User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
luckygrownup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Anyone here own a KTM 350 EXE-F ?

I am looking at the Enduro KTM 350 EXE-F as a my next bike.Does anyone ride this bike ? I want a bike I can ride on the highway to challenging off-road destinations.
I have a R1200 GSA, but it seems too heavy and expensive for any aggressive off road riding.

P.S. I am 6'5" and 210 lbs.
luckygrownup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
ride on a highway? no no no, I think you are a bit disorienteded. it's ready to race off road bike. after half an hour on a street you'll be done.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,281
First, correct the spelling in your thread title so searches will actually find it. It is EXC-F.

Second, there is a complete thread on this bike, and its sister (the 500 EXC). Just read the thread titles. They are active, so they always appear in the first few pages. All of your questions are already answered there. Don't reinvent the wheel (again!).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784986
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682150

Third, you might be more interested in the KTM 690 Enduro - it would seem to suit your needs better. There are at least three threads on this bike here.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
PisgahX
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygrownup View Post
I am looking at the Enduro KTM 350 EXE-F as a my next bike.Does anyone ride this bike ? I want a bike I can ride on the highway to challenging off-road destinations.
I have a R1200 GSA, but it seems too heavy and expensive for any aggressive off road riding.

P.S. I am 6'5" and 210 lbs.
At your size I would consider the 500 EXC it's power delivery is easier to ride as well. Change to a better seat and springs if your fast and its ready to go. I would avoid the 690 if your "challenging off-road destinations" is what I'm thinking. Your already have a bike that suited for what the 690 does.
PisgahX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by PisgahX View Post
At your size I would consider the 500 EXC it's power delivery is easier to ride as well. Change to a better seat and springs if your fast and its ready to go. I would avoid the 690 if your "challenging off-road destinations" is what I'm thinking. Your already have a bike that suited for what the 690 does.
comparing a 690 to a 1200 GS

Where you gathering that kinda info ??

my 690 can go anywhere my 520 EXC goes (close enuf to 500 EXC). The 520 does the tight stuff better, but the 690 can still do it just fine
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
I have a 2012 350 EXC-F. This bike is all about the gearing. Sure, it will do highway, in stock form, but it really wants to be geared down and taken to tight trails. The gearing makes it a compromise. The 6 transmission ratios are such that you can do one, or the other, but not both.
I swapped out the stock 14/45 gearing for a 13/48 combo. I can still ride trail to trail comfortably, on secondary streets (speeds 45-55 MPH), but highway stuff is out of the question. The bike is also super-light, which means that it would not be fun at high speed, surrounded by cars and trucks.
JMO.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
brianpc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
The 350 EXC-F is a plated enduro dirt bike - it is not really a true dual sport, thought it *can* do freeway/street trips. The maintenance schedule it requires is not conducive to frequent street rides with high mileage. Plan on changing the oil / air filter after dirt usage every 10-15 hours.

You might be more interested in a 690 Enduro R - it's 50lbs more than the 350 EXC-F, helluva lot more streetable with more reasonable (for a streetbike) maintenance intervals, more power, but is completely dirtworthy.
brianpc is offline   Reply With Quote