User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
HowlOnWheels OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Not sure if this'll count, but it sure hurt

I just moved cross country from Brooklyn to Denver, and due to the time of year, didn't really want to go riding across the plains. So, I shipped my bike with Federal. Everything went fine, the pickup, daily alerts on location, delivery to the storage location. It was at the storage location that things went a bit sideways for me.

The bike was shipped tied down to a wooden pallet. The guy at the facility pulled it out front with a fork lift, had me straddle the bike while he let the straps go. He's going to have me walk it backwards off the pallet. There's no ramp from the top of the pallet to the ground, just a 5 or six inch drop down to the floor. The front wheel is sort of chocked by the pallet, and he's going to push the front wheel back while I stand on the bike and walk it back off the pallet. I told him to go slow and to direct me back.

He didn't go slow, gave the bike a pretty solid push, I take one step back into an empty space on the pallet and start to fall to the left, taking the bike with me. I knew there was no way I'm going to stop this 500 lb bike from going down, so I tried to launch myself clear. Didn't quite make it, and my left lower leg landed on the 2x4 that makes the edge of the pallet structure. The bike landed on my leg.

I immediately started to holler for the guy to get the bike off my leg, which I was almost 100% was going to be a mangled, snapped mess. He just started at me for what felt like 5 seconds before he starts moving and lifts the bike enough for me to get clear.

I just kind of curled up on the ground and held my lower leg and foot for a few minutes, thinking I was going to throw up and feeling around for any protrusions or obvious signs of bad news. My toes went from numb to tingly to having feeling in them, I could move my foot up and down a bit, and nothing was clicking or feeling really really bad, so I didn't think anything was broken. I took about ten minutes to sit on a chair and drink some water before I felt good enough to leave.

Two days later, still having pain in my knee, lower leg, and top of my foot. Pretty sure I hyper extended my foot downwards, and I feel like I damaged some connective tissue, but luckily nothing appears to be broken, and the bike is just fine, probably because it landed on something pretty soft (me).

Not mad at the dude at the facility, I should have either insisted that they remove the bike from the pallet without my assistance (I'd assume that's part of what I paid for), or been significantly more insistent that he pay attention to my directions. I could also have been more aware of the holes in the pallet.

Anyway, I'd say it's probably mostly my fault. Glad it wasn't worse. A broken leg would have been a really crappy way to start my time in Denver.
1973 CB500 Four (Sold)
2015 HD Street 750
HowlOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
wvshoem
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Welcome to Denver. Sorry it got off to a rough start. It is supposed to be in the early 60's around here Saturday. Hope you're feeling well enough to get out and ride in the nice weather.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:24 PM   #3
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
I did essentially the same thing when I backed my 950 down the ramp of my enclosed trailer. I learned to stand beside it while backing it down, not straddle it. I'm too short for that. Hope everything is OK.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:57 PM   #4
DougFromKentucky
Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer: 434
I feel for you for sure. Injured myself back some years ago while backing my bike that I had at the time off of a motorcycle trailer. Never backed a bike again while straddling it. I always walk beside when backing a bike down a ramp now.

It sucks to get hurt. I am glad you came out as okay as you did.

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:02 PM   #5
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlOnWheels View Post
I just moved cross country from Brooklyn to Denver, and due to the time of year, didn't really want to go riding across the plains. So, I shipped my bike with Federal. Everything went fine, the pickup, daily alerts on location, delivery to the storage location. It was at the storage location that things went a bit sideways for me.

The bike was shipped tied down to a wooden pallet. The guy at the facility pulled it out front with a fork lift, had me straddle the bike while he let the straps go. He's going to have me walk it backwards off the pallet. There's no ramp from the top of the pallet to the ground, just a 5 or six inch drop down to the floor. The front wheel is sort of chocked by the pallet, and he's going to push the front wheel back while I stand on the bike and walk it back off the pallet. I told him to go slow and to direct me back.

He didn't go slow, gave the bike a pretty solid push, I take one step back into an empty space on the pallet and start to fall to the left, taking the bike with me. I knew there was no way I'm going to stop this 500 lb bike from going down, so I tried to launch myself clear. Didn't quite make it, and my left lower leg landed on the 2x4 that makes the edge of the pallet structure. The bike landed on my leg.

I immediately started to holler for the guy to get the bike off my leg, which I was almost 100% was going to be a mangled, snapped mess. He just started at me for what felt like 5 seconds before he starts moving and lifts the bike enough for me to get clear.

I just kind of curled up on the ground and held my lower leg and foot for a few minutes, thinking I was going to throw up and feeling around for any protrusions or obvious signs of bad news. My toes went from numb to tingly to having feeling in them, I could move my foot up and down a bit, and nothing was clicking or feeling really really bad, so I didn't think anything was broken. I took about ten minutes to sit on a chair and drink some water before I felt good enough to leave.

Two days later, still having pain in my knee, lower leg, and top of my foot. Pretty sure I hyper extended my foot downwards, and I feel like I damaged some connective tissue, but luckily nothing appears to be broken, and the bike is just fine, probably because it landed on something pretty soft (me).

Not mad at the dude at the facility, I should have either insisted that they remove the bike from the pallet without my assistance (I'd assume that's part of what I paid for), or been significantly more insistent that he pay attention to my directions. I could also have been more aware of the holes in the pallet.

Anyway, I'd say it's probably mostly my fault. Glad it wasn't worse. A broken leg would have been a really crappy way to start my time in Denver.
Welcome to your initial mountain adventure bike rider trainingGLAD YOUR OK AND HAVE A GREAT TIME WITH 14s
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:13 AM   #6
JettPilot
ADV Fanatic !!!

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlOnWheels View Post
I told him to go slow and to direct me back.

He didn't go slow, gave the bike a pretty solid push, I take one step back into an empty space on the pallet and start to fall to the left, taking the bike with me.
A lot of people are complete idiots... Don't give a shit about anything, don't have any attention span whatsoever, don't have the brainpower to be careful. Learn that lesson, and you will be much better off in life !!! This is true of people driving cars also, avoid traffic as much as possible... Don't rude around in the city a lot or to work, or you are likely to have a similar but worse experience.

Be careful who you accept help from, sometimes is better to just manage things yourself...

Mike
Old 02-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #7
Jarlaxle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,353
Go to a doctor and have your leg checked. Do this NOW. Bluntly: the idiot is responsible for your injury. This could be critical if you need surgery.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #8
HowlOnWheels OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
95% better

Just wanted to update, pretty much healed, bruising is all gone, just a bit of a sore bump, walking is fine, running is fine. And of course, bike is fine!
1973 CB500 Four (Sold)
2015 HD Street 750
HowlOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #9
Izzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
When I took delivery of my bike on a palette it was a hair raising experience that seemed like it cold have gone south at several points. They're supposed to be the experts, I think you WOULD be justified in blaming them. They're lucky you're not suing
Izzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:16 AM   #10
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 3,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
When I took delivery of my bike on a palette it was a hair raising experience that seemed like it cold have gone south at several points. They're supposed to be the experts, I think you WOULD be justified in blaming them. They're lucky you're not suing
Crikeys!!! If getting the job done is dodgy you don't have to go along with the plan! Stop the activity and see if there is a better way. Use your noggin because there are too many rich lawyers out there already.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:41 AM   #11
4wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,556
Having taken few bikes through that extended area where you cannot firmly reach the ground, I have taken to removing the seat, so that I have another 4-5" of leg reach. Or......Put down a board as a ramp, on each side, for your feet........Not the bike wheel.

I discovered this as an issue when loading a bike with a high seat (KLR) with too steep of a ramp. I didn't drop it, but I was about 1/2" from not reaching the ground. Not a good feeling.

Heal well, and quickly. Spring will be here before you know it, and you have moved to prime riding territory. Enjoy.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #12
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
Go to a doctor and have your leg checked. Do this NOW. Bluntly: the idiot is responsible for your injury. This could be critical if you need surgery.
THIS!

While reading your story, this was what I kept thinking. It's not your job to be more insistent. It is his to be more careful and listen. I did motorcycle deliveries and pickups for a dealer for a while and even on the rare occasion that I actually had someone help me the bike was STILL my responsibility. Usually, though, I did all the work, or had a coworker with me because having someone unfamiliar with how you do things can make the job more harrowing.
2005 Yamaha FZ6 (naked )(sold)
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote