ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu OP
1 Less Car

Oddometer: 237
Speeding ticket on Hwy 20 east of Cartersville, GA

I had a training seminar for work last Wednesday. Left the session and thought 'I can either super slab it back home, or take the long way 'round and ride Hwy 20 home.' 10 minutes later I'm on the side of Hwy 20 after pulling away from the Exxon, getting a ticket from a GSP officer (I'll spare the details of where he basically ran me into the on-coming lane to stop).

So the state trooper said he's wrote me up for 59 in a 45, but noted in the remarks on the ticket that I was doing 63 in a 45 "Trying to beat the rain". He also incorrectly noted the following: that I have black hair (it's brown), that the weather was clear and dry ( it was overcast, breezy & spitting rain), that I ride an '06 black Suzuki GSX-R1000 ('05 blue Yamaha FZ-6), that my registration expires in May (Sept), and I do not have a CDL (I do).

I've never received a speeding ticket on a motorcycle, never received a ticket in Georgia and I last received a moving violation in 2002 in Maryland. I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with speeding violations in Bartow County GA as written by the GSP, and if so any advice for me?

Thanks.
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
5punksdad
Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer: 2,730
somebody is bound to suggest you violate the officer's mother. Just warning you.
5punksdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu OP
1 Less Car

Oddometer: 237
Really? Nobody?
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
5punksdad
Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer: 2,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu View Post
Really? Nobody?
pay it and move on
5punksdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
JALnSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
I know you can pay SCHP tickets online. Possibly Georgia as well.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,943
I've had my share of tickets on a motorcycle in various states so have some perspective. As 5punksdad stated, you could pay it, accept fault to the state of Georgia for breaking the law by speeding and take the points hit on your license. In VA, where I live, you can gain positive "good" riding points up to 5+ max by not having a ticket each year. You may be able to check your DMV online to see how much of a cushion you may have. I don't know quite what the insurance impact would be but mine is still quite affordable for my coverage and hasn't changed much over the years.

The other option is to follow up with the court on the ticket and inform them you will be there at either the date on the ticket OR the officer's next available appointment. In some states, pushing it back a bit may chance the officer is not available to show, has no other tickets that day and doesn't want to come, may be sick, may take up motorcycling and decide he'd rather ride slightly over the limit safely.(okay maybe not that last one) In court you could attempt to argue your points of contention. It sounds like there are many items the officer failed to include or erroneously entered so that gives you some ground to stand on. The real issue to the judge however is "Was a law broken? Were you speeding?" not hair color. It is a fine line dealing with a magistrate or judge between being assertive and defending your case or appearing disingenuous. Often times just making a presence in court and arguing a solid portion of your case (focus on conditions, environmental factors, motorcycle speedometer calibration etc) can assist in lowering a fine or reducing a charge. I know it has for me on multiple occasions. Fortunately he cut you a break though by not actually giving you a 15+ ticket which carries a higher fine.

If you want it to drag on and have the time off work and life to spend a morning in court, it is worth a shot. The worst that could happen is you have to pay it in the end. The best is a reduced charge or having it dropped all together.

Just my $.02

HBN
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:49 AM   #7
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
I once argued in court in Virginia that the officer wrote down a lot of stuff incorrectly on the ticket.
The judge didn't seem to think any of that was relevant to how fast I was going.
He also didn't believe me when I said I wasn't going quite that fast.
That day could have been spent more productively.

On the other hand, a judge once also dismissed a ticket when I admitted I really was speeding, so sometimes it works out well.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
Cgar Mike
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Really? Nobody?
Dont pay it and get a lawyer...it will save you points and money (in the long run)
Old 05-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
SquirrelyGrl
Squirrely Girl

Oddometer: 888
Call the # on the ticket for how much it is for paying the fine.

Also ~ Did he checkmark the ticket were you asked him to check the speed you were going?

There should be a check box, on the ticket if the Defendant asked the officer to check his speed.

With it being Bartow County, I would suggest not paying (but be ready to on the spot) Attend the court date. Be reasonable, and courteous to the Probate Judge. I would suggest you approach the Judge for not applying the ticket your record in the best way possible.

I have several, several, many, many tickets under my belt. Car and Motorbike, most in GA. I also work in courthouses!!

Just being a 'nice' guy and not presenting an 'asshole' attitude can get you a long way.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:35 AM   #10
RBrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
I got a ticket on my bike in Ga a couple years ago. I've got a CDL license too. I went to court, asked the judge to waive the points, as it would impact my CDL license. I ended up paying the fine, but got no points.

Prior to that, I got a bike ticket in NC, went to court and asked for and received probation without verdict (NC calls it something else), paid court cost, but no points.

Call up the Clerk of the court for that county and ask them what possible avenues are available to you under Ga law.

I'd do all possible to avoid getting points on that CDL. The fine is a one time hit, but the points hang on for years.

Above all, be respectful to all concerned if you go to court. If you've got a clean driving record, bring of copy of it to court with you. That's what I did in my NC case.

Of course, letting a lawyer handle it might be a good option too.

Good luck!

RB
RBrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,913
Were you in fact speeding? I live 2 miles from the Exxon that you speak of and GSP patrols the area for a good reason. A lot of wrecks happen at that Exxon because or people speeding.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
I had a training seminar for work last Wednesday. Left the session and thought 'I can either super slab it back home, or take the long way 'round and ride Hwy 20 home.' 10 minutes later I'm on the side of Hwy 20 after pulling away from the Exxon, getting a ticket from a GSP officer (I'll spare the details of where he basically ran me into the on-coming lane to stop).

So the state trooper said he's wrote me up for 59 in a 45, but noted in the remarks on the ticket that I was doing 63 in a 45 "Trying to beat the rain". He also incorrectly noted the following: that I have black hair (it's brown), that the weather was clear and dry ( it was overcast, breezy & spitting rain), that I ride an '06 black Suzuki GSX-R1000 ('05 blue Yamaha FZ-6), that my registration expires in May (Sept), and I do not have a CDL (I do).

I've never received a speeding ticket on a motorcycle, never received a ticket in Georgia and I've never driven on GA20 before and seen that the GSP patrols that road like a hawk watchin a bunny rabbit. I last received a moving violation in 2002 in Maryland. I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with speeding violations in Bartow County GA as written by the GSP, and if so any advice for me?

Thanks.
I fixed that little note for ya!

Fido

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:33 AM   #13
Thunder-dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I've gone through that stretch for over twenty years and find they patrol it frequently both in Cherokee and Bartow. In the last few years they have widened the road to 4 lanes and dropped the speed limit from 55 to 45. Does that make sense? I think it's a revenue generating speed trap but the last time I "fought" a speeding ticket was some years ago in Chattanooga. I stated my case that I did not believe I was speeding and think the officer targeted the wrong vehicle. Judge looked at the officer, asked when he had his radar checked, dropped his gravel and it was over. So I did a 200 mile round trip, spend over half a day for nothing.
Thunder-dog is offline   Reply With Quote