User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2015, 01:31 PM   #1
ehlersgrub OP
Gumby

Oddometer: 20
2015 GS engine stumbling

I put some accessories on my new 2015 GS and it is causing the engine to stumble and miss at low speeds with light engine load. I've done a lot of trouble shooting and it down this. With only a hot lead running from the positive battery post (not the convenience post) to the tail section with nothing connected the bike engine stumbles. Has anybody heard of this or know of a solution?
ehlersgrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 839
That doesn't sound like it should be the cause of engine issues. It's probably something else that's unrelated to your accessories.

I'd take a wider look at the bike. Think fuel, air, or spark. It's one of those three. My first though would be bad fuel 'cause that's easy.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:30 PM   #3
ehlersgrub OP
Gumby

Not bad fuel. This has been going on for over 2k milesand many different gas stations. I could post everything I have done but it would be about 2-3 pages. Bottom line is when just a hot lead is connected to the battery and nothing connected on the other end it stumbles. When I pull the fuse on the lead it goes away. Lead goes from the battery terminal to the rear tool compartment.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 54,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlersgrub View Post
Not bad fuel. This has been going on for over 2k milesand many different gas stations. I could post everything I have done but it would be about 2-3 pages. Bottom line is when just a hot lead is connected to the battery and nothing connected on the other end it stumbles. When I pull the fuse on the lead it goes away. Lead goes from the battery terminal to the rear tool compartment.
Why have you not had the dealer fix it under warranty?

Unless you accidentally disconnected a sensor, there is no reason accessories will hurt it.

Want to keep messing with it? Disconnect one accessory at a time until the problem goes away.
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #5
AlH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
So you have a wire to nothing that if disconnected the bike runs well?
AlH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:30 PM   #6
ehlersgrub OP
Gumby

To AIH: Yes
Old 06-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #7
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,335
I would have to think that your wire to nowhere has a leak in it somewhere.

Yea I know. But it could have a high resistance to ground and thus be causing the issue. I assume it is connected to an outlet or something under the seat?

you say you pull the fuse and then it works OK so something downstream of the fuse is the issue. Reroute it, Insulate it better, remount where it terminates.

Who knows.

Or am I just being stupid obvious.

Marc

Lomax screwed with this post 06-23-2015 at 04:52 PM
Lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:51 PM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
I would have to think that your wire to nowhere has a leak in it somewhere.

Yea I know. But it could have a high resistance to ground and thus be causing the issue. I assume it is connected to an outlet or something under the seat?

you say you pull the fuse and then it works OK so something downstream of the fuse is the issue. Reroute it, Insulate it better, remound where it terminates.

Who knows.

Marc
Exactly. You need to examine your accessories one at a time to figure out which circuit has the short causing the issue. I would do it before riding it with the issue or you could cause damage.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #9
bobbybob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
What are you powering with the wire? Could it generate RFI? Maybe it could interfere with some of the bikes electronics, i.e. fueling. And exactly where is this rear tool compartment?

Edit: are you able to disconnect/reconnect--while riding--the cable so you can verify its causing this?

bobbybob screwed with this post 06-23-2015 at 05:33 PM
bobbybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:26 AM   #10
ehlersgrub OP
Gumby

Hey guys. Read my first post. Nothing is attached to the wire. I have done everything you have suggested already including running new wires outside of the bike frame to get to this point.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:30 AM   #11
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlersgrub View Post
Hey guys. Read my first post. Nothing is attached to the wire. I have done everything you have suggested already including running new wires outside of the bike frame to get to this point.
Obviously we are not clear what you are talking about. If you disconnect one wire (that is not connected to anything) from the positive battery, and it runs fine, then obviously that wire is causing the problem. That makes no sense unless we are completely misunderstanding your cryptic descriptions.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:02 AM   #12
ehlersgrub OP
Gumby

I'll try to make a real long story short. After taking a number of accessories off my 2011 (which worked perfectly) and putting them on my new 2015 I started noticing this engine stumbling. After trying two different PDM60s (which I thought was the problem) and building my own power strip with circuit breakers, I began trouble shooting the entire individual accessory circuits. After many, many tests I am down to having just a terminated wire on the battery causing the problem. I have run new hot wires both inside and outside the frame area and the problem still persists. Also different ground wires at different locations but it is the hot wire. I am also currently in discussions with Chris Hixton of Rowe Electronics and Glenn with Clearwater Lights trying to help me sort this out even though they know the problem is not with their products. I am going to these adventure websites to see if anybody else has seen this problem. Hope this helps. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:26 AM   #13
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

So you have a single wire, attached to the positive battery cable, and nothing else. Attached that wire causes a stumble, unattached no stumble?

Did you try attaching it to the jump post? I have run both a PDM 60 and a Fuzeblock on several wetheads with no issues like this. To me, this makes zero sense as a single wire cannot cause an issue if it is hooked up to nothing.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:38 AM   #14
ehlersgrub OP
Gumby

Yes. Actually I started with the hot post and after awhile I thought it might be the problem. Yes this makes absolutely no sense at all. But believe me it is the truth. Another thing I mentioned to Chris and Glenn is I believe the problem has gotten worse since I first noticed it. The bike now stumbles at idle with everthing connected back up.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:23 AM   #15
Flying Tivo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
I can only suggest its either the battery or a loose connection to the battery. You might look closer to where you are attaching the cable as it may be grounding to a nearby metal.

Felipe