Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #76
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 272
Man, what pictures! Hope you're foot grows back quicker than a lizard tail. Ditto on your employer being a putz for dropping you like that; I'm sure you're headed to a better place. Looks like your GF situation is already as good as it can get.

I've just been spending the last couple of weeks checking out various riding boots online, trying to decide how much coverage to get vs. comfort once off the bike. I don't plan on doing any racing or anything. But now that I saw your injury combined with what you were wearing, I'm scratching my head and wondering what exactly to do.

Maybe Kryptonite socks are the answer...

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

1983 Honda XL250R 1971 Yamaha DT1E 250 Enduro
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #77
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
I've been meaning to learn how to wheelie. After seeing that I think I'll just stick to leaning in corners.
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #78
WYO George
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Good job on progressing well and staying positive. I had a similar experience back in 2007. I was riding my DRZ400 doing wheelies back and forth across the parking lot at work. I wasn't wearing motocross boots, but I was wearing tall leather work boots. (wolverine 8" steel toes) After about twenty trips across the parking lot I went sidways and landed hard. The force of the moving bike and stationary pavement with my foot in between had enough friction to literally rip the foot and boot in half. The foot ripped form behind my little toe around behind my heel

At first they thought amputation was in order, but the ended up piecing teh foot back together with one 8 hour surgery. The end result looks kinda like a foot and works kinda like a foot, but it's painful to run on and I can't stand barefoot on our hardwood floors without considerable pain due to the foot being a little twisted in it's repair. The biggest nuisance though is that I wear a size 10.5 medium on my left foot and a 11 wide on my right foot. Mostly I just buy 11 wide and let the left one fit a little loose, except on my running shoes and I buy two pairs to get the right fit.

Here's a pic from a month or so after the crash:

Keep healing up, follow the Doctor's orders and stay positive!

G
Old 11-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #79
Rex Nemo OP
horizon calling

Oddometer: 298
Yow man, I didn't even know that was a thing that could happen! Glad they saved your foot and you made it through.

I got my walking, just given by the doc, taken away by the physical therapist. I won't dress it up, that was tough on my morale.

The county hospital I'm at is overwhelmed and the departments don't always communicate well, so getting different directions from different departments isn't that strange. I had my first appointment at physical therapy, and she scrutinized my x-rays, tested my foot and ankle for pain and range of motion, and said, "well, I don't want to contraindicate what your surgeon said, but if this were my foot, I would only be doing partial weightbearing. That bone needs time to remodel strongly without being overwhelmed by your full body weight."

She was also concerned by the level of deviation in the second and third metatarsals, and will be consulting with another orthopedic surgeon on what to do about that. I'm to do better about keeping the foot iced and elevated to avoid chronic swelling and pain issues, too.

Gah. It was hard to hear and accept, but I am now crutching with 50% weight bearing for an hour or so daily, and using the peg leg otherwise. My knee scooter has gone to a buddy who just tore his achilles tendon in a non-bike injury.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #80
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Yea, manage the swelling Rex. I've always feared therapists being too aggressive on top of my accelerated resumption of activity and work but if the inflammation and swelling don't readily reduce with ice and elevation after an activity it has to be dialed back. At least with a bit of weight bearing you're demonstrating what's expected of the bone and hopefully it steps up the recovery. Anyway, caution from a therapist is worth heeding, you're just a last few days/weeks from roller skating.
psmcd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:01 AM   #81
motorrat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Hi there Rex!
as a PT i learned a lot from your postings!
Never seen a knee- scooter, or the peg-leg, but will point it out to our surgeon!

To return something, a piccie from my Sidi crossfire boot (this is the SM version but also the MX boot got it)

Metatarsal protection!, thick lump of alu where you needed it!
motorrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #82
Rex Nemo OP
horizon calling

The surgeon was fascinated with the peg-leg iWalkFree thing, too--he took photos and said he'd never seen one before, and would suggest it to his more athletic patients. It's not perfect, but it has made work and travel and having a bit of a life possible. The scooter was also a really nice mobility aid, though I did fall off of mine 3 times (learning cuve, painkillers, jumping it off curbs... :) )

I am definitely in the market for some Sidi Crossfires, but I need to get to the point of wearing shoes again before I can buy--not sure what shoe size my new modified left foot is going to be. Also, no boot is a panacea; my fabulous GF has managed to break BOTH her ankles (fibula breaks only, coming off her DR650) while wearing her pair of Sidi Crossfires.

I did 1.5 miles of 50% weightbearing crutching yesterday. Good exercise, but I can sure feel it today! Also doing ankle rotations, trying to curl my toes downward (the tendons are contracted and they have a long way to go), and doing my "grab the towel" exercise, in which I plant my heel on the floor and try to move a towel sideways and back by grabbing and sliding it with my toes.

Rex Nemo screwed with this post 11-04-2013 at 11:06 PM
Rex Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #83
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,429
glad you are healing ... was painful just reading this thread ... makes one think carefully what happens on get off's. convinced it's better to stay on your pegs... jump off and let your bike go down.

a local rider has pins inside his leg from a get off in South America .. he was wearing a good quality protective boot too.

_cy_ screwed with this post 11-03-2013 at 01:22 PM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #84
motorrat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Hiya Rex!

The progress you made is remarkable, but probably a long way from wearing whatever kind of MXboots, so maybe that picture is a bit premature in your case, but a lot of readers are scratching their head, reading about your small crash with big results.
Maybe they spend their money wisely.

I googled walk free and peg leg, came up with Capt. Hook, but can`t find a brand name, is there any info on the device itself?

For next season,
The Sidi`s got a replacable sole, maybe you can have a pair of them costumized to have more rocker built in, like the airboot you are wearing now.
Pivot pegs will also help a bit too,
motorrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #85
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,729
Rex, been sporadically following along. Nice to see you on two feet, even for a short time. I have have really enjoyed your writing, and hoping you get a full recovery soon. Love the shooting pix!

Oh and +1 on the Crossfires. My visa bill hurts a bit, but have read too many broken foot stories, to wear anything else off road. They've been under the bike a few times since I bought them, and was glad I had them.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #86
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,202
Glad to see you're healing up! I've been meaning to learn to wheelie on my dr350. It doesn't help seeing a friend ride it and pull a HUGE one no problem right in front of me. I had no idea it could wheelie that well before I saw someone else do it.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #87
Rex Nemo OP
horizon calling

Have fun with those wheelies, man, just keep your head, keep that foot over the rear brake, wear good boots, don't chop the throttle or turn the bars! The DR350 will come up just fine with a little practice. Ask me why I know...

I intend to get a set of Crossfires, but no boot can protect our fragile human bodies from all the crazy perturbations of physics we riders throw ourselves into. My awesome and supportive GF is, in part, such a good support because she knows exactly how it is to be in my place: she has a pair of Crossfire TAs that she's broken BOTH ankles while wearing (lowsiding a DR650 in sand and thick, floury dust over hardpan will do that). Nothing removes all risk.

I am continuing to do 50% weightbearing, assisted by crutches. What a workout! My greatest distance so far is 2 miles...I intend to wear that dang boot right out. Doing all the PT's suggested exercises, of course. I swear it hurts a little less than when I started. A little. Also, with partial weightbearing the foot is less swollen; my theory is that the pressure of part of my weight on the ground pumps blood and lymph through the foot more efficiently. Either way, less swelling is a lovely thing. I've recovered, according to the therapist, 1 degree of ankle flexibility in 2 weeks. It didn't sound like much, but she says it's significant; 5 degrees past neutral allows for a normal stride.

As for the pegleg thing, it is called an iWalkFree, and it looks as if they just came out with a new, cheaper model, making it more accessible to the average schmo like me. Wonder if it's as good or better than the original?

The scooter has been passed on to a friend of mine with a non-bike injury; he just tore his achilles tendon at work. Poor dude, he needs surgery to re-connect the thing. Rough year on feet and ankles!
Old 11-09-2013, 04:57 AM   #88
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,202

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #89
Rex Nemo OP
horizon calling

I have been continuing to struggle with the medical bureaucracy at Highland...on my last visit, one of the interns or admins lost my chart (yep, they still use paper charts). My chart ended up in the neurology department. I was forced to miss my physical therapy appointment while I sat and waited anxiously...and I didn't get seen for 6 hours. I was, as I have been several times, so frustrated I was near tears. When I did get seen, it was by some callow resident I'd never seen before. He looked at the X-rays, and stammered out (I'd have done the same, really) that he thought I should probably continue 50% weightbearing on crutches for another 3 weeks. Next visit? Dec. 18th.

As I get closer to well, the restlessness and the impatience take hold. I hold to the memory of the fact that this energy is a luxury.

Still, I got my PT moved, and asked her very specifically about swimming and other alternative forms of PT. She considered it, but said she'd prefer it if I waited; the bone has been non-weightbearing long enough that it is weakened and demineralized, and I need to build it up before moving on to more intense activity. She recently had a patient slip on the edge of a pool and re-break her healing ankle, and says that the edges of pools are a surprisingly high accident risk for folks like me who are recovering from injury.

I'll keep trucking along, doing isometric presses, ankle rotations, multidirectional pulls on the big rubber band, and toe-crunch exercises...and try not to chew my own foot off in the meantime.

I was also finding that wearing a bra and using crutches for miles do not mix...the skin on my armpits/sides was getting really torn up. No fun in the least. I ordered a cheap pair of forearm crutches, and have started experimenting with those in the last couple of days. They are more minimalist and less painful than the regular crutches, but have hard plastic grips that bruise the hands. I crutched my way to the hipster bicycle shop on Piedmont Ave. and got some padded bar grip tape, which is a mercy for sweaty, slippery, bruised hands. A toddler tugged on his mom's sleeve, pointed at me, and said, "Look, mommy, he's got OWIES!!!" yesterday. Not sure whether he meant the crutches or just the evidence of my gimpiness, but it cracked me up!

I've done at least 1.75-2 miles of crutching each of the last 3 days; my strength and endurance are certainly improving. I am realizing how spoiled I was by the pegleg, though, particularly in terms of the ability to carry things. Getting into doors, getting items off grocery-store shelves and carrying objects is waaaay more difficult with two hands occupied by crutch handles. But getting plenty of good, bone-remodeling partial weightbearing in is impossible with the pegleg, so crutches it is. Grocery shopping today with a backpack on foot was just stupid hard; I almost gave up and left, but I was hungry so I persevered.

One thing that has been strangely life affirming is the self-defense class that T and I have been teaching. Doing something intense, and physical, and hell, even teaching a class of 30 has been rewarding. I'm able to use T and my ukes pretty effectively as body doubles, and while I wish I could really get in there and fight, it's pretty awesome to be able to teach while gimpy.

I was also, at last, able to rent a car and go visit my good friend Holly for Thanksgiving. 2 years ago, riding my bike to Prudhoe Bay was an adventure--now, driving a car on well-paved roads by myself for 300 miles is as big as adventure gets. Still--so good to have Thanksgiving in the company of great food and superlative friends.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #90
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Nemo View Post

One thing that has been strangely life affirming is the self-defense class that T and I have been teaching. Doing something intense, and physical, and hell, even teaching a class of 30 has been rewarding. I'm able to use T and my ukes pretty effectively as body doubles, and while I wish I could really get in there and fight, it's pretty awesome to be able to teach while gimpy.
Glad you are getting better. Measure progress in weeks and months, not necessarily hours or days.

In the meanwhile:

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote