Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #196
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by emack View Post
... Messed with it when I got home and it went back to normal.
"Messed with it...? " I love technical talk. Can you be more specific?
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:22 AM   #197
catch
Deutscher

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by emack;
...come to an intersection, I downshift, have the clutch pulled in waiting for a car to pass so that I can turn left, and the bike stalls. It started right up without me having to stop and put my feet down, but it wasn't exactly a good feeling to be stalled in traffic. Anyone else experience this?
I experienced the same! Mine was stalling 2 times while pulling the clutch. Got my LC 10 days ago and have 1100 Km's on the clock. The first time it stalled I almost fell on my nose as I was just releasing the clutch lever and expected acceleration....but all I actually did was breaking with the clutch. The second time was the other day when I came back from a tour. Right in front of my house I pulled the clutch, rolling 50 meters before turning into a street which leads me to my garage, the engine went off. Not dangerous so far as I was able to easily switch it on again. I will have my first service on the 26th and tell the dealer about that issue.
Beside that I also find the 3rd gear a bit to clunky when I shift it under 3800 rpm's.
All in all it's a very nice bike. I only had Harleys before and just miss the 6th gear overdrive which gives you a relaxed feeling when driving on highways. The LC actually need's an overdrive while driving on German Autobahnen.....with legal speed of 220 Kph

catch screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 01:28 AM
catch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:11 AM   #198
Perspicacious
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Fuel pump

Buggered fuel pump. 8 days old. 1,100km.

New pump being air freighted from Germany. Bike having a rest at the dealer for a week.
Perspicacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:55 AM   #199
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Just had my rear brakepads replaced by the dealer. Set one was worn after 7500km. Got them for free since there they wear to fast. batch one will all be replaced by a new type of pads.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #200
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
batch one will all be replaced by a new type of pads.
Is that official?
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #201
emack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
flicked it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar201 View Post
"Messed with it...? " I love technical talk. Can you be more specific?
Sorry. The set switch was really loose - like it was broken. So it was moving around freely, but only forward from the position where it typically sits (neutral position in the middle, where you push it forward to set it or pull it back to decelerate). I could pull it backward and the green light came on like the cruise was set, but the bike would just continue to decelerate. If I pushed it forward, it just moved freely and did nothing. When I got home, I flicked it a few times (technical term - ) and it actually 'popped' back into place. It seems like it's sticking for some reason. We got caught in the rain on Sunday, so not sure if that could be causing it to stick. I guess I could spray some electrical lubricant or WD40 on it to see if that helps.
emack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #202
nba74
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by emack View Post
Sorry. The set switch was really loose - like it was broken. So it was moving around freely, but only forward from the position where it typically sits (neutral position in the middle, where you push it forward to set it or pull it back to decelerate). I could pull it backward and the green light came on like the cruise was set, but the bike would just continue to decelerate. If I pushed it forward, it just moved freely and did nothing. When I got home, I flicked it a few times (technical term - ) and it actually 'popped' back into place. It seems like it's sticking for some reason. We got caught in the rain on Sunday, so not sure if that could be causing it to stick. I guess I could spray some electrical lubricant or WD40 on it to see if that helps.

Switchs failures are a bit of problem, since this new layout.
Personally, had a turning switch failure (broken) at 1000km, them the TCS/ABS button stuck in the upper position. Dealer replaced both, but they told me that a new part number will be available soon.
nba74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #203
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I'll throw this out there:

My GSW is 6 weeks old, 2300 miles. It has been in downpours, and parked outside in the rain for hours, with no electrical issues of any kind.

In the past two weeks, it seems as if the throttle, when in the closed position with the cruise control engaged, it incredibly sensitive.

A bump in the road, or even a slight repositioning of the hand disengages the cruise. I need to keep the throttle in a slightly opened position to prevent the cruise from disengaging.

It does not appear to be a cruise switch problem, since that works fine (on, off, accel, and resume), but rather an overly sensitive throttle sensor.

Anyone else experienced this?
Yup. Especially annoying when windy out.
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:57 AM   #204
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
I would suspect a software update to take care of throttle and many other problems in the fall or spring. This is how they did it with the K1600.
If it is like some of the K1600 updates it will have a simple name like cold start improvements, but it will completely transform the motorcycle.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #205
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by catch View Post
I experienced the same! Mine was stalling 2 times while pulling the clutch. Got my LC 10 days ago and have 1100 Km's on the clock. The first time it stalled I almost fell on my nose as I was just releasing the clutch lever and expected acceleration....but all I actually did was breaking with the clutch. The second time was the other day when I came back from a tour. Right in front of my house I pulled the clutch, rolling 50 meters before turning into a street which leads me to my garage, the engine went off. Not dangerous so far as I was able to easily switch it on again. I will have my first service on the 26th and tell the dealer about that issue.
Beside that I also find the 3rd gear a bit to clunky when I shift it under 3800 rpm's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspicacious View Post
Buggered fuel pump. 8 days old. 1,100km.

Could the few reports of stalling be related to a failing fuel pump?
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #206
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Is that official?
Don't know. I think the dealers got the instruction to change the pads on all bikes with the old ones (without calling them in).
I did have to sign something so they could send it to the HQ I think.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #207
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I'll throw this out there:

My GSW is 6 weeks old, 2300 miles. It has been in downpours, and parked outside in the rain for hours, with no electrical issues of any kind.

In the past two weeks, it seems as if the throttle, when in the closed position with the cruise control engaged, it incredibly sensitive.

A bump in the road, or even a slight repositioning of the hand disengages the cruise. I need to keep the throttle in a slightly opened position to prevent the cruise from disengaging.

It does not appear to be a cruise switch problem, since that works fine (on, off, accel, and resume), but rather an overly sensitive throttle sensor.

Anyone else experienced this?
Mine did this when I first got it. I noticed it when riding on a windy day. Every gust of wind that hit me would kick off the cruise.

It should be noted that the next day is when I had my issue that led to my entire motor being replaced and it has never happened again since even over rough bumps or hard gusts of wind so I wonder if it's an adjustment someplace or something?
Old 06-22-2013, 04:45 AM   #208
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Be very careful about the gas that you put in the new BMWs. A major brand has an additive that may be corrosive to our tanks, if the bike is feed a steady diet of the stuff. Check out the K1600 forum for the brand that starts with (SH). It has been known to leave a white substance in the tanks. Use alcohol free gas if at all possible the higher the alcohol contant the worse the bike will run Chevron Techron can help with all sorts of fuel problems on BMWs.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #209
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Quick note
I just got back from the dealer they did a 600 mile service. When the bike was hooked to the computer, the computer found 6+ updates that it installed.
BMW has at least two types of updates.
1 Mandatory and recall updates
2 Optional updates
Many dealers will not take the time to look for the optional updates and these are the ones that solve many of the problems that we encounter when living with the bike.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #210
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
Quick note
I just got back from the dealer they did a 600 mile service. When the bike was hooked to the computer, the computer found 6+ updates that it installed.
BMW has at least two types of updates.
1 Mandatory and recall updates
2 Optional updates
Many dealers will not take the time to look for the optional updates and these are the ones that solve many of the problems that we encounter when living with the bike.
So, what exactly were the updates?
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote