Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 04:44 AM   #91
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Never considered any HD being a luxury tourer. The GW wins the luxury bike as it has the most comfort and convienences. The term luxury and HD in the same sentence is not right.
What elements of comfort and convenience do you think the Gold Wing has that the ElectraGlide does not?
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:10 AM   #92
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Never considered any HD being a luxury tourer. The GW wins the luxury bike as it has the most comfort and convienences. The term luxury and HD in the same sentence is not right. The Lt would be a good option.

The big Yamaha is a fantastic motorcycle but loses in numerous areas competing with the Wing. The x-police bike shown earlier is to luxury touring as a panel van is to a sports sedan.

This thread is reminding me of the Sport tourer thread where HD owners are calling there sportsters and xr something or others sport tourers, because they tour and consider there bikes sporty.
Thank you Maggot12! It is just like the sport touring post.
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:24 AM   #93
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
What elements of comfort and convenience do you think the Gold Wing has that the ElectraGlide does not?
All of them....The Wing is better at absolutely everything....

Mind you, it was only a test ride, but I did ride both back to back on a combined twisty and a double highway for a couple hrs. I found the Electra Glide to be a big cruirser similar to the VStar I had at the time, but with a fairing, bags and a radio. It was a comfortable ride no doubt, but it shook like crazy at idle and I couldn't see in the mirrors, poor acceleration, same for braking. The back seat was very comfortable but the low trunk and it's angled backwards puts the passenger in an uncomfortable lean backwards.

The Wing is more refined in every area, you could hardly know it's running. Twist the throttle and the sound of Shania Twain from stock player got louder and louder.

Kinda like comparing a 20k Chevy Eqinox to a 80k Lexus LX. Both very capable but not the same, and given the HD is similarly priced to the standard reverse enabled GW, it doesn't make sense IMO to choose the Electra Glide, unless you just happen to like that koolaide.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #94
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,010
Quote:

Mind you, it was only a test ride, but I did ride both back to back on a combined twisty and a double highway for a couple hrs. I found the Electra Glide to be a big cruirser similar to the VStar I had at the time, but with a fairing, bags and a radio. It was a comfortable ride no doubt, but it shook like crazy at idle and I couldn't see in the mirrors, poor acceleration, same for braking. The back seat was very comfortable but the low trunk and it's angled backwards puts the passenger in an uncomfortable lean backwards.

The Wing is more refined in every area, you could hardly know it's running. Twist the throttle and the sound of Shania Twain from stock player got louder and louder.

Kinda like comparing a 20k Chevy Eqinox to a 80k Lexus LX. Both very capable but not the same, and given the HD is similarly priced to the standard reverse enabled GW, it doesn't make sense IMO to choose the Electra Glide, unless you just happen to like that koolaide.
Writing off HD's entire touring line up based on one test ride of an bog stock Ultra that didn't even have the stock King Tour Pak by the sound of it. Probably only had one test ride on the Wing as well seeing how you don't own one...

The Brembo brakes on my RK are very good as is the acceleration once I got rid of the EPA FI settings. Not as fast as a GW but far smoother everywhere except at idle and no problem cruising at 85 all day long with the mirrors clear as glass. More legroom and more luggage capacity than the GW as well...

twinrider screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 05:39 AM
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #95
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
Quote:

Mind you, it was only a test ride, but a decade or so ago I did ride both back to back on a combined twisty and a double highway for a couple hrs. I found the old beaterElectra Glide some guy owned to be a big cruirser similar to the VStar I had at the time, but with a fairing, bags and a radio. It was a comfortable ride no doubt, but it shook like crazy at idle and I couldn't see in the mirrorswhen I was sitting in the parking lot, poor acceleration, same for braking. The back seat was very comfortable but the low trunk that the owner had welded on and it's angled backwards puts the passenger in an uncomfortable lean backwards.

The Wing is more refined in every area, you could hardly know it's running. Twist the throttle and the sound of that new Country starShania Twain from stock player got louder and louder.

Just a few edits...

You should take a newer HD out.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #96
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
A few people have mentioned sport tourers. A few weeks ago I sat on a st1300, a concourse, and bmws direct competition to these bikes. They all felt like I was sitting on top of the bike instead of in it. I ruled them out for that reason.

As for the 12k budget I don't think I should have too many issues. I don't mind a bike with 50k on the clock. In fact in terms of the goldwing I'm also looking at the gl1500.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #97
BillR1150GS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
The GL1500 has a little more comfortable ride but not near the handling of the GL1800.

2000 R1150gs
2010 FXDC
2012 GL1800 Level 3
BillR1150GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #98
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
Just a few edits...

You should take a newer HD out.

Cakeeater
Nice try...

But i like to be able to see in the mirrors when stopped to help avoid a rear ender.

I won't be taking a newer HD out.. I'm extremely happy with my CBF1000.

Cheers,

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #99
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
Preach it!

Now, for background, I once rode a kz650 on a 1,000 mile day, some it shirtless, back in the day. I was 19.

Late last fall I rode my HD Road Glide from Napa Valley until it ran out of gas. Almost 11 miles, and the only reason I stopped is because my teeth shook out and the mule deer were freaking me out laughing so hard.

But at the end of the day, I checked into a motel room, got drunk to kill the pain from the ride, and watched some tube to try to forget that I had to ride it home. I felt like shooting myself for buying a Harley. I got up the next morning and rode again..no pain on the ride home because I had gotten 10 shots of Lydocain, ready to go pull the trigger now.

When I was 19 and smarter, I always felt fit as a fiddle after riding my KZ and especially the next day.

Cakeeater
There now it is fixed!
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #100
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
I've stated to friends that riding a Harley is like driving a Kenworth Truck, shifting is deliberate and slow, I don't flick it into a corner, theres nothing really hyper about riding it and it's less forgiving in many ways than other bikes I've rode but when ridden well it's a very capable bike. Not going to argue about which is a better bike, whatever anyone wants to ride it must be a good bike to them. I'm partial to Harley's because it's the bike that makes me smile whether riding it or just looking at it much like my 76 CB750F SOHC did.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 91k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #101
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR1150GS View Post
I'll offer my personal experiences and I'm sure someone will call me an idiot but here goes. I went from a 2004 GL1800 that I rode 67,000 miles to a 2011 Ultra Limited. I kept the Ultra for about 15 months and put 27,000 miles on it including riding from Alabama to Hyder AK. I'm now riding a 2012 GL1800 with only about 6ooo miles. Both the Wing and the Ultra are fine long distance rides and at least for me similar comfort. The Ultra has a better sound system which includes a very usable intercom with VOX. There were a couple of things I never got used to with the Ultra so I went back to a Wing. The thing that ultimately made be get rid of the Ultra was the very grabby front brake combined with severe nose dive. When turning into a parking place the front brake would grab and the nose dive and throw the bike off balance, not good with a 900 pound machine. By the way the Ultra weighs so much because it's mostly metal instead of plastic.
Your objective post is fair. Harley could use some improvements in their suspensions, and Wings have a novel anti-dive mechanism when braking.

But the part that puzzles me is: Why are you using the front brake when pulling into a parking place? Front brake at parking lot speeds, especially when the handle bars are turned, is a receipe to fall over on any motorcycle. The back brake is your friend in those situations.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #102
BillR1150GS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
But the part that puzzles me is: Why are you using the front brake when pulling into a parking place? Front brake at parking lot speeds, especially when the handle bars are turned, is a receipe to fall over on any motorcycle. The back brake is your friend in those situations.
It's a little hard to hold the back brake until the bike is completely stopped and then get your foot down around the floor board. I just never learned that technique and never have had that problem with a Wing.

2000 R1150gs
2010 FXDC
2012 GL1800 Level 3
BillR1150GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #103
satz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Depending on how big you want to go
the vstar 1300 tourer deluxe. 13k or so,
satz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #104
scotty918
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR1150GS View Post
It's a little hard to hold the back brake until the bike is completely stopped and then get your foot down around the floor board. I just never learned that technique and never have had that problem with a Wing.
I was thinking the same thing. These big bikes need both feet available when coming to a stop. Let me rephrase, I need both feet available. That said, I do try to go easy on the front brake even at slow speeds when the bike is turning.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #105
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty918 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. These big bikes need both feet available when coming to a stop. Let me rephrase, I need both feet available. That said, I do try to go easy on the front brake even at slow speeds when the bike is turning.

Yeah and stock HD touring forks have some dive.
Good thing I don't leave suspension stock on anything
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote