ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
Ride Report- 5 Miles of Hell

I got an invite from a friend (Von) to to do some riding around Green River, with a friend of his (Sam) from Washington. Von mentioned riding some technical singletrack around Woodside and some unspecific Green River area trails... he never mentioned 5 Miles of Hell until I showed up Thursday morning and asked where we were riding!

I figured 'What the Hell... at least I have a bike that's capable!'

Von rides a '10 KTM 250 XCFW that he recently installed a big bore kit in. Sam was on a '12 300 XC and he is a hell of a rider. I was the only cheater, with a Rekluse in my '08 KTM 300 XC...

The trail is relentless, it doesn't ever let you take a break. Constant, gnarly climbs & drops, DEEP sugar-sand that doesn't allow you to maintain any forward momentum and so much rock, tight spots, ledge-filled climbs... it's a lot to take on.

The 300 is the perfect bike for 5MOH, IMO. The Rekluse really helped me out, but it was still very hard work. Videos online don't do it justice, the 'Crux' is no joke.. friggin' 4' ledge, with a crappy, short sand-covered approach... and even the approach has a 1' ledge right where you're starting to get your momentum up. It was INTENSE!! All 3 of us got our bikes on to the Crux, but nobody was able to ride all the way up. Von put on one hell of a show... wheelied his bike up the main part of the Crux, did a pirouette on the rear tire and just tried to stay out of the way when it came back down!

There were some spots where your (IMO) best bet was to completely remove the front wheel/tire/suspension from the equation... aka, wheelie up the multiple ledges! It worked like a charm, most of the time.

I do have to say, everyone was all similes and great attitudes, despite the trails difficulty! Lots of breaks to catch our breath & rest up for the upcoming obstacles, talking about line selection, etc... it was a great ride.

Von hooked us all up with some awesome jerseys!

(Watch it in HD, it's more better!)

Greg@RME screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 12:51 PM
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
greenramp
Airborne

Oddometer: 96
Awesome, looks like a good deal of fun was had.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenramp View Post
Awesome, looks like a good deal of fun was had.
It was very fun, lots of laughs and smiles all day long... can't ask for much more.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Cloud9
I was HERE?

Oddometer: 1,877
Hey Greg, sounds like you had a great time. And that's one fun trail. But sorry to say the 300 is not the perfect bike for 5MoH. Cleaned everything thing on a CRF230F, that's the perfect bike! Even for the Crux, walked right up and over it first time, no issues, no help, everything else included before and after. Sorry, just ragg'n on ya a bit for fun, but it's true.

The problem is that currently I don't have my old 230 any more so now I'll have to struggle like everyone else if I get a chance to get out there again.
Cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9 View Post
Hey Greg, sounds like you had a great time. And that's one fun trail. But sorry to say the 300 is not the perfect bike for 5MoH. Cleaned everything thing on a CRF230F, that's the perfect bike! Even for the Crux, walked right up and over it first time, no issues, no help, everything else included before and after. Sorry, just ragg'n on ya a bit for fun, but it's true.

The problem is that currently I don't have my old 230 any more so now I'll have to struggle like everyone else if I get a chance to get out there again.

Fine, the 300 was perfect for me... So much more maneuverable than my previous WR450 and the suspension on the 300 kicks ass.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
What a beastly trail. How would I get to it? Is it over in the Needles? Is it in Canyonlands?

What (if any) 4x4 trails is it near? (I recently went out there to Jeep so I know where those are, got the Charles Well's Moab trail book)

I definitely wanna hit that trail when I go back in October.

I learned quickly that four wheeling in Moab with the vehicle that's supposed to get you home is a very stressful endeavor.

Definitely bringing the dirt scoots next time so the Jeep doesn't take all the abuse.

.........anyway. Trail looks like too much fun. Gotta ride it. Gotta ride White Rim too, I was just in awe when I saw that trail and was pissed when I learned I couldn't Jeep it with the dogs in the rig.

THANKS FOR SHARING!

The pictures and the video were great, I gotta get some friends like that to ride with...
Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
Ditch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
I love the question "Do you need help getting your bike out of that tree?"
Old 05-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
BuilderScott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 884
Awesome!
BuilderScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #9
Fidget
Informed Guesser

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post

Just laughed at the same thing

I think I would have come out of there with 3 broken legs.
Fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,113
I got tired and sore just watching the video - That's some serious riding!
Old 05-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolander View Post
What a beastly trail. How would I get to it? Is it over in the Needles? Is it in Canyonlands?

What (if any) 4x4 trails is it near? (I recently went out there to Jeep so I know where those are, got the Charles Well's Moab trail book)

I definitely wanna hit that trail when I go back in October.

I learned quickly that four wheeling in Moab with the vehicle that's supposed to get you home is a very stressful endeavor.

Definitely bringing the dirt scoots next time so the Jeep doesn't take all the abuse.

.........anyway. Trail looks like too much fun. Gotta ride it. Gotta ride White Rim too, I was just in awe when I saw that trail and was pissed when I learned I couldn't Jeep it with the dogs in the rig.

THANKS FOR SHARING!

The pictures and the video were great, I gotta get some friends like that to ride with...
The trailhead is easy to find, located in the San Rafael Swell just South of I70. Take exit 131, follow the road South down Temple Mountain Rd about 8 miles to the parking lot and trailhead for 5MOH.

There are 4x4 trails all over the Swell, Black Dragon Canyon, Eagle Canyon, Devils Racetrack, etc etc.

If you're going to ride it, take some friends... you'll probably need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderScott View Post
Awesome!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidget View Post
Just laughed at the same thing

I think I would have come out of there with 3 broken legs.

I've known Von for a long time, he's a great rider on that 250, but wasn't geared well for 5MOH and it wasn't working well for him.

I sound like an ass in the video, but it's fun to razz a good friend on the trail. The 'Tree' comment was the line of the weekend, we all got a pretty good laugh out of that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinP View Post
I got tired and sore just watching the video - That's some serious riding!
It wears on you over time, for sure! 4 hours of riding actually wasn't that bad, but it has the potential to be quite brutal.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,320
Looks like you all worked to have some fun.

OMG

Beautiful countryside!
Old 05-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #13
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

So here's Part II of 5MOH... pretty much every thing else. (Again, choose HD!) -

Old 05-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #14
nevermind
silly rabbit...

Oddometer: 2,523
Quote:
"Do you need help getting your bike out of that tree?"
Y'all ain't quite right in the head...
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
1stgear
1 down 5 up

Oddometer: 39
Need to ride that trail one of these days.