Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #16
DRconvertible
Lurking in SoCal

Oddometer: 256
I was in the same position a year ago--coming off a DL1000 and replacing it with a dedicated touring rig. In the end I bought a Voyager 1700 and while it's worked out good for me, I did have to spend some $$ and six months making it proper for my size and it's intended purpose.

A cruiser-based tourer will take some getting used to. While the riding position isn't a full feet forward set-up, it is a kind of mid-forward, which is different than the Strom and different than the Goldwing. It will take a few thousand miles to get completely adapted, but once you do, it's fine.

I did not buy the Goldwing because it felt cramped and might have become boring. I was concerned that I'd move on from it after a year or so, so I looked further and considered some other cruiser-based tourers.

DRconvertible screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 09:33 PM
DRconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #17
The PacRat
I'm that other guy

Oddometer: 2,629
Kawasaki Vaquero? (nice)

Old 05-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #18
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,524
Ive tested the Gold Wing, and the GT/GTL, bang for the buck, pick up an 09 BWMLT and ride it like you stole it.

My 03 has 75K and I still love to ride the sh*t out of her.
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #19
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Only thing I have to say if you go with a HD Tourer I would look at an 09 or newer when they did improvements to the frame. Having rode older HD's the 09+ is a big improvement that fits my riding style. I'm biased I have a 11 Electra Glide Ultra Limited and before that I had a 09 Road King that I put 62k miles both have exceeded my expectations and I never thought I would own a Harley.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 96k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #20
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
Gold Wing. The standard by which all others are measured. If I was going to ride a pig, I wouldn't bother looking at anything else.

This............ and to see how this thing handles, there is a post on the awesome folder where one is tearing up the dragon.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:40 AM   #21
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Thanks for all the feedback. Right now I'd be happy with either bike. I'm on a 7 day tour of Florida and I can't get 200 miles out of the Strom without being sore as all hell. I know on the stromtroopers forum people talk about 10 hour rides in comfort. I'm definitely jealous. I don't know what it is but I just can't comfortable on this bike. I'm on my 3rd one so I feel like I've given it a fair shot. It's a great day to day commuter but definitely not a mile muncher for me.

Even though in my mind I see myself more on a goldwing. I think I might be more comfortable on the Rk or EG. I had a Honda silverwing for a while and other than feeling a little awkward I found the feet forward position very comfortable. I'll probably stop in a Harley shop on this trip. We are probably going to pass 100 of them.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #22
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
..... We are probably going to pass 100 of them.

That's a big advantage for owning a Harley Davidson in the United States. Dealer presence is unmatched.

Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #23
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,924
May not be what you're looking for, but when I think of touring I think of the old Connie.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #24
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
I've owned a slew of dual sports and my current rides are a DL650 and Dl1000. I've done every mod possible to both these bikes and I can never ride either for more than a few hours without my neck and back becoming very sore. I've toyed with the idea of getting an 1150gs, but how much better of a tourer would it be than the Strom. I just can't imagine it would be a night and day difference.

I have an 1150GS with an ADV tank and russell day long saddle. I've done quite a few 600 and 750 mile days and a couple pushing 1000 miles. I've been very comfortable. In fact, I sold a DL650 to buy the GS for the same reasons you listed. The ADV tank blocks a little more wind and gives me a 400 mile range between fillups.
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #25
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Very surprised. Is the DL650 that much different than a 1000? I have a DL1K and it is like a freakin couch going down the road. Only the second stock seat that I have never had any thoughts bout changing (first was a Ducati ST4S).

There is so much leg room that I feel like I am half way between standing and sitting, and the seat is nicely shaped. Bars land just where you'd expect for sitting totally upright. I am only 5'8" and 160# though, so maybe that is why. I have certainly gone 10 hrs with no ergonomic discomforts. Only some wind management niggles.
pjensen641 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #26
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,924
And if I wanted to be real comfy and didn't care what my buddies thought of me I'd look into getting a Burgerking 650 ABS.

I saw a guy riding one on my way into work today. Looked like a real motorcycle from behind.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #27
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 804
I did my first longer tour on a DL1000 and while it worked fine wasn't what I wanted for that duty.

Moved to an Ultra Limited in 2011 and haven't regretted it for a minute.
Great bike for big miles and super comfortable and my black Stich Darien goes with any color bike. With a seat, highway pegs and windshield change I'm totally set.

Goldwing would have worked too but they'd just rolled out the new model and there weren't any ABS models available locally. I also felt a tad cramped on my test ride but I am sure that could have been sorted out.
Also had a passing thought regarding the new (at the time) BMW 1600 but there was a waiting list and my wife didn't like the passenger seat position compared to the other options.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #28
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
Gold Wing. The standard by which all others are measured. If I was going to ride a pig, I wouldn't bother looking at anything else.
If a Wing will fit, then it is the clear choice. Not perfect, but plenty close.
I have spent way too many riding hours sitting with my HD friends while they wait on a tow, so kinda turned off on HD, especially knowing all the $$ these guys spend on maintenance and do it like clockwork.
BMW, well mixed reviews on the 1600. Too new and it is a BMW for better or worse.
Kawasaki? They violated the Voyager name, IMHO.
Yamaha Star? Well the Venture is a solid offering. Old school for these days,In bad need of a facelift, a bit piggish in a parking lot (easy and cheap enough to eliminate most of it), but it is still solid.

Cheers
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #29
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
I'm also a DL1000 and Harley Touring rider. In fairness, I was a Harley rider before getting the DL1000 to bring an Adv Touring motorcycle into the garage next to the big Harley. The DL1000 now has a new home, and the Harley and I are still out seeing the country.

The DL1000 is a nice motorcycle, but I couldn't go a 100 miles without having to stop and walk around a while. A 500 mile day would make me cry. I tried many different things to make it work: Peg lowers, highway pegs, two different seats, an AirHawk cushion, handle bar adjustments and risers. Nothing made it right for me. I was planning to ride it to Alaska, and needed to be able to log several long days to get there and back, and it was not going to happen. And like you I was frustrated because others can and do ride them far, but it wasn't to be for me.

The Harley and I have logged a few 1000 mile days, and have the certificate. Have ridden it to Maine, and southern CA, to Washington State and Key West. And have seen 44 of the states in-between on this Harley. Have stopped because I needed fuel, because it was dark in deer country, because I was at my destination, because I was hungry or because there was ice cream, because I was sleepy, once I even stopped because of a snow storm. But never once did I stop on this Harley because I was uncomfortable and needed a break from the motorcycle. Not once. That's a big claim, but I mean it 100% sincerely.

I think you will find similar ergos on the Wing as you do the Strom. They are lovely motorcycles, and the turbine-smooth engine is impressive on the Wing, but what's the point of buying one of the most expensive motorcycles if it makes you uncomfortable?
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #30
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
Being on limited budget, I have a GL1200 Goldwing as my distance bike. Have rented EG and GL1800.

It comes down to:

GL1800: no leg room.
EG: too hot.

Keeping GL1200.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote