Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #181
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
Depending on the thickness of your boots you may need to adjust the Gear shift linkage.
Good point. How do I do that?
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #182
Mattpar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistole View Post
- perhaps your clutch slave is sticking = Resulting in an intermittent fault.

- as for the earlier comments , imho : there is no need to start it with the clutch pulled in (unless you're in gear).

I alway pull the clutch in when I start my bike. I usually start my bike, put on my gear then hop in the bike and ride away. Pulling the clutch in is to make sure it doesn't start in gear and jump forward off the kick stand. My previous bike would start in gear with the kick stand down. I don't always trust the Neutral light 100%.
Mattpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #183
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Good point. How do I do that?
It is very easy the linkage is behind the shifter, loosen the two 10mm nuts and rotate the center section then tighten the nuts.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #184
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattpar View Post
I alway pull the clutch in when I start my bike. I usually start my bike, put on my gear then hop in the bike and ride away. Pulling the clutch in is to make sure it doesn't start in gear and jump forward off the kick stand. My previous bike would start in gear with the kick stand down. I don't always trust the Neutral light 100%.
If the LC is in gear and on the side kick stand the starter will not engage, this is a safety item on the US bikes. I do not know if all the LCs have this feature.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #185
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It is very easy the linkage is behind the shifter, loosen the two 10mm nuts and rotate the center section then tighten the nuts.
Thanks, will try that
Old 06-17-2013, 01:46 AM   #186
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
I was out today on mine, and went to change from 3rd to 4th whilst doing an overtake, and either I didn't apply enough pressure, or there's a problem with the gearbox, but the bike didn't go into gear, and then there was an almighty crunch before it slipped into 4th Its never happened before, so I'll keep an eye on this. Has anyone else experienced this?
This sometimes happens to me to. usually when I went from my rinding boots with thick soles to my summer riding shoes. You need to firmly put it in gear.
I often have to look a bit for neutral. Bit I always find it
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #187
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

I only have about 300 miles on my LC but it is getting easier to find neutral as the mileage gets higher. Many of our shifting problems will sort themselves out as we put more miles on our bikes. But it is still critical to get the lever adjusted properly for your normal riding boots.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #188
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
I only have about 300 miles on my LC but it is getting easier to find neutral as the mileage gets higher. Many of our shifting problems will sort themselves out as we put more miles on our bikes. But it is still critical to get the lever adjusted properly for your normal riding boots.
Same here, neutral is definitely becoming easier. Originally had to keep going down from 2nd to select N, but up from first is now working fairly well with 250 miles on it. The gearbox is a bit crunchy at times and definitely prefers to be upshifted after the torque peak, but it seems to be breaking in just fine so far.

Obtires: I'm not loving the way the Trail Attack 2 steers so far, too durn light for my tastes. I have dropped it a bit in pressure and will try dropping it another pound as well. Can't wait to be able to get other rounder front tires like the Michelin PR3 when they make this front size available.
atwoodtja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #189
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just adjusted it, so will see how it is on the next ride out.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:31 AM   #190
emack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
intermittent stalling

On my way to work this morning with my wife on the back, we come to an intersection, I downshift, have the clutch pulled in waiting for a car to pass so that I can turn left, and the bike stalls. It started right up - thank God - without me having to stop and put my feet down, but it wasn't exactly a good feeling to be stalled in traffic. It's happened to me a couple times so far (I have about 900 miles on my bike so far), but mostly at stop signs. Anyone else experience this?
emack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #191
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 555
750 miles and no issues here on my red wet head here in Atlanta, GA. That sounded a little too erotic.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #192
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by emack View Post
On my way to work this morning with my wife on the back, we come to an intersection, I downshift, have the clutch pulled in waiting for a car to pass so that I can turn left, and the bike stalls. It started right up - thank God - without me having to stop and put my feet down, but it wasn't exactly a good feeling to be stalled in traffic. It's happened to me a couple times so far (I have about 900 miles on my bike so far), but mostly at stop signs. Anyone else experience this?
Monday mine stalled under moderate accelleration in 2nd gear. Restarted while rolling with no issue. It didn't stumble or cough, just stopped running. Only time it's happened in 2k miles.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #193
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
Monday mine stalled under moderate accelleration in 2nd gear. Restarted while rolling with no issue. It didn't stumble or cough, just stopped running. Only time it's happened in 2k miles.
Could be some dirt in the fuel.
(now you don't see me because you have me blocked but anyway - maybe someone will quote me)
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #194
carlsberger
ManyPauser

Oddometer: 40
Similar issues

Love the ride, love the motor.

Quite an upgrade from my 2004 GS another first year release I had a love hate relationship with !!!

Problems experienced after 6000 kms.

* instrument panel popping off right hand anchor, possibly a clip fell off on the underside ??

* cruise control set & up/down switch acting up, very flimsy !!

* noise from final drive NOT again I pray, my 2004 went there twice

To the dealers next week while I am out of town
Old 06-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #195
emack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
not a great day for the bike

So my issue on the way to work wasn't the only fun I had on the bike today. Almost home and put the cruise on only to have the switch act up and accelerate. Messed with it when I got home and it went back to normal.
emack is offline   Reply With Quote