Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #46
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I don't know what anyone elses definition of a touring bike is, but after reading the above replys, we tour differently. As far as I know there are only two touring bikes on the market. One starts with BMW K1600LT and the other starts with an H and it is not Harley but Honda, as in the GL1800! They are the only two bikes that I know of that offer a silky smooth engine, excellent weather protection, cruise, sound system and enough comfort for repeated 800+ mile days. Sure others may do some things nearly as well, but no other bikes do it all as well.
For those that cry that the Wing is a pig, you are talking about the GL1500, because the GL1800 changed all that. The 1800 can really be hustled down any road far faster than it should be able to. I have never heard that the K series Beemers didn't handle well and both bikes have serious touring range on a tank of gas, unlike others mentioned. Don't get me wrong. I like alot of the bikes mentioned and you can tour on them in a pinch. But there are only two touring bikes made BMW K1600LT and Honda GL1800. I rode all over the country on lesser bikes and now have the Big Wing, it does make a difference.
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #47
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
Having rented both GL1800 and EG I can say there are some things I prefer on the EG -

riding position is much better for tall riders without the big six in the way of your feet.
wind protection is much better for tall riders. The GL blocks SO much wind that what you get is very turbulent. The EG lets more wind hit you but it's nice and smooth flow.

If I had to go a long way across country I would probably prefer the EG.
If I had to OWN one it would be a tossup, the performance/handling of the GL is superior but I'm less comfortable on it.

Bought a Russell for my GL1200 this winter, looking forwards to spending a few weeks on that bike in northern Michigan this summer.
MacNoob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #48
Kelvininin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
If you want the most comfortable 1000 mile/day touring bike, with the least amount of maintenance, and excellent reliability, take a real hard look at the Victory Vision.

Having had a GW1200, considering the GW1800, when I heard about the Vision. I have never been impressed with HD or BMW's offerings.

The Vision is hands down, the most comfortable stock, best bike I have ever owned. 1000 mile days are nothing on this bike.

I have only demoed a XCT, it was a nice bike it its doesn't have the completely open ergos and fixed fairing with power windshield the Vision has.
Kelvininin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #49
Charleston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
How do the big touring bikes handle the wind? I find myself being blown all over the interstate on windy days, and the blast from passing 18 wheelers is no fun either. I try to avoid the slab when I can but for most trips is a necessary evil. The Strom is an improvement over the klr, but I'd still prefer something a big more planted in the slab.
Another thought about wind. I have heard some say that frame mounted fairing bikes are better in a cross wind. But I have also heard that fork mounted fairings in front of the steering axis actually countersteer with wind gusts keeping the bike straight. My Electra Glide is fork mounted and works fine in cross wind and I don’t feel the handlebars move from the wind. It seems that the top box is the sail.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #50
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,453
One thing none of us experts thought to consider is the type of riding you plan on doing. Luxury touring is a wide category- you need to narrow it down a bit.

If you are looking for a highway queen and short days, a Harley is perfect for you.

If you are looking for long days on the highway and some backroads with beautiful sweepers mixed, a Wing is perfect.

If you are looking for long days, backroads and lots of twisties, Beemer is awesome!

Two up - Harley and Wing over a Beemer.

Are you handy? Can you do your own maintenance or are you willing to learn? Beemer is for you.

Are you a total spaz with mechanics and need a strong dealer network just in case- Harley.

Never want to worry- 'Wing!

Not bashing one or another brand. Just trying to see what the OP's opinion on riding a "lux tourer".

Hope this helps!
RonkoRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #51
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI LT Owner View Post
Are you a total spaz with mechanics and need a strong dealer network just in case- Harley.
A stong dealer network is a plus but seriously, the routine maintenance on a modern Harley is so easy, well even a caveman could do it.

No valve adjustments ever, no chain or final drive, belt rarely if ever needs adjustment and lasts 50K+ miles, no throttle bodies to sync, tires last 10-15K miles...5K service intervals which are really nothing more than oil changes. Air filter and spark plus are accessed in seconds, nothing really to remove. Primary fluid changed every 10K miles and Tranny fluid every 20K miles.

I doubt there are any other bikes in the luxury touring class that are any easier as far as routine service than an HD and possbily a Victory.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #52
timspong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
I vote a HD big bagger. I would get one in a heart beat if I had the dosh.
timspong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #53
BobB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I have a DL650A and have had '09 and '06 Harley 'Glides. I did a 450 mile day on the strom two days ago, no problems at all. I do tend to walk around a bit every hour and a half or so. It is well equipped, rox risers, sargent seat, madstad/cee bailey, vesel hiway pegs, superbrace, rostra cruise control, ricks peg lowering brackets, and grip puppies. I could still use a better seat though.
I used to do 700+ mile days on the Harley, which was no problem at all, nor was a 5000 mile in under 10 day trip either. Set the cruise, crank the satellite radio and off you go. Stock seat was great, just needed to add hiway pegs. The only thing that ever came close to bothering me was teeth and jaw vibrating (not sure why).
The Harley was may more stable in the wind and cruised effortlessly at anything under 90 or so. The Strom is now stable with the fork brace as long as the bags aren't loaded too heavy but boy does it feel like its working if you want to sustain >75mph.

I recently test drove a 1600 GTL and only have one thing to say - our speed limit is not near high enough here in the US
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #54
rockmurf
IBA #31100

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
A stong dealer network is a plus but seriously, the routine maintenance on a modern Harley is so easy, well even a caveman could do it.

No valve adjustments ever, no chain or final drive, belt rarely if ever needs adjustment and lasts 50K+ miles, no throttle bodies to sync, tires last 10-15K miles...5K service intervals which are really nothing more than oil changes. Air filter and spark plus are accessed in seconds, nothing really to remove. Primary fluid changed every 10K miles and Tranny fluid every 20K miles.

I doubt there are any other bikes in the luxury touring class that are any easier as far as routine service than an HD and possbily a Victory.
If the maintenance is so easy why do the dealers charge so much for it.
rockmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #55
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmurf View Post

Seriously?

They charge what people are willing to pay.

Sure, a lot of people don't do their own maintenance and pay the dealer to do it, doesn't mean it's technically difficult.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #56
Charleston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsi View Post
Stock seat was great, just needed to add hiway pegs. The only thing that ever came close to bothering me was teeth and jaw vibrating (not sure why).
Funny that you mention the teeth. When I first got my Electra Glide I thought that I made a big mistake. The turbulence off the windshield felt like I had a passenger continuously beating my helmet to the point that it made my teeth hurt. Now that I found a windshield that works for me I think that it’s the best bike for me.

I agree that the stock seat is great. Floorboards (and highway pegs) are a plus for long range comfort, I removed the heal shifter to have more room to move around.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #57
schwartzkm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmurf View Post
Because they can. They are, by a wide margin, the easiest bikes to maintain. If you can unscrew a drain plug and can determine how much to put back in which hole you can perform maintenance on a Harley or Victory. Victory is two drain holes easier than Harley to maintain and one drain hole if you own a sportster.
schwartzkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #58
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 973
The Victory Vision is a very capable touring bike.

It is also a great Adventure Touring bike.

Rollin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #59
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by timspong View Post
I vote a HD big bagger. I would get one in a heart beat if I had the dosh.
Me too.

Nothing really to contribute to this thread, but I want one of these:

police road king

I'd want an '09+ model for the new chassis.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #60
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI LT Owner View Post
One thing none of us experts thought to consider is the type of riding you plan on doing. Luxury touring is a wide category- you need to narrow it down a bit.

If you are looking for a highway queen and short days, a Harley is perfect for you.

If you are looking for long days on the highway and some backroads with beautiful sweepers mixed, a Wing is perfect.

If you are looking for long days, backroads and lots of twisties, Beemer is awesome!

Two up - Harley and Wing over a Beemer.

Are you handy? Can you do your own maintenance or are you willing to learn? Beemer is for you.

Never want to worry- 'Wing!

Not bashing one or another brand. Just trying to see what the OP's opinion on riding a "lux tourer".

Hope this helps!

I guess some personal info would be helpful. I ride to work pretty much every day. I use the bike in the weekends to run of my errands. Most weekends my wife and I will go for an all day trip on the bike. We have started with short overnight trips and some 4 day weekend camping trips. In fact right now I'm on a 9 day bike tour of Florida. Almost all the long distance trips will be two up, and we need room for all our camping gear.

As for maintenance I'll do the basics, oil, plugs, brake pads, brake line replacement and flushing , front and rear shock replacement. I do this stuff because I'm cheap and want it done on my schedule not when the shop can get to it. I'll bring it to the shop for a valve adjustment. I'd prefer to be riding so ease of maintenance and reliability are very important to me.

What I want is a bike that I can ride all day and be comfortable. My wife and I have the time and inclination to see the country via bike. I just don't have a bike that's comfortable enough for me to do it.

Oh and I'm 6ft and 270lbs with a 28" inseam.

And BMW touring bikes are out.. I've never liked them.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote