User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
MCP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
That helps...

and my comfort limit for a day is about 600 km so, I'll either add another day to the route or stick to the ferry.

Last question - to anyone in the know - it looks to me whether you take PG to Fort Nelson and on to the junction of #1 & #37 or PG on #16 to #37 and up to #1 its the same mileage.

What route is more interesting - scenery and road quality?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdlboy View Post
It was a very long day from PG to Liard River Hotsprings (~ 1200 kms?) we left PG before 8 am and got to LRH around 10 pm. The next day to Whitehorse was only tough in that it was a torrential downpour for about 5 or 6 hours. Would I do it again? Tough call, but by the end of day 2 I'm not sure any of us were making the best or safest riding decisions. We usually try to stick to about 600 kms/day on average, but have sometimes had to push on for 800 to 1000 because we "have" to get somewhere (seems to happen about once/trip).
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #17
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP View Post
and my comfort limit for a day is about 600 km so, I'll either add another day to the route or stick to the ferry.

Last question - to anyone in the know - it looks to me whether you take PG to Fort Nelson and on to the junction of #1 & #37 or PG on #16 to #37 and up to #1 its the same mileage.

What route is more interesting - scenery and road quality?

Thanks
Stewart Cassiar by a mile, tons of amazing sidetrips along there that are a shame to miss also.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,827
I was gonna try this a last summer when I lived in Victoria, taking 11 days to Prudhoe Bay and back. I believe my math at the time had me going 9800+kms. I said frig that, but I should of taken the opportunity to drive up there with the family and taken a few weeks.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #19
Overland Journal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I agree the Stewart Cassiar route is awesome.

The other thing you need to be aware of is the ridiculous amount of wildlife out there in the summer. Even last Spring when we went up, there were already Moose and Deer and Cariboo and Muskox and every damn thing on 4 legs running out onto the road.

Long days in the saddle make you tired. You need your wits about you with all the animals up there. Especially late in the day when they start moving around.

If i was going to do an epic BC ride in the summer, over 9 days, I'd go East to Hope, follow 1 up the Fraser Canyon to 100 Mile, over to PG, left towards Vanderhoof (past the house I grew up in on the Hart Hwy), then over to Smithers, Terrace, Rupert, take the ferry to Port Hardy, ride the Malahat down the island, and then take the other ferry from Nanaimo down to Horseshoe Bay.

9 days would be perfect. 4 days up, 1 day on the ferry, 3 days down, 1 day to deal with the inevitable something going wrong.

Hell, now that I've typed it, I think I may do it this summer.

Cheers

Ray

The publication for environmentally responsible, worldwide vehicle-supported expedition and adventure travel.
Overland Journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #20
canucksurfdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Vanc-arctic

Went up the cassiar last July. 7 days vanc to pruhdoe bay. 6 days back on the alcan to vancouver. Some 500km days,some 800km days. Day 12 was toad river to pg..1001km. The overnight stops/daily mileage is partially determined by accommodations. Camping gives a bit more flexibility. Would have liked to spend a bit more time kicking back in places like Dawson city. Ideally the 13 days should have been 16-17 return.

gone but not forgotten....
04 k1200gt
04 volusia
07 wee strom
canucksurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote