldn't remember why my notes had Alt Rider on top of the list. They're cheaper too as you can order both in one kit...

@DownunderBrian any chance you could post a picture of your bike ? It annoys me a bit that aesthetics are what make me hesitate on a safety feature but there it is
Old 10-31-2013, 08:57 AM   #96
notacop01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
On the topic of aesthetics, I haven't seen any pictures of the black Altrider bars yet. However I can tell you that my black TT bars blend in with the bike very nicely.

The grey painted Altriders seem to stand out which makes them look huge. (The tubes are also considerably bigger in diameter to the TT)
Old 10-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #97
DownunderBrian
B2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
On a 2013-4 GS Wethead?

Jim
Oops... No.. Not GS wet. My bad, didnt read the OP carefully..
DownunderBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #98
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownunderBrian View Post
Oops... No.. Not GS wet. My bad, didnt read the OP carefully..

Jim
Old 10-31-2013, 04:02 PM   #99
FlyingNarwhal
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop01 View Post
On the topic of aesthetics, I haven't seen any pictures of the black Altrider bars yet. However I can tell you that my black TT bars blend in with the bike very nicely.

The grey painted Altriders seem to stand out which makes them look huge. (The tubes are also considerably bigger in diameter to the TT)
Yeah, that's my impression as well. I'm leaning toward black TT crash bars with their expedition skidplate that hides the bolts with polyamid nylon sliders.

On the other hand, the AR mounting on the crash bars means any shock goes to the frame rather than the engine. I'm just too ignorant of mechanics to make up my mind on whether it's a gimmick or really important.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #100
BMW JEEP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Highly recommend renting a bike for Rawhyde

This is somewhat off the topic of which bars to get, but you also mentioned a goal of taking the Rawhyde course. Been there and done that, twice. I could be wrong, but it sounds like you're gearing up to use your own bike for the training.
I recommend against that. While it would be nice to learn those skills on the bike you will be riding in similar conditions in the future, most students drop their bike multiple times during the training.
I tried to use my own 1150 for Rawhyde since they only rent the 1200, and I also thought I'd gear up my 1150 well enough to survive the training on my own bike.
Safe to say that everybody goes into Rawhyde with differing learning curves and the number of get-offs very greatly. But the chances of dumping your nice new well-protected bike are great.
My bike and I had many dumps and I literally beat my bike up pretty bad. And, I truly believe that I tried to ride and learn with too much concern for my bike, and that held me back from just relaxing and concentrating on new maneuvers.

So, with the many variables and the expense of trying to buy the protective accessories, you will probably be glad if you choose to rent.
I know this because I experienced a hard high side on my 1150 and couldn't finish training (had to go get an X-Ray half way through the second day of training). So, I went back, rented a bike and finished the course on a 1200, no problem.
I know it adds considerably to rent on top of the $1400 course cost, but the chances of beating up your new bike and accessories during a very intense and compressed course could end up being cheaper to rent.
Sorry to be so long winded, but wanted to explain my recommendations based on experience.
Good luck,
Curt

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.” ― John Lennon
BMW JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #101
FlyingNarwhal
Adventurer

That's a very interesting point.
And i've had people go both ways when telling me about their experience at RawHyde.

I honestly don't know for sure what to do yet. By my usual temperament I think I'd be more nervous on a bike that's not mine. I accept the fact that I'm going to scratch and bang mine eventually, but would feel terrible doing so to someone else's bike...

In the end what will decide it will probably be whether or not I find people to do it with. I don't feel like riding from SF to LA on my own so if I can convince people, I'll probably ride the pacific coast down and use my own bike, if I don't, I'll drive down the more direct route and rent a bike there.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #102
ironklad
Adventurer

This is a picture of Touratech lower and upper crash guards and they appear to do a great job protecting the bike from critical damage, however from what I saw you will very likely get scratches and gouges on the bike in a class such as the BMW off road class. I can't speak for Rawhyde (yet), this is a pic from this past weekend's off road training at BMW's Performance Center in Greer S.C.. Throughout the weekend among three of us there were plenty of get offs and a good bit of personality added to the bikes. The only real damage I recall was a clutch lever end snapping off but there were a fair number of scratches and gouges added to crash bars, valve covers, rear racks, etc... I was glad I opted to rent a bike, had I used my own bike I would not have challenged myself as much and would have opted out of the more intimidating obstacles.

If you opt to ride your own bike make sure to ask yourself if and how your training may be impacted by your fear of breaking/scratching your bike. And do not feel bad about their bikes taking a tumble and getting scratched up, that is what they are there for.

ironklad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #103
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironklad View Post
This is a picture of Touratech lower and upper crash guards and they appear to do a great job protecting the bike from critical damage, however from what I saw you will very likely get scratches and gouges on the bike in a class such as the BMW off road class. I can't speak for Rawhyde (yet), this is a pic from this past weekend's off road training at BMW's Performance Center in Greer S.C.. Throughout the weekend among three of us there were plenty of get offs and a good bit of personality added to the bikes. The only real damage I recall was a clutch lever end snapping off but there were a fair number of scratches and gouges added to crash bars, valve covers, rear racks, etc... I was glad I opted to rent a bike, had I used my own bike I would not have challenged myself as much and would have opted out of the more intimidating obstacles.

If you opt to ride your own bike make sure to ask yourself if and how your training may be impacted by your fear of breaking/scratching your bike. And do not feel bad about their bikes taking a tumble and getting scratched up, that is what they are there for.

Can you imagine what this would look like had you taken it?

Hope you had fun!

Jim
Old 11-09-2013, 03:17 AM   #104
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,883
I just came across this video on the AltRider FB page:

Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #105