Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #76
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
I hope you don't mind me grabbing that photo. I saved it when I saw it posted a month or so ago, because it is so exactly what I want, when funds permit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeed View Post
Wait a minute...11 FLHP with Thunderheader. That's my bike at Barb's HD.

The Pollice Electraglide and Road King are definitely the best value in HD touring bikes. IF you are willing to do away with the police controls on the right bar you can adapt the factory cruise for a few hundred bucks.

The standard cop air ride (now shock/spring) seat is a bit of a stretch for my 30" inseam due to it's elevated position but it is an all-day seat. The Mustang passenger pillion is reputed to be female butt friendly by everyone who has gotten one (we haven't got one yet), even more so than the HD Sundowner two-up seat.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #77
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
What's an LT and Gl?

Thanks for all the feedback. Right now I'm thinking I'm going to rent an Electra glide and ride it up to Asheville for a four day weekend. That way I can try a bit of everything and see how it goes. I don't have a place that rents wings locally so that may have to wait until I go out to Phoenix. I do know that when I get back from this trip I'm going to put both my vstroms up for sale and get serious about finding a real touring bike. I'm giving myself a budget of 12k so I gotta see which bike gives me the most bike for that amount.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.

Domromer screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 07:10 PM
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #78
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
What's an LT and Gl?

Thanks for all the feedback. Right now I'm thinking I'm going to rent an Electra glide and ride it up to Asheville for a four day weekend. That way I can try a bit of everything and see how it goes. I don't have a place that rents wings locally so that may have to wait until I go out to Phoenix. I do know that when I get back from this trip I'm going to put both my vstroms up for sale and get serious about finding a real touring bike. I'm giving myself a budget of 12k so I gotta see which bike gives me the most bike for that amount.
Sounds like a plan....A buddy rented a Wing about 3 years ago from a dealer in Columbia just off I-26 and a few miles west of the I-26 /I-20 interchange. Might be an option for you.

I'm local and have a '12 Road Glide Custom with a few mods (Corbin close reach seat with narrow nose, Sweeper bars which put the grips 2" higher and 2" closer to the rider and 13" rear Ohlins) if you want to take it for a quick ride around the block.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #79
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
Ergonomically, both the LT and GL place you in the most comfortable position for riding distances on a motorcycle. There has been alot of research in this field.

Let me just say that I like old Harleys (Flat head, Knuckle, Pan and Shovel) because of what they were, not what they were trying to be. Rubber mounting is fine as long as the rubber is fitted right or is in good shape, but rubber starts drying out as soon as it is produced. Just get it in that smooth spot and put your hand on the air cleaner. If it is moving there is vibration going through that bike. You can balance a nickle on the 1800 wing and rev it up, the nickle will stay on edge. Try that with a Harley.

You are right, they don't have high frequency vibration (but neither does a in-line 6 or a flat 6) But a Harley does vibrate and any vibration is the enemy when riding distances. I have many friends that ride big distances and not so big on Harley's, but all Harley riders that I have seen(100's) have one thing in common when they ride distance, especially through the mid west where traffic commonly moves faster than 70mph. They look beat up at the end of the day, because they have been hammered all day by a V-twin traveling at true highway speeds. Rubber mounted or not!

I am not bashing Harley's because if you just want to go out and cruise around they are a hoot. But if you are traveling distances, there are much better bikes! Nothing said above is meant to offend anyone, but physics are physics!
Several others have already called you on your mistaken comments. One even called you on stating your opinion as fact, something I complimented you on not doing in an earlier post. So I won't pile on that. But your comment about rubber deteriorating as soon as it is made is likely factually accurate and pragmatically worthless. Following your thoughts on that, do you run metal tires like the old steam powered tractors did? After all, the rubber in your tires is deteriorating as soon as it is made.

As far as your comments about Harley Riders "being hammered at the end of a nice 700-1000 miles day on a Harley due to the v-twin at highway speeds", I'll show you again my comments in post 29 of this thread:

"The Harley and I have logged a few 1000 mile days, and have the certificate. Have ridden it to Maine, and southern CA, to Washington State and Key West. And have seen 44 of the states in-between on this Harley. Have stopped because I needed fuel, because it was dark in deer country, because I was at my destination, because I was hungry or because there was ice cream, because I was sleepy, once I even stopped because of a snow storm. But never once did I stop on this Harley because I was uncomfortable and needed a break from the motorcycle. Not once. That's a big claim, but I mean it 100% sincerely."

Many of those miles and hours were logged while completing the USA Four Corners Tour, on Interstates out west with speeds well in excess of 70 mph. Heck, in Utah the speed limit is 80, and west TX it's 85. The Four Corners Tour is a timed endurance run where you hit the furthest 4 corners of the continental United States within 21 days. I did it the long way, diagonally, over 12,000 miles. And on a Harley Touring Motorcycle no less. And it was wonderfully comfortable, all day long, day after day. And the past several years, IIRC, the most common motorcycle to complete the 4CT is Harley. And IIRC, the most common motorcycle to qualify for the IBA is Harley.

And just speaking for myself, I can't stand the ergonomics of a GL on my legs. (Haven't ridden an LT, but expect it to be similar.) If that position was the best ("physics are physics" you wrote) wonder why cars and trucks, especially the OTR trucks, don't incorporate that? Alright, maybe they are not the most progressive, but maybe they don't need to be. OTR truckers log miles and hours and days that make us LD motorcyclists look like wimps. And they do it in a sitting position that is much more like a Harley's than the GL's and the LT's.

I'm not saying your chosen motorcycles are bad. Just that your views on the Harley Touring motorcycles are mistaken, and your justification for those views is silly.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #80
monzaman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I feel like I have some valid input on this subject. I have owned 4 Harleys. 04 Electra glide standard, 06 Electra Glide Standard, 08 and 09 Road Glide. Also had an 08 Gl1800 (goldwing). Here is my take.
If you are the type that likes to run with a "crowd" for sure buy the Harley. If you like the sound and vibration of a V-twin...buy the Harley. They are very capable touring machines. Rode many trouble free miles. The 09 and later bikes are vastly improved in my opinion than the previous models. The Road Glide was my preference...not so much looks wise....much better in the wind and better (lighter) handling. Keep in mind the Harleys are not "fast" even with a few common mods like pipes, programmer, air filter, and cams.

If you want smooth, quiet, and somewhat sporty handling from an extremely comfortable bike buy the Goldwing. I loved mine. Excellent two up. I don't think anything can beat it in that department. Fuel mileage is acceptable. Electronics are a little dated but overall good. Suspension is good....great with some minor upgrades. Eats up the miles with no effort. Get off at the end of a 500 or 600 mile days feeling like you just started. Just don't expect to impress anyone revving it at the stop lights...lol!

Either route is a good one....pick your path and enjoy the miles to come.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #81
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
Several others have already called you on your mistaken comments. One even called you on stating your opinion as fact, something I complimented you on not doing in an earlier post. So I won't pile on that. But your comment about rubber deteriorating as soon as it is made is likely factually accurate and pragmatically worthless. Following your thoughts on that, do you run metal tires like the old steam powered tractors did? After all, the rubber in your tires is deteriorating as soon as it is made.

As far as your comments about Harley Riders "being hammered at the end of a nice 700-1000 miles day on a Harley due to the v-twin at highway speeds", I'll show you again my comments in post 29 of this thread:

"The Harley and I have logged a few 1000 mile days, and have the certificate. Have ridden it to Maine, and southern CA, to Washington State and Key West. And have seen 44 of the states in-between on this Harley. Have stopped because I needed fuel, because it was dark in deer country, because I was at my destination, because I was hungry or because there was ice cream, because I was sleepy, once I even stopped because of a snow storm. But never once did I stop on this Harley because I was uncomfortable and needed a break from the motorcycle. Not once. That's a big claim, but I mean it 100% sincerely."

Many of those miles and hours were logged while completing the USA Four Corners Tour, on Interstates out west with speeds well in excess of 70 mph. Heck, in Utah the speed limit is 80, and west TX it's 85. The Four Corners Tour is a timed endurance run where you hit the furthest 4 corners of the continental United States within 21 days. I did it the long way, diagonally, over 12,000 miles. And on a Harley Touring Motorcycle no less. And it was wonderfully comfortable, all day long, day after day. And the past several years, IIRC, the most common motorcycle to complete the 4CT is Harley. And IIRC, the most common motorcycle to qualify for the IBA is Harley.

And just speaking for myself, I can't stand the ergonomics of a GL on my legs. (Haven't ridden an LT, but expect it to be similar.) If that position was the best ("physics are physics" you wrote) wonder why cars and trucks, especially the OTR trucks, don't incorporate that? Alright, maybe they are not the most progressive, but maybe they don't need to be. OTR truckers log miles and hours and days that make us LD motorcyclists look like wimps. And they do it in a sitting position that is much more like a Harley's than the GL's and the LT's.

I'm not saying your chosen motorcycles are bad. Just that your views on the Harley Touring motorcycles are mistaken, and your justification for those views is silly.
Preach it!

Now, for background, I once rode a kz650 on a 1,000 mile day, some it shirtless, back in the day. I was 19.

Late last fall I rode my HD Road Glide from Napa Valley into eastern Wyo. in an easy day. Almost 1100 miles, and the only reason I stopped is because it was cold (below 40) and the mule deer were freaking me out...they were everywhere.

But at the end of the day, I checked into a motel room, had a glass of bourbon, and watched some tube. I felt fine. I got up the next morning and rode again..no pain, ready to go.

When I was 19 and fit as a fiddle I limped off my KZ and felt sick as a dog the next day.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #82
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,846
To clarify an LT means a BMW K1200LT and a GL is a Honda GoldWing
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #83
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,629
The Honda Goldwing is the ONLY luxury tourer on the market. Other Japanese bikes have come close, the original Kawasaki Voyager 1300 and Voyager XII, the original Yamaha Venture, and the Suzuki Cavalcade. The Goldwing is smooth as silk, has loads of power, and has tons of gadgets to play with if you get bored.

The Victory Vision and Harley Electra Glide should also be great touring bikes, if you like some vibration and a nice rumble from down below. The current Kawasaki Voyager, especially the Vaquero, and all the Yamaha Roadstar based models are nothing but blatant Harley ripoffs. No matter how good they might be as motorcycles, I would never consider riding one because of the obvious copycat styling. They did not have to look the way they do, and there is only one reason they do.

I'm anti BMW anyway, if you like them that's fine. But I don't think they make a "luxury" touring bike" They make a lot of "sport" touring bikes. To me that term is an oxymoron, I don't see how they can be both. Sport bikes and touring bikes are complete opposites. The big Goldwing handles well for what it is. It will never be a Ninja, nor should it be.

This is all opinion BTW.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #84
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Try a honda st 1300 if you can,loved the one i road.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:08 AM   #85
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
I'm giving myself a budget of 12k so I gotta see which bike gives me the most bike for that amount.
12K down?

I'm bored here on the rig in Saudi so did a quick cycle trader search. I did find an '09 Ultra for $12K, it only has 92,000 miles on it..

I had to go back to '05 to find a Wing close to $12K, with 49,000 miles on it.

When I said good luck, I meant it...

If you're an old school kinda guy that likes cassettes & carbs test ride one of these...

Yamaha Venture...can find them in excellent condition in your price range, my wife absolutely loved the pillion area as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:43 AM   #86
royal
Don't Follow

Oddometer: 621
Had a Honda ST 1300. Worst motorcycle I ever owned by a long shot. Heat on the legs was ungodly, unstable at anything faster than 60 MPH, I could go on but not the place. Suffice to say, not a Honda fan.

Back to the point, I had a BWM 1200LT and I currently have a 2012 Electra Glide Classic. To be fair, the LT and I logged quite a few trouble free miles. It was an extremely capable tourer and I thought quite comfortable. It does many things well. There were a few very minor things that bothered me, but they were very minor. In the end, I ended up trading it in on an RT because I wanted something a little lighter and more nimble. But I have to say the LT was a good experience for me.

I am now riding a 2012 Electra Glide. Currently have 7,500 miles on it. Honestly, this is the most fun I've had on a motorcycle since I was a kid. I smile every time I ride it. And after years of owning plastic motorcycles, it's nice to be on something that actually, you know, looks like a motorcycle. It is a fantastic tourer. Plenty of storage, stable, comfortable, music, floorboards, just extremely competent.

I heard someone say a long time ago that if you own a bike that when you park it and start walking away, you turn and look back at it just to get another look, you have the right bike. I've never done that with any of my previous bikes, but I find myself doing it every time with the Harley.

The bottom line is that this Harley has put the fun back in Motorcycling for me. I'm not brand loyal to anyone one brand. I'm not a "Harley" guy. I've owned Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, BMW and Harley. And with the exception of Honda, I wouldn't hesitate to own any of them again. But I have so little free time that I'm going to ride the one bike that gives me the most miles of smiles and right now, that bike is this Electra Glide.

And two weeks from this Friday, my kick stand will go up and me and this Electra Glide will be headed for Key West (And points in between). You'll be able to recognize me. I'll be the one smiling. And in the end, that's the most important part.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:01 AM   #87
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Curmudgeon View Post
If you can get to an Eagle Rider, they typically rent both big Harleys and 'Wings. I was always a sportbike guy, and currently have a big Adv bike (Aprilia). However, the current Road King is one of the best "all day comfortable" bikes out there - I rented one for a day and after 6 hours, neither my back nor butt were sore, I was really shocked. The Aprilia numbs my rear in about two hours most times. The riding poisition is dead neutral for normal-sized riders, and they're surprisingly agile at legal speeds.
+1. Been riding an RK since '09, incredibly comfortable and hauls a ton of stuff solo or two-up while still retaining its nimble handling. Lots of legroom compared to a wing. Added a heated seat and bars with more pullback, in hog heaven.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:47 AM   #88
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,098
Never considered any HD being a luxury tourer. The GW wins the luxury bike as it has the most comfort and convienences. The term luxury and HD in the same sentence is not right. The Lt would be a good option.

The big Yamaha is a fantastic motorcycle but loses in numerous areas competing with the Wing. The x-police bike shown earlier is to luxury touring as a panel van is to a sports sedan.

This thread is reminding me of the Sport tourer thread where HD owners are calling there sportsters and xr something or others sport tourers, because they tour and consider there bikes sporty.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:55 AM   #89
MHaz01
I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer: 206
If your budget is $12 grand, go to a BMW dealer and pick up a late model K1200LT. The prices are down because so many are being traded in for new K1600s.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:27 AM   #90
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Never considered any HD being a luxury tourer. The GW wins the luxury bike as it has the most comfort and convienences. The term luxury and HD in the same sentence is not right. The Lt would be a good option.

This thread is reminding me of the Sport tourer thread where HD owners are calling there sportsters and xr something or others sport tourers, because they tour and consider there bikes sporty.
Your post is reminding me of the ignorance that non-HD riders always seem to spout at the mention of Harley-Davidson. The Touring models come standard with lots of luxury features and can be optioned with loads of others. Just to name a few (some of which you won't find on a GW).

Heated seats and passenger backrest
Electronic cruise control
Harmon Kardon 4-way audio systems
Power luggage/ignition locks
LED headlight and auxiliary lights
Interior luggage lighting
Brembo ABS brakes
GPS navigation
Reverse gear
Self-canceling turn signals
Six speed transmission
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote