Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 04:22 AM   #61
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey1212 View Post
From there to Tok where I stayed at the Surdough Campground. The owner is "barking" and holds a "sourdough" pancake throwing contest each night, You get two goes and have to get a real, small pancake into a "Buckit".]
We are planning an Alaskan trip in July. I think this campground goes on the list.
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #62
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Miles today 53 Total 5831
Went to Adventure Cycleworks, run by Dan & Shawn Armstrong who operate from their home outside of town. Had a new tyre fitted (K60 but a 140 this time without the centre strip) and replaced the brake pads at the same time. Old tyre had tread on it but was very square due to the long straight roads. Very efficient, a 24/7 operation and a reasonable rate. would recommend.
After a bite to eat went to every kids dream place.......The North Pole. Honest ! It is about 15 miles south of here and has the world biggest Santa Clause made from whatever it was. Look at the pics.....the street names are all named after the Christmas theme and the lamposts are like candy sticks. Even had the reindeer.
On way back to campsite popped into supermarket for beers and when I came out saw a well travelled BMW GS1000 beside mine, While waiting for the owner to come out was approached by Nathan who wanted to know about the Triumph as he is considering getting one. Long chat with avery nice guy.
Advice Nathan..........................GET A TRIUMPH !!
When the BMW owner came out we had a quick chat for about 1.5 hours about all sorts of bike stull. Yet annother great guy. He is from Idaho and his girlfriend is joining him later in the week. Between last year and this he has has travelled some 49 states, I think !!
Thats it. Another good day and great people to boot.
Tomorrow the Dalton to the Arctic Circle.........I hope !

More oics on link below.
davey1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #63
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey1212 View Post
More oics on link below.
Followed the oics and found this. Pretty awesome effort so far

Old 06-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #64
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 837
Yes Grumpy, there is a Santa Claus!
DRRambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #65
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,157
Nice report.
Thanks for taking the time to post.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #66
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Miles today 365 Total 6196
What an adventure that was !!
On the road at 06-30 and having breakfast shortly afterwards. Needed to get a good meal in as I didn't know when the next would be. Superb omlette but I was not hungry so had to force it down.
Arrived at the start of the DH and about to take a pic when another motorcyclist pulled up. For me, it was a VERY welcome sight, as it was Dan, the biker I talked for ages to in the car park yesterday. Although. the previous day he had decided he was not going to ride the DH he had decided he would. Good on ya !!
The first couple of miles were slippery but had traction; then we came to the roadworks. Had to wait about 20 mins for the pilot car, let all the cars and trucks go first them we went. Dug up road, deep tracks & mud and slippery. Front & rear wheels all over the place for about a mile and a half. Very tense for me.
The the surface became reasonable for quite a while and we could get up to 35 mph......at times. The surface changed often an Dan's skills/tyres/confidence were all better than mine and his bike (the GS10) did not appear to e sipping as much and he had less tread on his tyres.
The road got muddier and, as they spray the surface with a chemical (cant remember which) to keep the dust down & there was NO chance of dust today) it makes the gravel and dirt very slippery/muddy when it rained. At one section about 40 miles in I could feel the rear fishtailing and knew what was coming !. I came off at approx 25 mph on the left side. No injuries...that I could feel, and when I stood up dan had returned and 3 or 4 trucks had stopped behind me. Dan had watched the first truck, a tanker stopping and his wheels had skidded quite a way and only just made it ! Glad I didn't see that.
Straightened the left pannier (Different shape now, Gabriel), fitted it back on and off we went before I chickened out.
At mile 53 there is a service aarea at the Yukon River crossing so we refulled and carried of. Again the surface changed from seriously horrible to a bit of tarmac, great.
After 113 miles we reached THE ARCTIC CIRCLE !!!! Made It. Took pics, took pics for others and one guy just happened to live in same place as Dan and knew the same people ! At the Arctic Circle !!!!!!!!!!!!!
It had been raining for a while and that continued all the way back which made the surface worse. All the way, Dan was more sure footed and had to wait for me as I was even more cautious now. Had a meal at the services and talked to guys who were trying on Gold Wings.....Jeeze ! If I thought it was tough ??????? Three people on BMW GS's decided to turn back at that point as they had had enough.
Crossed the VERY slippery wooden surfaced bridge and crawled back to the start.
226 miles on that highway and most of it in very slippery conditions. 71 miles, or so to get back to the tent so home by 22.15 after riding since 06-30 that morning .
No doubt about it, the most difficult and demanding motorcycling day I have every had and, on that day, I could not have had a better partner. Many thanks, Dan.
Moved into a dorm room at the University of Alaska as it is cheap and more comfortable than a tent and as Dan is here makes it easier to celebrate our triumph with a few beers.
Went back to the other Dan at Adventure Cycleworks to get my pannier & crash bar straightened.
Out tonight and....................... tomorrow ????????????????

Not a good sign !

Finger Mountain.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:51 AM   #67
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Please note. No "oics" this time, only pics !

DRambler. Groucho Marx said "There is no sanity clause" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #68
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Quote:
No injuries...that I could feel, and when I stood up dan had returned and 3 or 4 trucks had stopped behind me. Dan had watched the first truck, a tanker stopping and his wheels had skidded quite a way and only just made it ! Glad I didn't see that.

Wow.... You must have rolled nicely. Nice to get up and jump back on in one piece and not squished
Old 06-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #69
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 837
Congratulations!
Now you can handle any road conditions.
DRRambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #70
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Didn't roll but fell on left side (see the mud up that side) and ended up on my back after cracking the back of my head. Nothing hurt though....apart from my pride !!

Handle any road conditions ???????? We will have to see as I am not the most confident off road DESPITE the recent practice !!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #71
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Chill out !

Quiet day !!
Went out for breakfast then popped into a couple of bike shops as Dan wanted forward cruiser footrests so he could rest and go to sleep while he is riding. Good friendly, helpful place at Thunder Road m/cycles where they had exactly the mesh jacket (for hot countries) I wanted at half price......Great ! Only one left....in Dan's size ! Beginning to dislike him now ! I did get a better waterproof over jacket though at 30% off.

Met a biker there who was bashing his old panniers into shape and prepping his BMW 650 for the Dalton Highway. We were able to pass on out expertise......but he is still going. I also gave him my old waterproof jacket as he looked as if he could do with it.

Back to the University for me to book another night as I really need to organise my stuff and re-pack carefully at it all seemed to be growing and getting bulkier. It's also raining.

After that, maybe a few beers them tomorrow head south again as I cannot be late for Jayne !!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #72
ChuckS
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 637
Just found your report- thanks for taking me along for the ride.

We most likely passed each other around Lake Placid. A few days of fun weather!

1993 K1100LT w/Ural hack
DL650 K4
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #73
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Hey, I'm a grumpy old bastard myself. If you come down thru Bend, Oregon I'll put your ass up for a night or two and even provide free beer. I like to listen to you people from over there talk anyway! You should come thru this way as there is some spectacular riding to be had here. My landscaper mows weekly! Enjoying the report.

hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #74
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer: 348
Davey,
If you make it to Southern California where the weather is warm and rain but a distant memory, send me a PM and you will have a bed for a night or two. You'll have to put up with this Paddy and his beer drinking, but if you are lucky I might scrounge up a few pints of cider! West Country folk are always welcome here.

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Blind Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #75
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Blind Warrior & HanksMyBuddy .............Thanks for the offers guys and if possible I will take those up. Sounds good fun so will pm close to the time.
Appreciate it.