User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
alii1959 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Hey, is that a car...no, its an SUV!

Today, on the way home from work, I was stopped at a red light watching traffic and checking my six. Suddenly, I noticed a blue BMW barreling down on me from behind. It seemed to be going rather quickly. I wondered if it was going to be able to stop. Traffic ahead was not real heavy, but too heavy to run the light. I eased forward a bit. He kept coming. I eased forward some more. He kept coming.

Just as the vehicle impacted the bike I pulled forward a bit more to lessen the blow a bit.

My first thought was, "so thats what it feels like to be hit by a car..." Fortunately, I never place myself in the middle of the lane and was in the left wheel track. Thus, he hit the railing at the rear of my right saddlebag. Don't know how, but I didn't go down nor did I rocket into the traffic in front of me (I was the only one at the light at the time, well before the Bimmer showed up anyway).

I put the kickstand down. Took off my helmet. Yelled a few choice words at the idiot emerging from the SUV. It was a 23 y/o male. I am not sure what he was doing, but he wasn't paying attention. He was very polite. Profusely apologized and handed me his license and registration. I took pics. Called 911. He then set about rummaging around looking for his insurance information.

About that time a man in a truck pulled up and called the kid a few choice names too. He stated that the kid must be an idiot not to notice my Hi-Viz orange jacket and ugly yeller helmet. The kid then approached the truck and punched the guy in the face. Then he jumped in the BMW, back up rapidly, and bugged out.

The cops arrived shortly after that, took statements, asked a bunch of questions, and filed the report. They caught the kid not far away and were field testing him for sobriety.

As for me, I have a deep bruise on my right calf. Hands are a bit sore. Sore neck. Otherwise, I seem to be just fine.

My beloved RKC has a dented rail around the right saddlebag. Otherwise, she seems fine too. But, I am going to take her to the Harley store Friday to have her checked out.

Lessons: My habit of staying in one wheel track or the other at lights seems to be a sound strategy. If I hadn't been he would have hit me with more than a glancing blow. My habit of checking my six constantly gave me some time to use the "wiggle" room I had left myself.

I am fortunate that he managed a slight movement to the right and was slowing somewhat for the light or this probably would have been worse. I should have taken a picture of his car, before he got away. I left my bike too long in the street before moving it.

My constant reading motorcycle survival strategies, including this website, is paying dividends. I have learned to leave enough space to ease forward, if necessary without hitting the car in front or crossing into traffic. Had I been all the way forward, I would have been punted into the path of the traffic.

All I have to say to you all: keep an eye on your SIX. Be forever vigilant. Keep the rubber side down guys.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,275
We're going to need a follow-up on what happens to this asshat

Glad you're OK, could have been a LOT worse.

Gerg

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
Allucaneat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Always ride like you're invisible -even with a high viz jacket and "ugly yeller" helmet! Sounds like you did the right thing. Glad it wasn't worse!
Allucaneat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,946
Holy Shit! Man I'm glad you're ok. Is the guy in the pick up going to file an assault charge? Where abouts were you anyway?? Just in case I see the little bastard
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
alii1959 OP
Studly Adventurer

I was in Evans, Ga at the intersection of Washington & Gibbs roads. I think the guy in the pickup is going to press charges...not sure, I was still shaky when that discussion was being held. The cops were surprised I didn't go down and that I was going to ride it home. But, I figured I could limp it home if necessary.

I get the police report tomorrow, so we'll see what all happens as a result.

If the frame is bent the kid will be buying me a new one, or at least his insurance, if he has any, will do so.

I am having a few more sore spots show up as the day wears on, but that is to be expected, tylenol is my friend!!!

Absolutely, we are invisible! Even when I have the right-of-way I often slow due to the behaviors of others....I bees reel pareenoyd!!!

The other thought that crossed my mind: I am so glad I now ride a Harley...that big fat girl sure can take a hit. Had I been on the GSXR I am pretty sure the SUV would have hit my leg...not a saddlebag. I loved my sport bike, but in durability tests like this I think the edge has to go to the heavyweights. Not saying I don't want another sport bike, just a thought thats all.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #6
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,302
Hey cut the kid some slack. Do you know how hard it is to text and watch what's in front of you - even with an ugly yellow helmet?

Glad you're OK and thanks for reminding to pay attention to traffic coming from all directions - including behind.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:34 AM   #7
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerg View Post
we're going to need a follow-up on what happens to this asshat

glad you're ok, could have been a lot worse.

Gerg
+ 1
Old 05-29-2014, 05:14 AM   #8
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Glad you're ok. Were you first in line at the light?

Be careful with the dosages on that Tylenol, too much causes liver damage.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:16 AM   #9
jdbalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Hang on.

I need to get the lawn chair out, make some popcorn, grab an ice cold six pack of beer. This is going to be good.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:52 AM   #10
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Kudos for watching your 6. You did good without having much time to make your choices, and it's amazing how many options and calculations we are capable of in just a few seconds. Looking back, was there any other escape route to get completely out of his way? In other words, if it happened again, what(if anything) would you have done differently?
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #11
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,055
You need to buy pickup truck dude a few beers. Standing up for you like that. That is so cool. "Ugly yeller helmet" is fantastic. And getting assaulted in the process so the stupid kid is really toast? Priceless.

I changed my mind: he deserves a nice bottle good whatever-he-drinks!
Old 05-29-2014, 12:47 PM   #12
riverflow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Glad you made out well (considering) OP. I usually stay pretty on top of where traffic is ahead and behind me (and beside), but I think I might start leaving a bit more space at lights. At least a few bike lengths anyway.

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:59 PM   #13
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 553
Keep a close watch on your neck pain. Things like that tend to come back on you down the line. I'm familiar with neck pain.

It's good to hear it wasn't worse.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #14
alii1959 OP
Studly Adventurer

Well, I am not sure how many charges were actually brought. I only have the accident report. He may or may not have been charged for assault as well.

I sent the accident report to my insurance agent. The kid did have insurance, fortunately, but we'll see how hard this is to sort out.

My Big Girl has an appointment with the doctor, err dealer, tomorrow at 1300, to see if she is seriously damaged.

As for me a little wonky here and there, but only my calf is painful, like a moderate cramp. As far as neck stiffness is concerned, mine is always that way...so, hard to tell if it was the accident or just me being me.

Will talk to the insurance company tomorrow and see how things progress. Fortunately, the accident report did state that he was at fault. Cudos to the cops.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #15
GETTHUMPER2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89

Heh, I'm glad that this session of vehicular-intercourse did not turn out as bad as it well could have.

I credit your being a "pro-active " rider as being the difference between you being able to post about it, and a fellow inmate having to post a RIP thread.
Some years ago a fellow Ca.ABATE member was hit from behind while waiting at the light on a metered-freeway-on ramp, Got launched onto the freeway and was run over by the existing freeway traffic, He left behind a wife and a couple kids.
The girl who hit him was reported to be putting on her makeup and did not realize that there was a stop at the top of the on-ramp.
THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
GETTHUMPER2 is offline   Reply With Quote