Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #31
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
How do the big touring bikes handle the wind? I find myself being blown all over the interstate on windy days, and the blast from passing 18 wheelers is no fun either. I try to avoid the slab when I can but for most trips is a necessary evil. The Strom is an improvement over the klr, but I'd still prefer something a big more planted in the slab.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #32
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,857
Wind is a non event on any of the big tourers that I've been on. The best has been a Road King mostly due to no rear trunk. But the Ultra Classic is almost as good.

Any differences you find wouldn't be big enough to choose one bike over another on this trait alone.

PS...There is one issue I remembered. Rode the Ultra across Nevada into a brutal headwind and got 24mpg. Ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere. Totally my fault for pushing it and not keeping an eye on my fuel level. However the bike coped with the wind just fine, no stability issues at all.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #33
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Wind? Hmm, I should have included my current ride. Victory Cross Country Tour, the most stable neutral motorcycle I have ever thrown a leg across. The Vision is also very stable, like the Wing. I like the XCT better, but we have different needs and taste. EG Ultra, well it is ok IMHO.

My choice would go XCT, Wing-Vision, Venture, Ultra. I haven't ridden the BMW, the Voyager is just so so for me.

I guess I don't consider the Victory a Luxury Tourer, but should. They are making waves and doing pretty well at it.

Cheers
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #34
scotty918
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwanderer View Post
Wind? Hmm, I should have included my current ride. Victory Cross Country Tour, the most stable neutral motorcycle I have ever thrown a leg across. The Vision is also very stable, like the Wing. I like the XCT better, but we have different needs and taste. EG Ultra, well it is ok IMHO.

My choice would go XCT, Wing-Vision, Venture, Ultra. I haven't ridden the BMW, the Voyager is just so so for me.

I guess I don't consider the Victory a Luxury Tourer, but should. They are making waves and doing pretty well at it.

Cheers
I'm going to second what this guy said. I ended up with a Wing, but I was damned impressed with the XCT (after a test drive). The Vision deserves a hard look as well... The Wing is actually my wife's, I just drive it.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #35
Argus16
Fake n00b

Oddometer: 420
On the sporty side of rides what about a Honda St1300 or a Kawasaki Concours.
Would be a nice transition from dualsport/big trailee to a tourer.
Easy to sell after too...
Argus16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #36
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
I'd probably go with a wing, had an 04 for 7 years and never did anything but tires and oil changes and 2 batteries. But there isnt a bad choice today, though I'm partial to having a reverse gear on a big bike. It

The goldwing never cared if you were running thru the desert on a 100º day or sitting in bumper to bumper traffic on the same day. Had maybe 125 mph top end, it would do 117 two up for as long as you want to hold it there. Not that I ever held it there very long, but I did make a fast run from Terlingua to Alpine.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #37
leakypetcock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Triumph Trophy 1200.
New and hot.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #38
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,352
+1 on giving the Victory Cross Country, and Vision a look if you are seriously considering a Harley. That being said, if you fit comfortably on a Wing, the HD will probably fit you just fine as well. At 6'4" 330lbs I'd take the Vics in a heartbeat over the other two.

Best 700+ mile a day bike I've ever owned was a R1200GS. The new Triumph Explorer I test rode with an aftermarket seat would probably be just as good, if not better. I haven't had a chance to see the new GS offerings as yet.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #39
scotty918
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
+1 on giving the Victory Cross Country, and Vision a look if you are seriously considering a Harley. That being said, if you fit comfortably on a Wing, the HD will probably fit you just fine as well. At 6'4" 330lbs I'd take the Vics in a heartbeat over the other two.

Best 700+ mile a day bike I've ever owned was a R1200GS. The new Triumph Explorer I test rode with an aftermarket seat would probably be just as good, if not better. I haven't had a chance to see the new GS offerings as yet.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.
I'm glad you brought up height. I'm 6' and the Wing fits me like a glove. However, if I were 2 or more inches taller, I'd get Vision or XCT no questions asked.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #40
MHaz01
I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer: 220
I have owned a HD, a GL1800, and now a K1200LT. I've also spent a good amount of time on the Victory Vision and CCT.

All are excellent touring bikes. The best one, however, is the one your pillion likes best.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #41
Charleston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
The wind gusts are what got me looking at the Electra Glide. Crossing a Charleston bridge in 45mph side gusts my BMW was using the whole lane even though I was keeping a light grip etc. 2 guys on Harley touring bikes passed me more or less dead straight. I went and looked at Harleys the next day. The weight down low must help a lot. Mine has the trunk which is a bit of a sail but still way better than my BMW that didn’t even have a top box.

And regarding fit, the Harley fit me better than Victory because I’m only 5’8” and Harleys are smaller (funny saying that). But the Victory Vision sure was a comfortable bike. I wish my Harley had the “positive neutral finder” that Victory uses in their transmission.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #42
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,248
Wait a minute...the EG weighs more than a Goldwing? How is that even possible? Harley says 911 pounds and I've weighed my Goldwing on a certified scale at 900 pounds even.

There is no excuse for a twin weighing more than 700 pounds, plus the Harley is just hideous in that model.

I can't even look at a Victory without thinking of Batman.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #43
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston View Post
The wind gusts are what got me looking at the Electra Glide. Crossing a Charleston bridge in 45mph side gusts my BMW was using the whole lane even though I was keeping a light grip etc. 2 guys on Harley touring bikes passed me more or less dead straight. I went and looked at Harleys the next day. The weight down low must help a lot. Mine has the trunk which is a bit of a sail but still way better than my BMW that didn’t even have a top box.

And regarding fit, the Harley fit me better than Victory because I’m only 5’8” and Harleys are smaller (funny saying that). But the Victory Vision sure was a comfortable bike. I wish my Harley had the “positive neutral finder” that Victory uses in their transmission.

I think HD touring bikes handle the wind well -- esp. side winds -- is because they do have the mass down low, and the wheels seem very heavy. Bad in many cases, good in some. Plus, there's less tupperwear to catch a side wind.

I rode thru SD in a fast one day in perpetual 40 mph sidewind on my road glide. Leaned like a clipper ship, but the bike tracked straight as an arrow.

As to heavier than a GW? Motorcyclist says EG is 846 lbs, wet.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #44
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post

As to heavier than a GW? Motorcyclist says EG is 846 lbs, wet.

Cakeeater

Harley says it's 911, just looked. EG Ultra something with equal doo dads to the GW.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #45
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Of those two, I'd go with a Harley. But that's me, doesn't it's right for you. I like them both, but with the Wings they peaked at the 1200 for me. The later ones are just way too big for smurf like me. I can easily make a Harley fit me. And, I do like the po-ta-to thump of the exhaust. Both/either are fine machines. As are some others, by all means try them on for size.

One thing the Wing has that I wish the Harley came with standard, reverse. Trying to shove 800 lbs backwards while sitting on it is an exercise in futility. One can add reverse to a Harley, but the price starts at about $1,400 for the parts alone.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote