ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #181
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
The lack of resale is a consideration. On that front, nothing can compare with Harley. The small Victory dealer network is also a concern. Unfortunately anything short of touring on a bike simply won't be enough to tell you if you will like it. What is your bud's chief complaint?
He's about 5'10" with an appx 30" inseam. He says it is built for taller/longer folks, which was also my thought when I rode it. I know that probably suits you better. His secondary complaint is parts and accessories cost, something I can attest to from my time as a specialty claims adjuster. Victory parts are outrageous. Still, they are high quality bikes and a real steal if you find one lightly used and let someone else take the depreciation beating.
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #182
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Just Pass'n Through....
Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by 131unlimited View Post
To Timspong and mountain cruiser -

11 Streetglide with a 103, ABS, Security and Cruise. Changed the handlebars, added a backrest and installed a set of mid frame heat deflectors - left the entire drivetrain , including the mufflers all stock.

8k miles, zero issues with the drivetrain. The 103 in stock form is no dragstrip king, but it will hustle down a highway at 85 - 95 all day without a hiccup and run over the posted speed on backroads with no complaints.

Best of luck to you both on getting the new RK's.

Thanks. I will probably do similiar. Passenger backrest and detachable luggage rack are must do's for me. Other than that, I'm not planning on changing much for awhile, if ever.



.

Mountain Cruiser screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 09:09 PM
Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #183
Juan Loboe
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Juan Loboe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Central AZ Megatropolis
Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
I really like the Street Glide, but I'm curious to see the new Gold Wing stripper. That F6B thing. Fairing coverage looks to be on a par with the Street Glide, but that engine! That will get some votes. Anybody come across one in the flesh? Thoughts on it?
Lyle
Fat. Not "phat".

The seating is better than a standard Wing. Roomier.

Typical Honda everything else.

An interesting alternative. But Harley's are better looking- to me.
__________________
My $ .02
Juan Loboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #184
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,413
Would the Norge qualify as a "luxury" touring bike?
Lyle
skysailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #185
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
He's about 5'10" with an appx 30" inseam. He says it is built for taller/longer folks, which was also my thought when I rode it. I know that probably suits you better. His secondary complaint is parts and accessories cost, something I can attest to from my time as a specialty claims adjuster. Victory parts are outrageous. Still, they are high quality bikes and a real steal if you find one lightly used and let someone else take the depreciation beating.
This I don't get. The floorboards are 18" long with adjustable brake and shifter pedals. If that's not enough you can move the entire floorboard assembly back another inch or so if desired. Longer handlebars and risers are also readily available. If he's not comfortable maybe he didn't try to hard.

While taller than your friend I've not found a more comfortable bike for me, stock.
__________________
John M.
'08 Kawasaki Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #186
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,094
His main complaint had to do with reach to the bars. I felt the same way after I rode it. He doesn't have long arms, but they aren't abnormally short either. He has changed the bars and it still doesn't work for him.

Glad you are comfortable on it. Some folks just can't get comfortable on a particular bike no matter what they do. It's more than just distance between seat and controls, often it's about the geometric relationship. I've been there after spending lots of money and wasting many hours of my time only to have to concede defeat and sell a bike I otherwise really enjoyed. My '06 FJR was one such bike. Even after 30,000 miles, the MCL Larry upper fork brace, a couple of custom seats, and a host of other things I had to accept the fact that it was contributing to my chronic tendonitis issues. So I sold it.
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #187
timspong
Gnarly Adventurer
 
timspong's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Ashburn VA
Oddometer: 221
Back in the 80's in Edinburgh, Scotland. There were a few clapped out British bikes, a handful of Italian exotica, a smattering of beemers exclusively ridden by old folk and absolutely no Harley's at all. So all anyone had were Japanese bikes.

However, the one thing I remember was everyone used to hate on goldwing riders for some reason. I guess because as far as we figured, you may as well drive a car than ride a Goldwing. We had no concept of Harley hating at all and if we had ever seen one our jaws would have dropped in awe.

I was going to make a really profound point but I can't remember what the hell it was now. I guess I'd better go buy a Beemer!

Edit.....
Now I remember. To this day I would never even consider buying a goldwing merely because of how we used to bad mouth them over 30 years ago and I guess there are similar prejudices here in the US about Harley's. At the end of the day, buying a bike is more of an emotional decision than a practical one so care must be made not to choose a bike for practical reasons alone. Kinda like choosing a wife I guess.

timspong screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 09:03 PM
timspong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #188
Shastarider
Head and Eyes
 
Shastarider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Shasta
Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
First off, Kudos to you for working towards an objective evaluation, and actually going into a Harley Dealer to try them. With your bias against Harley's that was a very fair thing to do.

Your three important traits, weather, ride, and smoothness, are just that, YOUR three important traits. And while they have value, others may weight them differently in importance. Nonetheless, the Wing should poke a cleaner hole in the wind as Harley puts more importance on tradition than Honda does, and that is reflected in their fairings. And all brands seem to sacrifice the suspension for cost savings. Harley is very guilty of that, and upgraded aftermarket shocks and springs are a welcome improvement. But, Wing riders and BMW riders are also spending money to put high dollar shocks on their bikes, often the same brands as Harley riders. It would nice if any touring motorcycle maker would put the best shocks on at the factory.




So that leaves engine smoothness. And here's where we differ. Unlike you, I realize and accept that every reciprocal engine is going to make vibrations. They may be high frequency (buzzy) or low frequency (rumble), they may be minimized at some rpms, and maximized at others. And as you said, may not be consciously noticeable to humans. But, they are going to be there. Even very smooth 12 cylinder luxury car engines are rubber mounted to the frame, so that the drive train is isolated from the frame, body, and occupants. Honda and Acura do this in their cars, but not their motorcycles?

IIRC, Wings and BMW use their engines as a stressed member of the frame. Or at the least, the engines are firmly bolted to the frame in a rigid manner. So any vibration from the engine is transmitted to the frame, and eventually to the rider. As Honda has worked hard to remove the low frequency vibrations, what they are forced to have are high frequency vibrations.

Now you profess that all vibrations are bad, and I disagree. The human heart make a vibration when it fires off, in a cadence that is remarkable similar to a Harley 45 degree v-twin when it fires off. I don't think that was HD's intent, but it is note-worthy. And that may be part of why I find the gentle rumble of the Harley engine in their rubber-mounted touring frame to be so relaxing hour after hour, day after day, thousand miles after thousand miles. Whatever it is, I like the behavior characteristic of the Harley low frequency vibration as it gently comes through the rubber mounts. I especially like that it does NOT have a high frequency vibrating buzziness that wears on me, personally.

One trait you did not mention, or I missed, that to me seems important for a luxury touring motorcycle, is rider comfort. Re: foot placement, the wing offers only two choses: on the pegs under your hips, or spread eagle like a woman getting her annual exam. I don't find either of those to be comfortable for very long. The Harley engine/frame design allows a vast flexibility of where to shift your feet and therefore your legs are less likely to cramp up, allowing greater comfort for the long haul. You see, that is important to me, but I won't say it has to be important to you, because you are obviously willing to put up with it.

If you had admitted in your first post on this topic that your touring motorcycle "issues" were just the issues you personally found important for yourself, a lot of our follow up posts would not have been needed. But the absolute certainty of what you professed as important for all of us is nothing short of arrogance. It was also wrong for many of us. A good riding suit makes the weather protection of the biggest fairing less important; and many find the relaxing lope of Harley's rubber-mounted engine better for the long haul than the sterile high frequency buzz of a boxer engine.

Boatpuller....where did you get the info "The human heart make a vibration when it fires off, in a cadence that is remarkable similar to a Harley 45 degree v-twin when it fires off. I don't think that was HD's intent, but it is note-worthy."

That is intersting.
__________________
Anything on two wheels please.
Shastarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #189
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!
 
Maggot12's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Barrie Ont
Oddometer: 3,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastarider View Post
Boatpuller....where did you get the info "The human heart make a vibration when it fires off, in a cadence that is remarkable similar to a Harley 45 degree v-twin when it fires off. I don't think that was HD's intent, but it is note-worthy."

That is intersting.
My heart beats at about 64 resting pulse per minute. I guess if one turns down the idle so it's extremely close to stalling, you may get close..

As for HDs being luxury tourers, may as well add the big honda VTXs, kawi vulcans, yami stratoliners and roadstars. There are many ways to tour on big cruisers. it doesn't need to be HD or nothing, like many here believe.
__________________
Maggot

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #190
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
it doesn't need to be HD or nothing, like many here believe.
We must be reading different threads, because I've not seen anyone say or even suggest HD was the only option. I've seen lots of folks with lots of experience across many motorcycles/manufacturers say it is their favorite option, which only suggests there's something more to the touring ability and comfort of a Harley than you care to admit. In fact, the only closed-minded posts I've seen in this thread have been from anti-Harley folks, such as yourself
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #191
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
His main complaint had to do with reach to the bars. I felt the same way after I rode it. He doesn't have long arms, but they aren't abnormally short either. He has changed the bars and it still doesn't work for him.
That was my impression of the Victory bikes as well. It was mediocre ok as long as the wheel was pointed straight ahead. Turn it though and the tremendous sweep of the bars almost had me laid out across the tank trying to hand onto the far grip.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #192
BCC
I know better
 
BCC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Southern NJ
Oddometer: 7,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
We must be reading different threads, because I've not seen anyone say or even suggest HD was the only option. I've seen lots of folks with lots of experience across many motorcycles/manufacturers say it is their favorite option, which only suggests there's something more to the touring ability and comfort of a Harley than you care to admit. In fact, the only closed-minded posts I've seen in this thread have been from anti-Harley folks, such as yourself
My all time favorite big time tour was done on a naked Suzuki GS 750. Clearly it's the best and you all are just wrong.
__________________
Living the fullest life means leaving a history of goodness behind you for others to remember.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #193
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Just Pass'n Through....
Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRoadToad View Post
Allow me...

I like women, not men dressed as women. You know, we call these imitations of life "Drag Queens". Feh.

I like Harleys, not Japanese bikes trying to look like a Harley. You know, we call these imitations of life "Drag Bikes". Feh.

If you care not for HD, fine. Just do not compare the original to a tarted up fruit cycle of a fake. The latter is for pussbags too self-concious to get what they want. All in the name of "going their own way". Stupid. It does not have to be HD or nothing, but those that stoop to moral limbo by buying a hussy bike like the Starley or Kawacopy are total pussies of the first order.

Oh, and for the record I own a GL1800. Had a Road King before that and may well own another HD one day. Both are smooth riding, excellent touring rigs in their own right. The ones you mentioned belong in a Pride Parade.

I suppose since the Shriners use Harleys, the Pride Parade Pussies are entitled to their (again) imitation of life.

Do not go there. Or do. Please do...

Yes, I am in a mood.

Thee Toade




Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #194
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Would the Norge qualify as a "luxury" touring bike?
Lyle
No Lyle, a Norge is not a Luxury Tourer, but it is a hell of a good bike to cover alot of states quickly! You know, it is as much a luxery tourer as a Harley FL since neither quite reach that bar IMHO. Given the choice I would ride the Goose over the Harley, because I find it more comfortable, better wind protection and smoother.

It is funny. After reading this entire thread, the only people that feel that they have to defend what they ride are the Harley people.
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #195
cb1313
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas
Oddometer: 41
Yamaha Venture

Take a good look at what you get with bike. Cb
cb1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014