User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2014, 04:12 AM   #1
SR1 OP
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,325
A Ragtag Band of Explorers on the TAT... aka "whos' that guy?"

Many here at ADV already know me. For several years I've been "planning" to do the TAT. As a long term expat, that's a difficult thing to do. I only have a few riding buddies in the US, and because of that finding some groups to ride with has been difficult. Time again again partners have come and gone, commitments fell to the wayside, and things got in my way too. This is the year!

Even this year, I've had a few commitments from others fall out, but I finally connected with some guy and we're nearly ready to go!

I'm flying on Friday back to NC, where I'll have a crazy flurry of putting last things on the bike (my WR250R). New fuel pump, some electrics for charging things, new luggage racks, the list goes on and on. Then pack. Then meet the other guys in Tellico. But which other guys? I'll get to that in just a moment...

The last two months I've been doing P90x at least 5 times a week. Meal replacement shakes. I didn't want to go into this all soft. I may still be, but not as soft as before... not close.

Here's me in fat days. Thank god not like that now!!!

So, how many others, and who are they? Well, there's Sean (Sean, introduce yourself!) aka n2o2diver , JD, another Steve, and Clint aka Vetsquared , the guy I rode with in Korea before he re-stationed to South Dakota. He's joining us in OK. Kinda handy having him along too, he's a medical doctor. Ok, a dog doctor, but a doctor nonetheless.

Anyway, everything hinges on my mom. Seriously. Yes, I was, and am, planning to start the TAT in about 10 days. But first, I have an appointment with mom's oncologist. Things seemed to accelerate this year, and we all got super nervous. But she seems to be doing ok (though getting a bit weak) and she just had fresh scans made and lab work. I have an appointment with her doc on Wednesday. I think everything's a go, but if things are not looking good, I'm forfeiting my TAT trip. At this point I'd say we're about 90% a go, based on early info from the doc this morning. Nevertheless, (and I promise I'll only post this a few times...really) I started a gofundme page in honor of mom. THIS IS NOT FOR DONATIONS TO ME OR MOM! However, I do want to draw attention to cancer research and so does mom. I'm shaving my head tonight in honor of her (plus it will be easier on the TAT, right?) If anyone reading this wants to donate TO CANCER RESEARCH (and not me!) please go here: http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 You can read all about it there and see that the money goes to the Dr. Susan Love Cancer Research Organization. Ok, spam off for now, let's get back to the TAT!

Anyway. not a lot to say at this point besides I can't believe this is really happening. As I said, I have gone through several cycles of TAT prep over the years, and this time it's really going to happen. I'm actually a little nervous. A good dose of "what if something stupid happens, I've put so much work into this, I'd hate not to make it to Port Orford." Nothing ventured, nothing gained, I suppose, but I wonder how many of us feel that way? I was happy to hear that Sean felt the same today. I think we're gonna get along great...

Holy crap I hope I can remember how to ride! I stopped about a month ago out of superstition. Wouldn't it be terrible to have all this planning in and then some drunk taxi driver hit me and knock me out of the TAT? Anyway, enough chatting for now. I'll take a pic or two in the plane and the happenings in the bike shed next week.

CAN'T WAIT TO GET STARTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!

SR1 screwed with this post 07-31-2014 at 05:46 AM
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:38 AM   #2
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,934

Good luck to you and mom.....cancer has hit us all. Can't wait till you start either.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,454
Good luck on your trip and positive thoughts sent to "mom".
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,125

When are you headed to Tellico?
Old 07-31-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
n2o2diver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
We are leaving Tellico on Sunday Aug 10th
n2o2diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
SR1 OP
In Western NC

Blur.. Tellico night of the 9th....start the trail morning of the 10th.
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
Old 08-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,125
Thanks! Looking forward to following the adventure! :-)
Old 08-01-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
SR1, hope all works out with your Mom. I know from experience how challenging that can be, ever more so as an expat.

We traded emails about connecting for the trip, I am leaving two weeks behind you. Sounds like you have a good crew now and your dream will become real.

Have a blast, ride safe and strong, and enjoy every minute.

DH
Suzuki DRZ 400S
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #9
SR1 OP
In Western NC

Inevitable setbacks...day 1 complete...

I plan to use my jet lag time to work on the bike. So, just like I planned I was up at 3am this morning and turning wrenches.

One of the first things I'd planned to do was to replace my 2008 fuel pump with one from Cycleworks. Until I realized that I *might* break the pump housing just swapping it. A little more research online (too late) and I confirmed that. Dang. So, I found one on Amazon and it'll be here on Monday. Decided to work on electrics. I would like to move my FMF programmer to a more protected location, but also need to install an accessory wiring harness to charge the GPS, phone, and HAM radio. I got it roughed in at least...can't really do more than that until I'm finished with the fuel pump and can set the tank back in final location again.

So, I put the Wolfman racks on (switching from GL Coyote for a little more space) and got the SPOT and GPS mounts on...and a few other things. Tomorrow will probably be putting the bags on, starting to pack them, and other time consuming things while waiting for the fuel pump...

Also, why do parts stores hire nincompoops these days?! I called several shops in the area trying to get a new battery for the WR. A month ago I'd called (from Korea) and found batteries everywhere. Two days ago I called and everyone acted like I was crazy. Finally found someone who could order one, and she said "it comes charged." I asked "Really, are you sure? I don't want to come pick it up and it's dead." "Oh yes it comes charged" she said. I went over there today to pick it up...guess what... dead. Not even an apology from the crew there, even with a very young looking deer-in-the-headlights looking girl behind the counter when I said "the girl said it would be charged". I'm at least glad I had them check before I walked out with it.

Also, some great news, we got a $300 donation (to the cancer charity)!!! Fantastic!

Some pics:

Me on the way to Incheon airport...I shaved my head, mostly in support of mom (on chemo) and also so I don't have to get a haircut on the TAT. I don't really care for the look, but who cares! Korean lady in the background was sure I was up to no good...

And a pic from this morning, the bike is in an ugly state of affairs until I get that fuel pump...

Old 08-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #10
Molonlabemike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
im in...good luck SR1
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #11
R Doug
Recalculating

Oddometer: 310
Go Steve Go!
Old 08-05-2014, 12:23 AM   #12
SR1 OP
In Western NC

I keep waking up at 2am or so. Today, 3 am. I'll get back to sleep in an hour or so, but until then, I'll just work on SPOT device stuff and updating this RR.

Finally got the new fuel pump in yesterday. In the meantime I finished roughing in all but the Mondomoto light wiring. I still have that left to do.

I used a Powerlet Termin-8 for all the rest of the electronics, it's pretty good. At least I didn't have to find a place to put a fuse block. Unfortunately it really needs to have 6 termination points, not 4...I'm still short. Oh well, I can deal with that easily. I suppose if it had 6, someone would say it needed 8. Can't make everyone happy. Anyway, I decided to seal it up with liquid electrical tape. Wound up kinda gooping it in.... Well, it won't get wet in there, I think!!! Pics soon, you'll love the artistry!

I threw on some Walmart spray on undercoating onto the skidplate to keep the rock noise down. At first I was careful to mask everything, but by the last coat, either I got lazy (likely) or I felt I could watch the spray pattern well enough it didn't matter. Some overspray but who cares. I considered spraying the whole bike, but refrained.

I'll get you a SPOT URL shortly...
Old 08-05-2014, 12:41 AM   #13
SR1 OP
In Western NC

Alright, here's what I think is my SPOT tracker URL. I'll test it sometime today.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...VNiXseNe62fxKu

Old 08-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #14
07jkx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
link works... I think... say help message sent and then cancelled... everything ok?
07jkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #15
R Doug
Recalculating

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07jkx View Post
link works... I think... say help message sent and then cancelled... everything ok?
It was a test message to his "support" crew.

All is good (for now).