User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2014, 11:23 PM   #1
MotoADHD OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Adventrue Bikes Don't Crash Well

31 days ago I was having the time of my life blasting up a winding gravel mountain pass on my F800gs. I was using the rear brake to back the bike in and the throttle to slide the rear end around and get the front wheel pointed up the road. Just prior to my crash, I was musing, "this is probably the closest I will ever get to experiencing what Marc Marquez feels". HAHA! It felt great, right up until the moment of impact.

Stupid fucker that I was, I managed to lock the front brake (abs off), with the power on exiting an uphill left, (yes, I did say stupid fucker) instantly overwhelming the front tire and I went down hard! I was 22 miles from the nearest paved road and alone with what turned out to be a broken clavicle and two broken ribs on my left side. I did the tuna in the road for a bit, caught my breath, stood up, went back to my bike and hit the kill switch. I rested, all sweaty and feeling like I was going to puke. I knew I had to right that 470 pound beast or I was screwed. The pain was setting in and I told myself to do it now, as the window of opportunity was closing. To my surprise, I was able to do it without too much drama using the leg lift technique I learned at Rawhyde, but I did hear and feel things moving around in my shoulder. I had a emergency American Spirit stashed under my seat and lit it up and sucked in all it's nicotine goodness. Once a junkie, always a junkie.

My bike was not looking too good. The handle bars were bent and cocked 15 degrees to the right at the risers. My subframe was both pushed over to the right and twisted down to the left. My Altrider crash bars (upper and lower) did there job, but the force of the smack down busted my radiator loose. My TT windscreen, all the fairing panels on the left side and my Akrapovic sport muffler were all rashed to hell. Thank God for the crash bars, or I would have been praying for a signal and making a 911 call.

From there, I slowly picked my way down the mountain and made it back to the highway. Once on the pavement, the 50ish miles home were actually kind of OK, but I could not return the wave to my fellow riders. Made me feel bad, like I was a Harley dickhead. Which was really bad, as most of Harley guys waved. My wife was really pissed off when I got home. This was not the first time for this sort of thing. I guess I'm "irresponsible", "Selfish", "Stupid" etc., etc.

It's been a month, and I now I can tie my shoes and kinda sleep in my own bed, though I still prefer the recliner. I missed 5 days of work to Hydrocodone haze. I know I got off easy. I lost my best friend four years ago. He succumbed to injuries he sustained in an MC crash 8 years ago. He had a seizure while he was taking a piss, fell and his airway was blocked when his head got trapped between the toilet and the wall in his shitty little single wide trailer. If you can believe, he used to own a local Ducati dealership. I degrees...

I got my repair estimate today, $6,100. Had I been on my '04 WR450, I probably would have gotten away with a few fresh gouges on top of some old ones. The injuries to me would have been about the same. I'm going to have the bike repaired and brought back to showroom condition. Then I think I'm going to sell it. A local dealer has some '14 Ninja 1000's he's blowing out for 9k and I put down a deposit. While big "Adventure" bikes do work amazingly well in the dirt, God help you if you auger one in, cause your going to pay!

MotoADHD screwed with this post 09-24-2014 at 11:29 PM
MotoADHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:41 AM   #2
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 660
You're worried about crashing a big trailie and you are going to a litrebike?
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:59 AM   #3
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,211
i launched my adventure bike 50 feet into the woods, 10 feet high or more, at 50mph, and all it broke was a mirror stalk and my gopro(which wasnt recording). scratched the tail rack a little too i guess, but that doesnt count, and broke ribs dont count either....

my adv bike is a 690 ktm.
lightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:17 AM   #4
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,347
You can do a lot more damage going slower on a lighter bike, it all depends on how you land/fall and into what.

Its not really HARD to ride a big bike in the dirt, its just not very SMART.

I LIKE dirt riding because I can go nuts and not get a ticket (yet), so I just went small. I first tried a tw200, it goes through stuff very well, not much risk of falling/crashing, but I found it odd, so I got a 230 pound XT200 which has some suspension, and with the light weight, its easy to keep up in the nasty stuff.

"irresponsible", "Selfish", "Stupid"

I have heard that before....
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:48 AM   #5
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post

Its not really HARD to ride a big bike in the dirt alone, its just not very SMART.
Slight repair.

If you want to ride alone, dial it down. You can ride one of those in amazing places safely at a slower pace.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:57 AM   #6
obsidian16825
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
You're gonna get a hunh? Whaa?

DR 200, 250ish pounds, tips over nearly once a month. I pick it up and go on. Easy peasy.
Why give up off-road riding when you can make equipment and style adjustments and enjoy exploring the subtleties of more technical riding? That Ninja 1000 isn't going to handle the gravel or crash any better than the GS.
obsidian16825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:03 AM   #7
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
Do you not have insurance? I biffed a Strom a few years back that insurance totaled out. Cost me the $250 deductible.
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
You're worried about crashing a big trailie and you are going to a litrebike?
I'll bet he's planning to use his WR450 off road
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #9
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 851
Hmm. It seems there are a ton of dirt oriented crashes around here that involve some bad injuries - were talking broken bones, pins, surgery. Is it really that much safer than riding on the street? Really?
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #10
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,567
Yes, of course, you'll be much better off riding stupid on a 1000cc sport bike, they crash much better. Solid logic, good choice.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #11
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Yes, of course, you'll be much better off riding stupid on a 1000cc sport bike, they crash much better. Solid logic, good choice.
Against my better judgement, I'll respond to this.

He is still going to ride his WR in the dirt, and his stupid litre bike on the street.

I have a B12 for the street and WRR for the woods. I enjoy both.

Used to have a 650GS, but it's neither a woods bike not a street bike. Picking it up in the woods was about as much work as it was to pass a tractor trailer at 80MPH.

And while I crash regularly in the dirt (twice today) I haven't crashed on the street in 20 years.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:38 PM   #12
GBAUTO
Bambi Assassin

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoADHD View Post
To my surprise, I was able to do it without too much drama using the leg lift technique I learned at Rawhyde, but I did hear and feel things moving around in my shoulder.
Sorry to hear about your off. I managed to snap my l/h clavicle on July 5th while I was out on my KLX. Same dilemma after I endo'd after tagging a stump on a downhill section. I knew that my collarbone was fubar but I had to get out of there. Not a pleasant sensation listening to bones grinding but you grit your teeth and get it done.
Took about 2 months before the shoulder felt strong enough to venture back out on the KLX-atleast I have a matched set of clavicles now.

BTW-broken ribs take forever to heal up, just be thankful that you didn't puncture a lung(been there, done that, including the med-evac ride to Erlanger)
'03 SV1000S
GBAUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #13
malott442
Loud, yet refreshing

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoADHD View Post
I guess I'm "irresponsible", "Selfish", "Stupid" etc., etc.
If my wife said that shit to me, she would be my ex-wife.

That's no way to talk to your SO, doing something they love, that they knew about when they accepted your hand in marriage.

Life's too short to get shit on by the ones you surround yourself with.
malott442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:21 AM   #14
Mala Suerte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Sorry you took a spill man, that sucks. Based on your description of what you were doing, I don't suppose any bike is going to crash well.
Mala Suerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:02 AM   #15
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Glad you made it out all right. As to what the SO said: Yeah, taking on the risks of playing MC racer up a mountain by yourself is a bit selfish and irresponsible... Tell her to get over it. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mala Suerte View Post
Sorry you took a spill man, that sucks. Based on your description of what you were doing, I don't suppose any bike is going to crash well.
To some extent the motto "The bigger they are the harder they fall" applies. A lot of variables exist in any crash but the amount of energy that has to be absorbed by various parts of the bike in an given crash is completely dependent on weight of the bike. Heavier bikes do not crash as well as lighter ones, all other things being equal.