Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #136
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
Based on reports it doesn't seem water or temperature related. When my cruise refuses to go on I just manhandle the switch like crazy back and forth until it starts to behave, whether by coincidence or not.

I'm not sure if you'd see success opening the switch and spraying it up, but if its a total fail right now it might be worth a shot.
Are you not sure because you have tried it or you are just stating an unexperienced opinion ?

From your message It seems that you have not tried it as, and I quote you:

"When my cruise refuses to go on I just manhandle the switch like crazy back and forth until it starts to behave"

From your message I understand that your problem ( the bike's) is a recurring one and, apparently, it seems that your solution has, in fact, not solved anything.

Perhaps you should try the proposed solution.

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #137
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
Are you not sure because you have tried it or you are just stating an unexperienced opinion ?

From your message It seems that you have not tried it as, and I quote you:

"When my cruise refuses to go on I just manhandle the switch like crazy back and forth until it starts to behave"

From your message I understand that your problem ( the bike's) is a recurring one and, apparently, it seems that your solution has, in fact, not solved anything.

Perhaps you should try the proposed solution.

Andre
What??? I'll assume the attitude I infer is simply translation issues.

I haven't torn my switch apart because I don't have a total failure. I have intermittent cruise issues and my cruise turns off if the signal is used. I can live with that until the replacement comes in.

Another inmate reported taking the switch apart and liberally spraying WD40 on the parts, with a seeming fix.

I'm not tearing my switch apart unless things go really south. Otherwise I'll wait until they come in.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #138
treg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Seems a lot of switch problems on the new GSW. And everyone is reporting that BMW is replacing the switches. But are they changing them to fix the problem, or are they just sending the same switches so they can have the same problems? They need to be making changes to fix the problem.
treg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #139
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
What??? I'll assume the attitude I infer is simply translation issues.

I haven't torn my switch apart because I don't have a total failure. I have intermittent cruise issues and my cruise turns off if the signal is used. I can live with that until the replacement comes in.

Another inmate reported taking the switch apart and liberally spraying WD40 on the parts, with a seeming fix.

I'm not tearing my switch apart unless things go really south. Otherwise I'll wait until they come in.
There is no attitude and and certainly no translation issues, at least on my part.

The other inmate you mention is me and spraying WD 40 was not done liberally, quite the opposite.

I can understand and certainly respect your wish to do not take your switch apart, afterall, its your bike, your time, your risk. However, I don't understand why if you haven't tried nor have experience doing it, why you state, as in doubting, if one who tries it will succeed ? Thats just discouraging one to try what someone else did ( and succeeded) and proposes as a solution.

If you don't want to do it, fine. Just don't criticize between the lines, one's constructive suggestions and will to help others.

Best of luck to you,

Andre
Old 06-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #140
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
WD40 is a cleaner that also works as a light lubricant, it may also act as a drying agent. As a technician I can see no problems with a light coat of WD40.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #141
Chirozilla
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Left control cluster failure

[QUOTE=Chirozilla;21622618]Left control cluster failed at 3900 miles. Worked this morning on way to work but not o way home. Got wet Saturday night before this started and temps now in the 90's. replacement won't be in Germany till 6-19 and I leave for a ten day ride in the Smokey Mts the 28. I'm screwed!! Anyone know of a temporary fix for this problem ?

Mechanically all switches seem to be moving normally. No different than eight hours earlier when all was working fine. It appears to be electrical in nature. Doesn't seem like lubrication would help my issue. Any comments?
Chirozilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #142
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Chirozilla;21624711]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirozilla View Post
Left control cluster failed at 3900 miles. Worked this morning on way to work but not o way home. Got wet Saturday night before this started and temps now in the 90's. replacement won't be in Germany till 6-19 and I leave for a ten day ride in the Smokey Mts the 28. I'm screwed!! Anyone know of a temporary fix for this problem ?

Mechanically all switches seem to be moving normally. No different than eight hours earlier when all was working fine. It appears to be electrical in nature. Doesn't seem like lubrication would help my issue. Any comments?
Hi Chirozilla;

You mention that left control cluster has failed which I presume you mean ALL switches. The temporary fix I proposed is oriented to single switches not working due to mechanical rather than electric problems.

I believe that there is a possibility that the problem may have a different origin, perhaps from a single wire that may even be located far from the controm cluster.

You may try to check the integrity of the connection to the main computer located under the riders seat.

Due to the short time untill your trip if I were you I would contact the BMW dealer and request his imediate assistance.

Also, consider that WD 40 is not only a lubricant as it has also the property of displacing water and humidity from electrical contacts.

Good luck !

Andre
Old 06-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #143
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
WD40 is a cleaner that also works as a light lubricant, it may also act as a drying agent. As a technician I can see no problems with a light coat of WD40.
The major function of WD40 is that it displaces water.
I think they made it for this reason actually (and all the other functionality was realized afterwards).

You can see videos with bulbs working under water after they have put a thick coat of WD40 in the whole system.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:54 AM   #144
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
There is no attitude and and certainly no translation issues, at least on my part.

The other inmate you mention is me and spraying WD 40 was not done liberally, quite the opposite.

I can understand and certainly respect your wish to do not take your switch apart, afterall, its your bike, your time, your risk. However, I don't understand why if you haven't tried nor have experience doing it, why you state, as in doubting, if one who tries it will succeed ? Thats just discouraging one to try what someone else did ( and succeeded) and proposes as a solution.

If you don't want to do it, fine. Just don't criticize between the lines, one's constructive suggestions and will to help others.

Best of luck to you,

Andre
I simply said success Is not guaranteed. Since the sample size is one, that is a very reasonable statement. Hardly criticism, In fact I offered it as a potential solution.

Perhaps "YMMV" would have been more palatable?
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #145
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Hi all I am a ktm 1190 adventure owner and I have been reading some of this topic and must say we do have problems as well so don't feel sad

We have got this problems...

Excessive engine heat in traffic .( hopefully we will get some heat shelds.)
30 mpg in city two up.:)
The side stand is short and digs in when you put it on any ground.
Some people notice that at night if your fuel light comes up your headlights turn off :)
Putting petrol to the tank is some how difficult as well.

When you turn the abs off it doesn't stay of if the engine switch off if you want this ktm sell a part called 80 octane bad fuel electronic part . Then it stays on.

This is all for now. But new bikes always have lots of problems .

Peace

Tan
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #146
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
i simply said success is not guaranteed. Since the sample size is one, that is a very reasonable statement. Hardly criticism, in fact i offered it as a potential solution.

Perhaps "ymmv" would have been more palatable?
"ymmv" ???
Old 06-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #147
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,981
Quote:
"ymmv" ???
Your mileage may vary
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #148
Chirozilla
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Left control cluster may be heat related

For the third morning in a row with temps in the upper 70's my left controls worked perfectly. When I checked them at 1 PM they had failed again. Temp 90. This is consistent with the previous two afternoons. Any one experienced similar situation and have a cure besides riding with a ice pack strapped to the controls ?
Chirozilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #149
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,093
The cure is one: Replacement cluster made BETTER by whoever sells OEM to BMW. They screwed batch #1.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #150
treg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Have they changed them since the first ones?
treg is offline   Reply With Quote