Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #76
Toiretto
Getting into it!

Oddometer: 50
Great RR! Thank you for sharing. Keep posting please.
Toiretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #77
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Miles today 155 (Yesterday & today) Total 6351

Yet another lazy day but back on road tomorrow. Just went for 120 ish mile ride but scenery not enough to shout about. Did see a Moose & her calf but pic not that great as they were hiding.

Fixed the connection on my heated jacket (damaged in my fall on the DH) as you never know when you need it.

Early night tonight then tomorrow ???..............South somewhere !

Dan's shiny new cruiser footpegs on his old BMW.
davey1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #78
manshoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey1212 View Post
Miles today 155 (Yesterday & today) Total 6351

Yet another lazy day but back on road tomorrow. Just went for 120 ish mile ride but scenery not enough to shout about. Did see a Moose & her calf but pic not that great as they were hiding.

Fixed the connection on my heated jacket (damaged in my fall on the DH) as you never know when you need it.
Davey1212, if you decide to come back into the United States from Vancouver BC, into Washington State, there are a few routes and roads, scenic spots that should not be missed.

I could meet you at the boarder crossing for breakfast or lunch and take you on a little back roads tour from there, depending on you plans ?

Highway 20 going East is a must see route that takes you by Diablo Dam, on the way to Washington Pass, they call it the Swiss Alps of America, because of the scenery. Depending on your schedule, if you had a couple days to see a part of Northern Washington State, I could plan a little route for you and lead the way on your way South ?

Shoot me a PM
Old 06-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #79
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Miles today 222 Total 6573

Up early(ish) and had quick breakfast with Dan in Uni. Said goodbye to my new friend and am sure our paths will cross again. Especially if he comes to the UK with his better half. (Ace Cafe, remember !).
Thanks for your support, Dan, and if anyone requires any obscure (useful) item, he will have it.

Headed south and overall just a nice drive on a clear, warm road with little traffic. You will see from the pics that there were incredibly dark clouds to the west with heavy rain falling and quite dark clouds to the east with heavy rain also falling in places. Straight ahead was dry....for the time being !

Passed about 5 bikes going the other way but didn't get a chance to talk to anyone until I arrived at the campsite. As I approached, the sky darkened and as soon as I parked at the pitch the heavens opened. Only lasted half an hour so tent now up and waiting for my Reindeer Chilli and the pancake throwing contest to see if I can win a breakfast......and I 'aint swapping this time !

Realised I have lost my running shoes so only have my bike boots. They were a bit bulky so will have to get some more compact ones.

Overtook a car yesterday with the licence plate "BOLLIX".......I wonder if the lady driver realised ?

Heading for Whitehorse again tomorrow and that should be a long day if weather holds up.

It is Jayne's birthday today (Sunday) so, Happy Birthday Darling !! All together now.............

River level is lower than last week despite the snow melt.

Cloud & rain to the west.

And to the East.

But not straight ahead YET !!!

But rain at the campground !!!

Mr Manshoon. Thanks for the offer and it sounds great. Will let you know when I am headed out of Canada in early July. That ok ??
Old 06-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #80
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Miles today 203 Total 6776
Well, despite my experience last week I failed to get a pancake in the "buckit" this week so no freeby or breakfast.
Spent a couple of hours round the camp fire burning marshmallows & talking to all sorts of people from Fire Chiefs to Teachers and one guy who is just seeing America. Good night !
After breakfast, and more talking, plus a Skype call to say Happy Birthday to Jayne, was on the road by 10-30. Weather beautiful and roads good all the way to the border. At one service area in the mountains the State Troopers were giving a "mature" couple a hard time for, as the counter lady told me, steaking gas !!!!!! Not sure how but glad it wasn't me.
Scenery was beautiful all along the Alaskan Highway and the surface was generally good until.......sorry any Canadians reading this.........I crossed the border then the surface worsened with "frost heaves" where the tamac has ripples and dips making the bike, and the cars in front, slew everywhere. Uncomfortable at thimes. There were also two long stretches of roadworks with gravel stretches.
I stopped for a coffee & dry cinnamon bun (make that incredibly dry......."Do you think they would be better with icing on them " she asked, and got talking to a couple riding BMW GS, he on a 650 twin and she on a new 700 twin, who were riding up to the Dalton Highway and planning on being at the Arctic Circle at midnight on the longest day. Good luck !
I lost an hour crossing the border and it was now 18-30 and when I stopped for Gas noticed a campsite here, next to a beautiful lake in the middle of nowhere, Burwash. $10 for camping & $5 for a shower. Zillions of mozzies and, two guys outside daid the saw a grizzly with 3 cubs walk past a couple of hours previously...great !
Burger and a couple of beers in the bar and I am ready for an early night !!!!!!!

Look at those clouds !!

My hotel for this night !
Old 06-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #81
manshoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey1212 View Post
Mr Manshoon. Thanks for the offer and it sounds great. Will let you know when I am headed out of Canada in early July. That ok ??
I thought you might be heading South sooner, but we can see where it all pans out come the first part July. Be safe and enjoy the Ride.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #82
BRUTSQD
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 266
Well done

Subscribed! Great RR, glad you have joined the technology age in picture posting and nice bike!! I'll be following you, if you come near Denver I'll be chirping at you.
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #83
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Miles today 182 Total 6958
Must have been the coldest night so far as, when up at 06-00, there was a very small amount of frost on the tent. No shower this morning as that would have been an extra $5 so smelly Grumpy packed his wet tent away and was on the road at 06-45.
The sun was up and the scenery was stunning on the mountains, No wildlife even at this hour but the roads were dry and traffic free. To be honest, as far as this blog is concerned, it was a straightforward day with nothing of note to report. Went to Wal-Mart to get an expensive, but comfortable, $6 pair of flip flops and a fairly healthy tea with fresh veg & fruit. Plus, a massive bucket of yoghurt so not sure what I will do with that !!
Met a guy who is travelling the road I have just finished and he is riding a full Gold Wing & trailer so told him he will have a bumpy ride up there !!
Took pics of the Klondike, the largest paddle steamer to travel this river which has been restored to original condition.
I forgot to report yesterday that the Canadian Border Guard said he loved the English accent and thought I sounded "sofisticated and James Bond-ish" !!!! That is the 3rd person so it must be true !!
Off to Watson Lake tomorrow the the Cassier Highway south to............Sharon & Ciy's where the wine cellar is full and the beer is in the fridge !! Put the bed in the cellar please !!

Nearly fell for it !!

As usual there are more pics on the blog below. Internet very slow here.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #84
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Miles today 271 Total 7229
On the road at 10-00 after being approached by a German who was considering a Triumph over a BMW GS1200. After a lengthy discussion he will be testing the Triumph at least. Didn't do things to the bike last night as other campers (in their house sized RVs) wanted to chat.
Stunning scenery and when the road was good, it was good, but miles of roadworks where the dig the surface up and lay tar and tons on gravel. Many were ok but some still had plenty of loose gravel and some had been sprayed by the same chemical they use in the Dalton Highway to keep the dust down. There were time when I knew there were roadworks ahead as I could see the dust raised by trucks, before I saw the signs. One set was 9km long and we had to follow the pilot car for about 3 of those. I am very slow on gravel. There was also a long bridge with the mesh floor which, with the new tyres was very interesting. I have been told there will be three or four of these on the Cassier Highway tomorrow. Yippee!
Saw a Caribou which just stared at me, ate, stared, ate etc while I took pics.
Saw 30 to 40 bikes heading north but none going the way I was, south. All up to the Dusk to Dawson or the Arctic Circle for the 21st June.
Am now in a RV park, as you can see from the pic, in Watson Lake where my neighbours all said goodnight at 19-30 !!!
Down the Cassier tomorrow and may have to camp on state campgrounds with no showers, internet and plenty bears !!!!!!!!!
Phil, you need to pass your bike test now so you have got time to buy the correct one and kit it out for our trip to China next year !!!!!

Who WOULDN'T want to ride these roads ?????????????

As usual, more pics on link below.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #85
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Great pics, great ride report here and on your blog.

Thank you Mr. 007. Rule Britannia!
R-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #86
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
i was late finding this RR. I've read it all now non-stop, like a good book I couldn't put it down. good stuff!!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #87
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Miles today 330 Total 7559
No internet at time of writing and sitting it a tent at 20-05 due to unbelievable number of mossies.
Set off at 9ish and after a breakfast straight on the Cassier. Stunning scenery, bendy roads, some dodgy surfaces but great overall. Plenty of lakes which were beautiful with the snow capped mountains in the distance. Some road works but nothing major and, when slowing down for one, I realised I was only 8 feet from a black bear !!!! Couldn't take a pick as had to go through the work zone. In total I saw 4 bears, one with a cub.
There is a pic of the water in the lake which was crystal clear...this is called Mud Lake for some reason.
Stopped at small place for gas but as I was getting off the bike a guy drove up and said it was closed...again. They just pick and choose when to serve customers. I was just about ok for gas and aked him where he was going but he said that he had a gold claim and came up for three months at a time to work it. After checking how much cash I had he wasn't interested in a deal !
About 14-00 dark clouds appeared over the mountains then they opened and I had rain for most of the afternoon. As I was at 1200m above sea level the temperature also dropped and the wind picked up. The road surface, due to the ice an construction, has ridges which plays havoc with the tread on the back tyre & feels like like it is slipping away. This is amplified in the wet. Some of the bridges were the wooden floored ones which are like ice in the wet.
At the next gas station I met a young guy, riding an older 650 Kawasaki 4, who is heading for Fairbanks, them after a stay at his parents is off to Argentina on the bike, taking 2 years ! His local paper is paying him to write regular articles.
Roadworks at a bridge took almost an hour waiting and, as we parked sloping down, nearly dropped the bike and had to get the "Lollypop" girl to hold it while I got back on.
The rain recently stopped and a now at Meziadin Lake campground being eaten alive by mossies. Beautiful spot though, right on the lake.
While I was "locked up" in the tent writing this and heard rain. After 20 mins remembered the sleeping bag was still on the table. Rushed out but the pitter patter rain noise was the mossies hitting the tent & looking for a way it. I hate 'em !!
Only 800 miles from Vernon so could be there by the weekend for that beer 'n' wine !!!

Result of forest fire !

As usual more pis on link below.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #88
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Miles today 280 Total 7739

Didn't sleep that well and kept waking up for some reason. Eventually woke at 07-30 but crept out the bag at 08-00. Once out the tent, it was the quickest "pack up" ever due to the mossies. I hate 'em !
On the raod by approx 08-40 and it was a beautiful, warm day. The road surface had improved and I made good progress until I came to the town of Kitwanga where I decided to have breakfast. There was a Ducati Mutistrada outside with Idaho plates & luggage so I guessed I had someone to talk to. Were they from Idaho? Oh, no ! New Zealand !!!!!!
Phillip & Diane purchased the bike last year and after a 6 week trip stored it in Los Angeles and picked it up this year and have been in some of the areas I have. Lovely couple who have travelled many, many places and suggested, when I finish my trip, I could ship it to NZ and carry on touring next year............Jane, we need to have a chat !!
After taking their address and email address they left first a minute prior to me. Not sure if they saw the police car, but he saw me !!!!
During the discussion in the cafe I realised today was Thursday and it was the 13th..mmmm!
A minute or so after joining the Cassier I heard a noise behind me and in the mirror the was a car with blue & red flashing lights which, I thought, wanted to get past. Silly me ! He was a really nice guy doing his job and told me that I should have totally stopped at the stop sign and not just "almost" stopped and put my foot down. He was right and it is the law. He said that he would not give me a ticket ( Oh, thank you !!) but be aware. Had a chat and he is a biker and is restoring a Yamaha XS750 ( I had two of those officer) into a "Cafe Racer"...or as they pronounce it here, Kfay Racer !
After my best buddy & I parted, I carried on enjoying the day but the photo opportunities were few & far between.
Afternoon saw the clouds really build up with heavy rain falling from many of them. Looks like I missed most of it as the roads were wet but I only had light rain.
Travelling at a max of 60 mph I let everything overtake me. I let a Harley go past going down a hill then saw a dark shape on the left side of the road and realised it was a deer walking right in front of me. I braked hard on a wet road and he (she) stopped just to the left of me. Missed by some 10 feet !! He stared at me and (because I sound like James Bond turned around and ran back.
After 5 weeks, I am getting a little tired so I thought that it was time to finish for the day. Am at a campsite just outside of Fraser Lake and am goint to have a beer !!
IF all goes ok, I should be in Vernon by Saturday !!!!!!!!

Beautiful !!!

Last nights mosie campsite.

Phillip & Diane.

As usual, more pics on the link below.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #89
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank You !!

R-W. & Kitesurfer plus others who have written, I thank you for your comments and am just glad you are enjoying this half as much as I am. I just hope I can keep it up but, at my age, writing this down helps me remember it all otherwise..........???

Thanks

davey1212 screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 10:34 PM
Old 06-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #90
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 837
Cassiar

Glad you got to ride the Cassiar...didn't I tell you you'd see bears

Keep up the great report
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote