Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 03:27 AM   #286
UK Zoltan
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
How are you getting on with the new, replacement bike?
Will get the bike next week. But the deal is that the dealer will have the bike on trade plate and will run it in for the first 100/200 miles. Any issues, they keep the bike and the deal is off. Simple.

UK Zoltan screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 04:54 AM
UK Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #287
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
My dealer called last week to say my new switch has arrived. I need to get down there this week to have it replaced.
Mine arrived today; need to have it replaced now. Apparently a shipment made the states. Wonder if it's a new design?
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #288
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
Mine arrived today; need to have it replaced now. Apparently a shipment made the states. Wonder if it's a new design?
I think it's way to soon to see a redesign...unfortunately.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #289
ironklad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I've been told by my dealer that the switch has been redesigned and none available in the US at the moment. I still need to have them officially inspect mine but he's put one on order as a precaution.
ironklad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #290
nwpa
Generally amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironklad View Post
I've been told by my dealer that the switch has been redesigned and none available in the US at the moment. I still need to have them officially inspect mine but he's put one on order as a precaution.
He may want to order a few...
Old 07-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #291
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironklad View Post
Well given that the K16 had the same switches and issues and they installed them on the new GS as well, I think it's a little bit optimistic to think that all of a sudden they have redesigned and manufactured a new switch. Just because BMW has no parts in stock doesn't necessarily mean the part has been redesigned...it more likely just means they've had to replace a lot of broken switches and ran out of inventory. Perhaps your dealer can pull up the parts diagrams in the BMW system and show you the new part?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #292
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Well given that the K16 had the same switches and issues and they installed them on the new GS as well, I think it's a little bit optimistic to think that all of a sudden they have redesigned and manufactured a new switch. Just because BMW has no parts in stock doesn't necessarily mean the part has been redesigned...it more likely just means they've had to replace a lot of broken switches and ran out of inventory. Perhaps your dealer can pull up the parts diagrams in the BMW system and show you the new part?
Ineed more probable.
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:29 AM   #293
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
I think it's way to soon to see a redesign...unfortunately.
Yeh, just like the fuel strip issue...... How many years before that got addressed. They still put that sh!t system in the R12R. Before any design change occurs they first need to acknowledge a problem with the existing switch gear. That's not likely to happen for many years.

I hear the engineer that designed the fuel strip was promoted in put in charge of switches gear design!

Regards, Paul
Old 07-10-2013, 02:09 AM   #294
nwpa
Generally amused

Quote:
. Perhaps your dealer can pull up the parts diagrams in the BMW system and show you the new part?
It does look like there is a superseded part number fwiw.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #295
smithdt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
It does look like there is a superseded part number fwiw.
Can you advise where your seeing the old and new part numbers?
thanks
smithdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #296
nwpa
Generally amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithdt View Post
Can you advise where your seeing the old and new part numbers?
thanks
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...1&rnd=04302013
Old 07-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #297
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Yeh, just like the fuel strip issue...... How many years before that got addressed. They still put that sh!t system in the R12R.
They don't. The R1200R doesn't have a fuel strip anymore - since 02/2013. It doesn't have a fuel level display anymore either ... just a warning light when you go on reserve. Same as if you didn't buy the On Board Computer.

And don't get me started on that - it's a completely shitty solution, but unfortunately typical "big corporation thinking".
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #298
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
They don't. The R1200R doesn't have a fuel strip anymore - since 02/2013. It doesn't have a fuel level display anymore either ... just a warning light when you go on reserve. Same as if you didn't buy the On Board Computer.

And don't get me started on that - it's a completely shitty solution, but unfortunately typical "big corporation thinking".
I didn't realize they made that change in 2013. They fixed the problem by removing the fuel indicator. Clever engineering...

There's no reason to believe the "big corporation" is going to do it differently with the switch issue. No wait, they can't simply remove the switch gear can they?

BMW will start paying attention as soon as peeps stop buying the products, until then we're on our own.

I really really want a GS-L but not one that comes with issues designed in.

It's beyond my comprehension way that "big corporation" can't get it right, then won't make it right.
Rant over... Sorry.

Regards, Paul
Old 07-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #299
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
While I believe a small number of bike have switch issues, I wonder how many are caused by heavy fisted riders.
I know that I will take flack for this post, but I have been living with the new type of switch for over two years. Yes last year the switches on the GTL started to fail at the end of summer. Both were replaced under warranty with new part numbers.
We here about problems over and over but not about bikes without problems and there are many more of them.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #300
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
While I believe a small number of bike have switch issues, I wonder how many are caused by heavy fisted riders.
I know that I will take flack for this post, but I have been living with the new type of switch for over two years. Yes last year the switches on the GTL started to fail at the end of summer. Both were replaced under warranty with new part numbers.
We here about problems over and over but not about bikes without problems and there are many more of them.
Are you suggesting that some of the switch cluster failures are operator error?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote