User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #2311
Baybiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
GSW Rev Surging Issues

Thanks for the feedback, Rocky TFS! Before I knew this thread existed, I started a new one yesterday and have heard back from a few kind hearted souls. They think it might be a clutch-related issue. Have to admit I was a bit surprised since I haven't had problems shifting gears or slipping out of gear. Struck me as more of a throttle (fly by wire) issue and a possible hiccup/lag between the time when the throttle was first applied and the electronic response to the transmission. But what do I know?

I've read several earlier posts on this thread about other throttle-related issues, which seem similar to what I'm experiencing, but not exactly the same.

Anyone else have views on throttle vs. clutch as the likely source of the problem, or heard or experienced what I'm dealing with? This is driving me crazy
Baybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:45 AM   #2312
Baybiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
On the other thread I posted ("Ugghhh - 2014 GSW Issue on Acceleration; Any Ideas?"), roadracer agrees the problem is my clutch, in fact he thinks I have a slipping clutch. What I don't get is why that would happen out of the blue. Come to think of it, this only started happening after I went in to get the engine oil changed at 3K as my dealer recommended. I can't imagine something would have been done then that could be related to the clutch, right? The clutch has its own oil reservoir. Go figure.
Baybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:36 AM   #2313
Flashback Adventures
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Clutch noise on 2014 GSA

A friend's 2014 GSA Adv is making a ticking noise when he pulls the clutch. Any idea on the cause or ways to fix. The dealer took the clutch apart, checked for loose screws, and reassembled and put new oil in but the problem is still the same.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:38 AM   #2314
n1tr0
Dual Sport rider

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by z7x8c9 View Post
6000 km or about 9600 miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Other way round, I'd say!

No that sounds about right. Have you ever tried covering any serious distance in Europe. Roadtrips that would hardly leave ink on the map in the US, take days over there.
n1tr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #2315
Beecher Snipes
Fool

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baybiker View Post
On the other thread I posted ("Ugghhh - 2014 GSW Issue on Acceleration; Any Ideas?"), roadracer agrees the problem is my clutch, in fact he thinks I have a slipping clutch. What I don't get is why that would happen out of the blue. Come to think of it, this only started happening after I went in to get the engine oil changed at 3K as my dealer recommended. I can't imagine something would have been done then that could be related to the clutch, right? The clutch has its own oil reservoir. Go figure.
The clutch is bathed in engine oil, not it's own reservoir.
Beecher Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #2316
Silverfin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Wrong oil?

Is it possible the wrong oil was used? Not likely if a BMW dealer but some flavors of synthetic engine oil have friction reducers for better efficiency. These are not motorcycle oils but you should confirm exactly what oil was used as the symptoms you mention could be induced by using automotive oil with an energy efficiency rating.

Older BMWs had a dry cluch...ie not bathed in oil but yours is a wet cluch so oil will affect its operation. Just a thought.
Silverfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #2317
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baybiker View Post
Sure sounds like a slipping clutch to me too. Here's how to tell: Next time it acts like this reduce the throttle in several small increments about a second apart. When the engine returns to the RPM before the supposed slipping occurred and the bike starts to accelerate, increase the throttle in the same small increments a second apart. If you can control the slipping (RPM surges) by this method, you have a slipping clutch, and it's a 95% certainty that the oil change is the culprit. Somebody at the dealer F**** up.

This may not work if surging only happens when cranking throttle wide open, but some variant of this technique will....i.e., larger and faster increments. What you are doing is increasing or decreasing the torque that the clutch feels to find out where the slipping starts and stops. Other possible causes are MOST unlikely to respond to this test.

There is one other possible cause of clutch slipping, and that is if the reservoir is overfilled, but this would have been apparent before 3,000 miles. Old mechanic's rule of thumb: Whatever was changed JUST prior to a problem appearing is always THE most likely reason for the problem.

Rocky TFS screwed with this post 07-09-2014 at 10:04 AM
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #2318
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
I have the same issue. Dealer said nothing wrong. I have tried booster plug as well and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
Hi Guys,
After a long brake returning to the forum. Dug through few dozens of pages in this topic but couldn't find any relevant data. 16k km into the bike and after the typical change of switches and read brake pads after 4000km everything runs smooth, except one thing that keeps bothering me. And can't decide whether I'm just paranoid and 'this bike is just like that', or there's something wrong.
Around 3,200 - 3,500 RPM the engine is surging, and it's been like that since the bike was new, especially on 1st and 2nd gear. At first I thought it might be just too low RPM, but it's much less noticeable below that range. Then I though that maybe it's an issue with the throttle and the computer that can't decide whether it's open or closed when it's just slightly cracked open (by around 15 degrees), recently I managed to set the cruse control so the RPM stays in that range and the problem still occurs.
So to the question, is it just the characteristic of the engine having a torque dip in this range and struggling and I'm just paranoid, or is there something wrong ?
Old 07-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #2319
Byrdguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Don't the WCs have a slipper clutch? Maybe there is a malfunction of the slipper mechanism.
Also, the throttle by wire has nothing to do with the transmission. If the engine is revving, it should be transferring power, through the clutch to the transmission. Sounds like a clutch problem. start with another oil change with different type of oil. (on the dealer's dime)
Byrdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #2320
Fancywoo
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback Adventures View Post
A friend's 2014 GSA Adv is making a ticking noise when he pulls the clutch. Any idea on the cause or ways to fix. The dealer took the clutch apart, checked for loose screws, and reassembled and put new oil in but the problem is still the same.
I am pretty sure the ticking noise is normal. If I am right, it is a switch which lowers the compression for starting at low RPM's. My bike does it very regularly.

Cheers

Paul

I don't want a pickle...
Fancywoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:47 PM   #2321
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Sure sounds like a slipping clutch to me too. Here's how to tell: Next time it acts like this reduce the throttle in several small increments about a second apart. When the engine returns to the RPM before the supposed slipping occurred and the bike starts to accelerate, increase the throttle in the same small increments a second apart. If you can control the slipping (RPM surges) by this method, you have a slipping clutch, and it's a 95% certainty that the oil change is the culprit. Somebody at the dealer F**** up.

This may not work if surging only happens when cranking throttle wide open, but some variant of this technique will....i.e., larger and faster increments. What you are doing is increasing or decreasing the torque that the clutch feels to find out where the slipping starts and stops. Other possible causes are MOST unlikely to respond to this test.

There is one other possible cause of clutch slipping, and that is if the reservoir is overfilled, but this would have been apparent before 3,000 miles. Old mechanic's rule of thumb: Whatever was changed JUST prior to a problem appearing is always THE most likely reason for the problem.

Easier...grab all the brakes while accelerating..if engine rpm goes up..clutch is slipping…5th or 6th gear...
VEGASGSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #2322
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Easier...grab all the brakes while accelerating..if engine rpm goes up..clutch is slipping…5th or 6th gear...
Ah yes, much more reliable test....why didn't I think if that?
Old 07-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #2323
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 822
My windshield has started to crack - small lines around the lower fastening points. Also, the little screen underneath the windshield is cracked as well. Took it to the dealer, and they ordered replacement shields under warranty with no questions asked. Them BMW NA called the dealer and told them not to give me the parts as there is a new revision of the shields being released with new part numbers. Apparently mine is not the only one. Oh well, no big deal.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #2324
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Ah yes, much more reliable test....why didn't I think if that?
No needed...if you can apply brake and add throttle..and RPMs rise..your clutch is slipping..take it to a mechanic and see how they do it...then..get back to me..all I can say at that point.."told you so"...

How many clutches have you checked? I've only done maybe forty..fifty or so, bikes, race cars, Jeeps..if you have a better way..I'm listening..
VEGASGSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #2325
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
..if you have a better way..I'm listening..
No, I've only done two. My 2 cents only came from a logical thought process....this is what I would have tried first...your method would have come about 10 seconds later.....