User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
blkhrt81 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Busted in Bucharest

Had a brain fart moment last Saturday, on my way out of Bucharest, made a couple corners, traffic was light. I was headed east on a nice wide street, nothing in front of me, glance at the GPS, says next corner 102 km.
Just coming into an intersection and see cars coming on my right THEN, I see the red on the post in the center island. Hard on the brakes but I manage to tag a Skoda in the rear quarter.
Get the bike picked up and out of the flow with the help of a couple of young Romanian guys and start to sort the situation out. The guy I hit and his wife are (understandably) upset and give a pointed lecture. I apologize profusely and the police show to take preliminary statements.
I had had coffee that morning with an inmate here and he had said to give him a call if I needed anything in Romania. This seemed like the time so I gave Achile a call, told him I'd fucked up and could sure use his help.
Achile showed up just as we loaded the bike on a tow truck and headed for the police station. I have got to say, he was just so much help I don't know how I will ever thank him. Maybe take the bullet next time one of his girlfriends pulls a gun?
He arranged with a friend of his who runs a motorcycle shop to take the bike in and fix it. Got all the police paperwork filled out and insisted on taking me to the hospital to get my thumb checked out. Basically spent all day taking care of this dumb Canadian.
And then, he takes me to Gabby's (owner of the shop, Wolf Moto Service) they feed me and they take me to a rock concert and then to a club that night.

The upshot of the whole thing is, I'm hanging out in Bucharest for two weeks until I get back on the road and it's going to cost me a couple grand. But, it's a beautiful city, I'm in a nice hotel and I have met some absolutely first class people!
Just one little side note, if you have an accident in Romania and go to the hospital, it is a whole bunch of extra paperwork and complication. I had told the cop I was ok and didn't need a doctor so avoided it. Achile warned me on the way though so I fudged the truth a bit about how I dislocated my thumb. Not sure if the doc really believed me but he let it go anyway.
blkhrt81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
MTKNZ
Touring Kiwi

Oddometer: 104
D'oh! you were really lucky there.
Big ups to Achile for helping you out of a real jam there.
Hope you heal fast, and well.
Is this a good time to remember that its better to believe your eyes than your GPS???
long may your good luck continue....
Old 05-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
blkhrt81 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oh, I can't blame it on the GPS, if anything I did find the lights in Bucharest could be a little confusing sometimes there are three lights in the same intersection, sometimes they are an overhead but this time, the one that counted was a short post on the center island and I just plain did not pick it out until it was too late.

For sure, Achile's help made all the difference. Without it, I'd be one sorry puppy right now, but as it is it has actually been a pretty positive experience.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 719
Amicu certus in re incerta cernitur

A friend in need is a friend indeed!!

Nice work, Achilles.

blkhrt81, glad it worked out OK.

Hope the rest of your trip goes well.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,862
Good to hear a positive from this. Keep up your good attitude, it goes a long way in life.
When I first got my license as a teenager I blew through 5 or 6 red lights in Washington DC when I drove there for the first time. The signals were on lamp posts on the side of the road, not overhead like I was used to.
I learned. I might be a slow learner, but I learned :-)
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
MTKNZ
Touring Kiwi

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
I might be a slow learner, but :-)
I resemble that remark!
Old 05-09-2013, 02:41 AM   #7
blkhrt81 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtknz View Post
i resemble that remark!
+1
Old 05-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,652
great your ok. Those Skoda's can be a hazard. My dad had two here in the US in the early 60's, must of stopped importing them along the way...
Old 05-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,305
Now that's a great ADV story! Hope your thumb heals quickly. Stuck in Bucharest, innit? Don't threaten me with a good time!

How fast were you going when you hit the Skoda and how did it hold up?
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
blkhrt81 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Now that's a great ADV story! Hope your thumb heals quickly. Stuck in Bucharest, innit? Don't threaten me with a good time!

How fast were you going when you hit the Skoda and how did it hold up?
I'm going to guess about 20 kmph, maybe even less. The Skoda actually didn't look too bad, dent about 2 inches deep and the size of a frying pan just back of the rear door.

Got the bike back today, the boys at Wolf Moto Service did a great job of patching it up and getting me on the road. And they are just real cool folks to hang around with, so if you ever get to Bucharest, it's a good place to go for service or repair or just to see.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 434
Glad you Are okay.

Do not admit fault or apologize after an accident.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
achile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
:) Thanx for the thumb's up. It was nothing...
I couldn't leave you with those damn jackals.
I'll post some pictures with the skoda, the traffic cop and the triumph tomorow.

So, guys, if you ever want to transit Romania, just give me a buzz. I'll try to help as much as possible.
achile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #13
achile
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkhrt81 View Post
Oh, I can't blame it on the GPS, if anything I did find the lights in Bucharest could be a little confusing sometimes there are three lights in the same intersection, sometimes they are an overhead but this time, the one that counted was a short post on the center island and I just plain did not pick it out until it was too late.

For sure, Achile's help made all the difference. Without it, I'd be one sorry puppy right now, but as it is it has actually been a pretty positive experience.
Damn teenagers.... You can't leave them out of your sight....

The bike...

The bike an the cop:

The Skoda

And more to come from the rebuild. :)

Thank you WolfMoto Service for working overtime, on a saturday.

achile screwed with this post 06-04-2013 at 02:52 AM
Old 06-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
Mimic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Dude (Achile) came all the way from Brasov? I believe that's like an Edmontonian coming to help a Calgarian. You owe him big time
I assume you stayed at the Marriott. Love the lobby bar. Big celeb stop. Bucharest is great city.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #15
achile
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimic View Post
Dude (Achile) came all the way from Brasov? I believe that's like an Edmontonian coming to help a Calgarian. You owe him big time
I assume you stayed at the Marriott. Love the lobby bar. Big celeb stop. Bucharest is great city.
I was in Bucharest. Bill told me he was comming to Bucharest and asked for a hotel. I suggested the Ibis, close to the Marriot.
We had a cup of coffee in the morning and went our separate ways. Half a hour later: "Erm...Dragos, I'm in trouble!"
Called a friend with a van, gased it up and went after him...and the party started.
The two guys in the car were hustlers, trying to make some easy money. They wanted 1000 euros+insurance, saying they won't involve the police and Bill wouldn't lose his licence. I spoke to the cops....Bill paid a 80$ fine...and lost his licence for 90 days. I got it back a few days later.

So...after we finished with the cops and the hustlers, we needed to get the bike to a safe place...so I called my good friend Gabi, the owner of a repair shop. He came in on a saturday and started working.

I'll leave the rest of the story to Bill. (food, drinks, girls...etc)