Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #211
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
So, what exactly were the updates?
I do not know. This is the same as with the K1600 the dealer does not find out unless they are mandatory and then they only get a listing of part of the update. BMW is very closed mouth about most updates. It would be nice if they would give a FAQ. It may be that the corporate lawyers will not let them publish information. Or a second thought if a competitor got hold of the information it might be able to be used against BMW.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #212
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
Quick note
I just got back from the dealer they did a 600 mile service. When the bike was hooked to the computer, the computer found 6+ updates that it installed.
BMW has at least two types of updates.
1 Mandatory and recall updates
2 Optional updates
Many dealers will not take the time to look for the optional updates and these are the ones that solve many of the problems that we encounter when living with the bike.
Many dealers? Really? I suspect the process is automated and the updates come when the tech hooks the motorcycle up to the computer. I'm sure these updates don't cost the dealer a penny, so its hard to believe that dealers don't install them. Now perhaps some poorer techs at the crappier dealers don't due to ignorance. I find that easier to believe, but I still wouldn't describe that number as "many" without some more information.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #213
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Quick note

2 Optional updates
Many dealers will not take the time to look for the optional updates and these are the ones that solve many of the problems that we encounter when living with the bike.
What problems do the optional updates fix?
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #214
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
Many dealers? Really? I suspect the process is automated and the updates come when the tech hooks the motorcycle up to the computer. I'm sure these updates don't cost the dealer a penny, so its hard to believe that dealers don't install them. Now perhaps some poorer techs at the crappier dealers don't due to ignorance. I find that easier to believe, but I still wouldn't describe that number as "many" without some more information.
Just go to the K1600 Forum and see how many dealers make every excuse under the sun why they can not do updates or straight out lie about it.
As far as what the updates fix I do not know. BMW is very closed mouth about the updates.
I have been through this with the K1600. Sometimes we can guess what the changes are and other times we will have no idea.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #215
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,097
Haven't had any done this year on my new GS but in the past the dealer told me what the updates were and which ones to skip. I kinda trust mine.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #216
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by nba74 View Post
Switchs failures are a bit of problem, since this new layout.
Personally, had a turning switch failure (broken) at 1000km, them the TCS/ABS button stuck in the upper position. Dealer replaced both, but they told me that a new part number will be available soon.
Rumor has it that the engineer responsible for the design of the fuel strips was promoted and put in charge of designing the new switch gear!

Regards, Paul
Old 06-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #217
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
Believe it...they don't install them. I asked for them to check and they said no, they don't check unless there is a problem because the updates can often create issues that didn't exist beforehand. I'm guessing BMW doesn't pay them to do updates without a diagnosis so they don't want to waste their time or risk pissing you off by telling you that you have to pay for it. Contrast with Ducati where the dealers notify you when there is a software update.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #218
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Believe it...they don't install them. I asked for them to check and they said no, they don't check unless there is a problem because the updates can often create issues that didn't exist beforehand. I'm guessing BMW doesn't pay them to do updates without a diagnosis so they don't want to waste their time or risk pissing you off by telling you that you have to pay for it. Contrast with Ducati where the dealers notify you when there is a software update.
It is up to the individual dealer. The dealers are paid to install the updates. Many dealers do not because it takes up computer time, they are too lazy, they don't care what the customer wants, all of this adds up to poor customer service.
I was an Operations Manager before I retired and became a Motor Officer.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #219
UtahDirt
What happened to the Sun?

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Be very careful about the gas that you put in the new BMWs. A major brand has an additive that may be corrosive to our tanks, if the bike is feed a steady diet of the stuff. Check out the K1600 forum for the brand that starts with (SH). It has been known to leave a white substance in the tanks. Use alcohol free gas if at all possible the higher the alcohol contant the worse the bike will run Chevron Techron can help with all sorts of fuel problems on BMWs.
Why do you keep telling us to check another forum? I guess I'm lucky, never experienced closed mouthed lazy dealers. My dealer explains the update process recommends which ones to install and why.
14 Harley Ultra Limited Water Pumper
UtahDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #220
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Be very careful about the gas that you put in the new BMWs. A major brand has an additive that may be corrosive to our tanks, if the bike is feed a steady diet of the stuff. Check out the K1600 forum for the brand that starts with (SH). It has been known to leave a white substance in the tanks. Use alcohol free gas if at all possible the higher the alcohol contant the worse the bike will run Chevron Techron can help with all sorts of fuel problems on BMWs.
Which K1600 forum? Can you give us a link to the thread?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #221
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Which K1600 forum? Can you give us a link to the thread?
Here is a link to the K1600 forum.

http://www.k1600forum.com/?page=active_topics
The reason that I keep telling people to check this forum is they have gone through what riders on this forum are just starting to find out.
http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...ide-issue.html
Old 06-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #222
sdh2020
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
Service records to prove this please, black out personal info. Sorry, anyone that is a 'noob' on this site could just be making shit up. Unless you truly got a lemon, it's hard to believe you've already had this many issues. Prove me wrong though.
Right nugget! Why would i lie? yes i am a Noob but i'm actually would would be called a lurker but the reason why i dont post is because of nuggets like you and dont have time to post as i'm too busy riding my bikes rather than the keyboard you sit behind!!

I have spent 14k on a bike that is pissing oil out of the crank case now! So you may call it a lemon and yes i do like the bike but am completely pissed off with the build quality.

If you are interested after the ecu was re-flashed the problem has gone away!
The rear brake calliper, master cylinder, disc and pads were replaced. Also got given a full set of luggage free of charge!

I had a switch gear sent from the production line. try getting that kind of service! Also a free acro end can!

Now the bike is back at the dealers waiting for an answer from BWM what to do regarding the oil leak!

In the UK we don't have a Lemon law! otherwise it would have gone back.

By the sounds of it you love BMW so much you have it tattooed on your forehead!
sdh2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #223
sdh2020
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
oil leak

http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/sd...tml?sort=3&o=0

not sure how to post pics but follow the link and you will find a couple of pics.

I am currently waiting for BMW to get back to the dealer for a resolution!

Looking at it i think the system has pressurised forcing the foam filter out as well as oil. The hole as far as i can make out is a drain for the combined oil and water pump. But i'm not to sure. Any ideas?

Just before the bike was released there was a pressurisation issue. But i thought is was to do with the gearbox but i could be wrong.

Also i heard today BMW are redesigning the clutch. Weather we will get this as a service bulletin or it will be fitted on next years bike, we will have to wait and see!
sdh2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #224
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdh2020 View Post
http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/sd...tml?sort=3&o=0

not sure how to post pics but follow the link and you will find a couple of pics.

I am currently waiting for BMW to get back to the dealer for a resolution!

Looking at it i think the system has pressurised forcing the foam filter out as well as oil. The hole as far as i can make out is a drain for the combined oil and water pump. But i'm not to sure. Any ideas?

Just before the bike was released there was a pressurisation issue. But i thought is was to do with the gearbox but i could be wrong.

Also i heard today BMW are redesigning the clutch. Weather we will get this as a service bulletin or it will be fitted on next years bike, we will have to wait and see!
To post pictures using Photo Bucket copy the bottom link and paste that to your post.
Sorry for your problems if you have a different dealer that you can take your bike to they may be able to do a better job with your bike.
Many problems that I hear about are caused by poor setup or maintance.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #225
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
If they are redisigning the clutch, I hope it is a duel clutch. I hear some of there cars have it.
Crilly is online now   Reply With Quote