Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #91
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
i'm really waiting for you to hit mexico!
Old 06-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #92
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Miles today 456 Total 8297
It had rained last night for about 6 hours but was dry & warm when I packed the bike. The forecast was 50% chance of rain in the Prince George area (and we know what THAT means) and warm & dry in Vernon, my destination. This made me decide to ride the whole way and get away from the rain.........and beer was calling !
First 30 mins were ok but then it rained heavily. Upon filling up with gas in Prince Albert, I was told that my credit card had been cancelled........Oh....Sugar !! Paid with cash, checked I had enough for the day and set off again.
Turned south towards the sun (ha ha !) soon afterwards and ran into roadworks. Major roadworks. Sat there on a red light for approx 20 mins then had to follow a pilot vehicle over road that had severe groves in it. Not as bad as mud, or the mesh on bridges but interesting.
Had rain for most of the next 300 miles and the road surface, due to frost and tyre tracks made the wheels feel as if they were moving sideways on occasions. Sun came out, road dried, took off waterproofs, rain started etc.
This is about the 4th time I have ridden in mountains with a large lump of metal between my legs when lightening is all around me...scary !
Filled up again and asked lady to see if my card worked and it did (phew !) but the gas pumps didn't like it so paid inside.
After the 300 miles the sun did come out, roads were dry and the ride was fantastic. The roads were still uneven in places but, in the dry it feels better. I didn't take any pics for the first part of the day despite the scenery but once the sun was out the camera joined it. Couldn't take pics in some places as it was not possible so you will just have to take my word for the fact that it was stunning.
I was making good progress and 97 miles away from my destination I phoned Sharon & Ciy, to say I WOULD be there in approx two hours...They would be waiting for me with a beer !!!
Again the last miles of the ride were a delight, and if anyone ever tells me the roads in Canada & the US are boring and straight I will know they have not seen them.
Passed through a town called Falkland which looks a good place for a night, big biker place and pubs so just may go there next week.
Arrived at S &Cs house at 20-15 and treated the Grumpmobile to a nice spot in a garage. Made very welcome by my hosts, with beers and Nachos and slept like a baby WITHOUT the bear spray !!!!!!
Spectacular view from their balcony (sorry, deck !), popped into town to have a look at a "fate" and lunch n beer at the yacht club then chilling out writing this before a few people arrive for a drink tonight.
Life is hell !!
Am here for 3 weeks so will keep the posts going but only when there is something to write about so it will not be daily. Off for a tipple !!

Someones little house !!

Long train in the distance.

And MORE rain clouds !

Even worse rain !

Ciy & Bob off on patrol duty.

View of Vernon from my hosts house.

As usual more pics on link below.
davey1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #93
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
3 weeks in Paradise??? Yacht club, hot showers, great sleep?

What... bet you miss the tent and bear spray in 3-4 days tops!

R-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #94
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Back on the Road Again !!!!

After 4 weeks of rest and laziness, spending two of those with Jayne it was time to move on. I said all my goodbyes and rode to Horseshoe Bay to catch the ferry to Vancouver Island. Beautiful place and great roads until you get into Victoria City...it is busy !
On the road to Tofino you pass forests and lakes galore...even a tropical forest.
Tofino is a peninsular so the sea is on both sides. Spent the night in Mackenzie's campground which is expensive ($40) and noisy with quite a number of teenagers (ok, I was one once) but the language was un-family like.

Met Chris & Christine who are rits living in Vanacouver.

This movie has just been released !

Tofino
TofinoCampsite Beach

As usual there if more info and pics on the blog below.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #95
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 233
Welcome to the wild west

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey1212 View Post
4th May 2013
Hi all. After reading everyone else's travels here and on Horizons sites I am now just about to start my own.
In yeah?
Old 07-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #96
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Victoria

Miles to Victoria 258 Total 9302
Left the campsite after a walk on the beach again (did that last night also) then set off for Victoria. Weather was great, roads were great and the internet at the McDonalds was also great hence the previous pics.
Stopped at a forest known for its massive old trees but cannot remember the name of it here. It is on the pic. Lady offered to take a photo for me and guess what..........she originated from England !!
When I arrived in Victoria, I rode around and, while looking for a place to park near the parliament building, noticed a Yamaha 1200 Tenere with UK plates. I parked beside it and waited for the owners to arrive. After eating a pound of Strawberries and read a few pages of my book Ray & Karen turned up. They have also been travelling around Canada & the US and our paths must have crossed a few times just a few days after or before....if that makes sense ! They are also travelling to South America but quite a while after me.
We kept getting interrupted by a wino who was trying to pay the pan pipes for money and asked if we were Scandinavian. I told him we were Russian and, man, was he impressed. Unfortunately, it only encouraged him. Canadians dont talk to him, apparently.
Ray & Karen advised me of a campsite just outside of town which is quiet ....apart from a racetrack next door. Internet is good here though.
When I arrived I asked if they sold chocolate, they didn't but a French guy who just arrived said I could have one of his. Great guy, travelling around Canada with his girlfriend and he REALLY wants to do a big bike trip. Go for it, Sofiane !!!!

A genuine advert !

Ray & Karen.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:37 AM   #97
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey1212 View Post

Ray & Karen.
Nice to get your reports again. You've obviously mastered the art of staying in one place for a while. Nice to settle in no matter which country you're in and really start to get the rhythm of local life.

Ray and Karen. Impressed with the load distribution and giving the passenger a sort of Gold Wing seating arrangement made of luggage. At least it looks that way from pic.

Well, we set off in 8-10 days or so. Picking up second KTM 990 today for the Australians we are importing. Sitting on the edge of a Wisconsin lake right now. Nice part of the bike pick up and I get to ride home visiting friends along the way. We won't mention the $150 dollar taxi fare I got landed with last night after missing a train (3 hour wait in Chicago) Better than sleeping in the Sturtevant WI train station with a hotel already paid for. Cleaner was suggesting might be my only option. He even cleaned the bench seat ready!

Trail bandit screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 06:42 AM
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #98
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Expensive !!!

Mr Trail Bandit,

Sounds like you are having an adventure before your adventure !!

You are obviously counting down the minutes .......!!

Good luck

Dave
Old 07-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #99
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Miles today 242 Total 9544
Knew where the keys were this morning so up at 06-00, packed up and fought my way through Victoria's rush hour to the Black Ball Ferry Terminal. There were quite a few bikes there already, many of them BMWs heading for a BMW bash in Salem, Oregon. Had a good chinwag with most of them (one was a 77 year old Swede !) then went through a fairly painless US customs process.
The crossing was a pleasure, calm and very scenic on both sides of the sea.
Once in the US it was straight on the 101, Pacific Coast Highway. Rode through forest areas for 80 miles first in warm, cloudy weather and passing a large lake. Turned chillier when the road ran along the coast but it was beautiful. Back inland for a while and it threatened to rain but there was only a couple of drops.
Had a cheap bit to eat in Aberdeen then took the 105 towards Westport to find a campsite. Turned colder again as I approached the fishing port and found a cheap RV & campsite which is owned by a Norwegian couple. It is cool and the windiest place I have had to put the tent up on this trip.
Once tent was up rode down to the port itself, took a couple of pics and will pop down there again tomorrow morning for breakfast. Just back and typing this in the tent with the aid of a headtorch !!!!!!

Hello USA !

New friends.

Serious driftwood.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #100
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Miles Today 192 Total 9753

Not a good sleep last night even though it was a very quiet site. Up early and tried to Skype Jayne but without luck. Hit the road but it was cloudy and cold.....yup, cold !
Just outside of Raymond ( I think) I popped into a McDonalds for breakfast and for their Wi-Fi. Jayne STILL wasn't available.......women !! A lady biker arrived, on a bike that Madam would love, and was planning on riding the coast road but due to the weather was going to go inland instead. She said she would ride with me to at the Washington/Oregon border then head inland. She was a good rider.......and her husband has given up bikes for Jeeps ?? Poor bloke !

We stopped to say good bye and take pics of the bridge and Jack & his son turned up on Kawasaki 250 & Yamaha 200 off road bikes. They had trailered the bikes to the top of Washington State and were riding the home to San Diego. Well done, them.
We all then split up and I headed south over the bridge and the pics will show the scenery. It was still cloudy and cold until I arrived in Newport and I am now just south of there at a small campsite by thr sea & next to a pub !!! What more can a guy ask for ?????

As usual more pics on link below.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #101
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Welcome back! Glad to have you posting again.

VEry much enjoying your ride report and blog.

Cheers!
R-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #102
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Miles Today 220 Total 9973

Up at a reasonable time and, as the tent was wet from dew, let it dry in the sun while I had breakfast (nice coffee and heated up breakfast burrito !!) from the sites office and sat on the sea wall to eat it. Also Skyped Jayne from there ad the sun warmed up.
Packed up and before I left a guy at the site wanted to talk bikes (good) but then said he need ed to get riding again before he reached my age.......he was 64 (NOT good !)
Rode a little along the coast then headed inland. A fellow bike from ADVRider, who lives in Bend, had offered to put me up for the night and he had given me details of a scenic route. The instruction included Highway 242 with the threat that I would not be allowed to stay if I (did not ride the 242 !!
The foist part was the 34 from Weldport and that was stunning as it followed a river and had numerous twists and bends with a great surface....a great biking road. Popped into Corvallis to fill up....and the bike wouldn't start properly. It would fire up the die and not idle. It was a very hot day at that point so I waited a while for the engine to cool a bit then it started as normal. It is going to be very hot from now on so will have to keep an eye on that.
After a few busy miles I joined the 242 and WOW ! What a road.. Great surface and has more twists, bends, hairpin bends than any road I have been on and it is only 40 miles long. It went through dense forest and climbed & climbed to 1540m and at the top it was covered with volcanic rock with the occasional tree growing through it. Beautiful. There is an observatory at the top build out of that volcanic rock. The ride down was the same for a few miles then straightened out and ending up in Sisters. From there it was 15 miles to Parks house.
He was expecting me and made me very welcome in his house and showing me his collection of bikes. Honda XL250, XL640, Suzuki V Strom and........a Ural sidecar outfit !!! Fantastic !
After unpacking and having a quick chat he suggested we go into Bend for a beer...great.....and lets go in the Ural. Oh Yeah ! What a ride, alond dirt roads and tarmac it made a change and we certainly got plenty of attention from everyone we passed. It's a babe magnet....shame I am not !!
Couple of beers in a Micro Brew pub (very busy) and then for a pizza before the ride home in the dark using the spotlight on the sidecar. Great. It was still warm so only T shirts required.
Park has shown me plenty of routes to take in the US so looking forward to riding as many of them as possible.
Good nights sleep, said our goodbyes and off on the road again

Thank you, Park, for your hospitality & friendship. Much appreciated.

Low speed indicates tight bends

Park & his baby !!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #103
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
It was a pleasure having you Dave. Wish you could have stayed another night and we could have gone for a ride. Enjoyed talking about bikes and riding. Hope you can get to some of those roads we discussed. If you need any follow up just drop me a line. Look forward to following your reports and you know I'm going to pick your brain because as you know I plan on doing the trip south next summer if everything works out. For any fellow ADVer's out there if Dave is going to be in your area put him up for a night. Nice bloke who is welcome at my place anytime.

I'm checking on that gear and will shoot you a PM or email when I know something.

Safe travels my friend.
hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #104
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Miles Today 184 Total 10.157

As Park & I had beers last night I wrote up yesterdays blog this morning AND had to Skype the boss. Park offered to let me stay a further evening, and as tempting as it was (he offered to go for a ride with me in the afternoon and show me some good roads) I have to get moving.

He had suggested the route to Crater Lake, which I had never heard of...............Was it worth it ??? OMG, yes !!!! The road up there was stunning and when I first looked over the rim I can honestly say it took my breath away. Not sure if the pics have done it justice but I have NEVER seen a blue like that water. Simply stunning !!

I rode all around the lake and the pics are from different spots.

It was VERY hot today so I soaked my T shirt in cold water before I left Park's and putting it on in a cool house was not pleasant but it really made a difference riding to the crater. On entering the Crater Lake Park I noticed it was getting cooler then I looked at the GPS and realised I had climbed to 1800m at that point. It peaked out at 2330m, the highest I have ridden on this trip by far. Snow was up there...not a lot, but it was there.

The "Landmark" is that I have now ridden over 10,000 miles on this trip (just over 10 weeks) and the bike, which started in New York at 9928 also hit 20,000 miles today !!!! Fingers crossed !!!
Before I hit the campsite I popped into a small supermarket to buy some COLD beer ! When I got outside an older guy was looking at the bike. It was a LONG conversation....he has never had a bike but his father worked in the movie industry on the sound production for many movies including John Wayne & William Holden ones. Mostly for John Ford, the director. He has also travelled the world just about everywhere. Anyway, by the time we had finished the beer was HOT, not warm, but hot ! Had to but a $2 bag of ice in the campsite.

Tomorrow, back to the coast & California !!!

The base of the crater

Beautiful......and so is the lake !!

10,000 Miles on this trip and 20,000 miles on the clock. I bought this bike in April 2012 with 1450 miles on it so........ummmm......18,549 in 15 months !!! Not bad.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #105
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Told you Crater Lake was worth the trip. You need to listen to us Yanks on where to ride....we won't steer you wrong. Nice pics, keep them coming.
hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote