Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #316
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crilly View Post
The button switches inside have two little plastic tits that hold the buttons in place when assembled. If they brake off when pushed to fast they cause the buttons to stick down. If they get rounded off when (breaking in) being used they are less likely to stick. And yes it is a SHITTY design. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
Whatever the reasonig I do hope you get the switch problem sorted out !

Regards,

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:16 AM   #317
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
While I believe a small number of bike have switch issues, I wonder how many are caused by heavy fisted riders.
I know that I will take flack for this post, but I have been living with the new type of switch for over two years. Yes last year the switches on the GTL started to fail at the end of summer. Both were replaced under warranty with new part numbers.
We here about problems over and over but not about bikes without problems and there are many more of them.
My GS LC has failed driving light switch. It has no impact me, I hope the other switches do not fail.

I have been gentle with them, the bike is parked under cover and I have only washed it twice and not with a pressure washer.

The switches are clearly a shit design.

2013 R1200 GSW Red - Blown Engine & Gearbox (clutch basket nut issue)
2015 R1200 GSW White - On order to replace blown up 13 GSW
2006 Yamaha FZ6S
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #318
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
My GS LC has failed driving light switch. It has no impact me, I hope the other switches do not fail.

I have been gentle with them, the bike is parked under cover and I have only washed it twice and not with a pressure washer.

The switches are clearly a shit design.
I find a couple of problems with the new switches.
1; Mechanical, some of the housings and switches may not fit properly. A light spray of WD40 and repeated gentle use should solve this problem.
2; Electrical, this is much harder to fix as it requires a replacement of the switches and may leave you stranded. This is a quality control issue.
3; Weather, hopefully we do not see the problems that the K1600s have had with heat. For the K1600s a new switch assembly was made last summer.
We can only hope that the problems were contained to the first bikes and that BMW has found and corrected the manufacturing problems. In the mean time if we are gentle with the buttons we will lesson our chances of a problem.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #319
HBRDR
Invisible Rider

Oddometer: 244
Question R1200gs lc

I just completed a 1500 mile trip to NY state and back from Indiana. I had a couple of issues that need to go back to the dealer for sorting out. The cruise control would turn off intermittently without any pressure on the the throttle. This was annoying, especially when riding with only my left hand on a grip. 3 days into the ride, my ASC light came on and stayed on. The bike rode and performed very well otherwise. Fun to ride at pace and very comfortable. I have 3500 miles on the bike now. Will post solution, when I have a chance to get it to the dealer. It has everything except LED and TP monitors.

2013 R1200GS
HBRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #320
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,919
For anyone with rough shifting...

With just over 2500 miles on the bike, the only thing that I found troubling was intermittent rough shifting. It did not seem to follow a pattern that I could detect, but it seemed to be worst when going from 2nd to 3rd. I was thinking it was getting slightly better as the miles piled on, but I was still trying to figure out if it was really the bike needing to be shifted a certain way that I was not doing, or if it was me, or both.

Earlier today in the yaller forum, Magnon, who I shall now consider to be a prince among men, and whose shifting was similar to mine in its "quality" posted that he had discovered that his clutch master cylinder was grossly overfilled. He removed some fluid to bring the level down to where it should be, and now his bike shifts nicely.

So... I had to go check mine. And here is what I found. No sooner did I get the bolts holding the master cylinder lid loose (T-20, BTW) but fluid started flowing out!

Put a towel down, as there is quite a lot extra!

I couldn't find my little squeeze-bulb thingie, so I just used a couple of paper towels to soak up fluid and pull it out of the master cylinder until the level was about half way up the inside.

After buttoning it back up and cleaning off the bike where a few drips managed to go, I took it for a little test ride. I only rode a few miles on small backroads, but there was no traffic, so I was starting and stopping and running up and down through the gears constantly, using different rpm shift points, varying rates of acceleration, varying speed of moving the shift lever, and stayed out long enough so the bike was up to running temp. My opinion is:

SHIFTING PROBLEM SOLVED!

The bike now shifts as I would expect it to.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF

Emoto screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 03:55 PM
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #321
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Great post Emoto! So what is the proper level of fluid? is there a fill mark inside the container or is it half way up the sight glass?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #322
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
That's weird. "Overfilled" really isn't even possible unless the whole system was filled in some pressure chamber and even if that was the case the overfilled state would let it never fully engage. It would still fully disengage though allowing you to shift.

Ride it for a week and report back. Im curious if it really did fix this issue. It shouldn't do a damn thing but I hope it does for you!
Old 07-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #323
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
That's weird. "Overfilled" really isn't even possible unless the whole system was filled in some pressure chamber and even if that was the case the overfilled state would let it never fully engage. It would still fully disengage though allowing you to shift.

Ride it for a week and report back. Im curious if it really did fix this issue. It shouldn't do a damn thing but I hope it does for you!
Emoto;

Thanks for the tip ! Just checked my bike and as yours it was overfilled as well.

Thanks to your pictures I was prepared and had put an rag to catch any excess fluid so it wouldn't drip on the bike. In fact my spilled more than yours...

EJ92606;

There is no sight glass on the clutch reservoir; I saw no internal level markings. I left mine at mid level as the top cover has a rubber part that goes quite inside this reservoir and tends to bring the level up considerably once it is closed.

oz97ti;

ALthough I agree that there is no way to overfill this reservoir, it seems to me that there might be some sort of "back pressure" form the clutch or lower piston that pumps the fluid back to this reservoir. If this "overfilling" affects the clutch performance I don't know, however, it doesn't seem reasonable to me that there was so much fluid in there so I took some out.

I haven't ridden my bike since I did this to see if I it gets easier to find "neutral" which is my only difficulty,

I will report back as soon as I try it out.

Andre
Old 07-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #324
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:

I don't know how they fill them when building the bikes.

What I can say with absolute certainty is that resetting the amount of fluid to a normal level had a very definite and pronounced effect. It was obviously different. There was no thinking about it and turning it over in my mind trying to determine if there had maybe been some minor change. No, it was a big change that was immediately apparent. Of course, I will keep an eye on it and will report back if something untoward happens, but if I had to bet, I would bet that this settles the matter.

EJ, I just filled the reservoir half way up.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #325
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
Emoto;

Thanks for the tip ! Just checked my bike and as yours it was overfilled as well.

Thanks to your pictures I was prepared and had put an rag to catch any excess fluid so it wouldn't drip on the bike. In fact my spilled more than yours...

EJ92606;

There is no sight glass on the clutch reservoir; I saw no internal level markings. I left mine at mid level as the top cover has a rubber part that goes quite inside this reservoir and tends to bring the level up considerably once it is closed.

oz97ti;

ALthough I agree that there is no way to overfill this reservoir, it seems to me that there might be some sort of "back pressure" form the clutch or lower piston that pumps the fluid back to this reservoir. If this "overfilling" affects the clutch performance I don't know, however, it doesn't seem reasonable to me that there was so much fluid in there so I took some out.

I haven't ridden my bike since I did this to see if I it gets easier to find "neutral" which is my only difficulty,

I will report back as soon as I try it out.

Andre
As promissed I am reporting back:

I went for a ride and must say I am IMPRESSED ate the improvement !!! After a while I started to count how many times I put the bike from 1st into neutral at stoplights. On about 60 counts, it went smooooooothly 52 times, of the other 8, 5 times the lever was a bit harder but went into neutral. The remaining 3 it went staright into second gear. Overall I would say it was a 20 to 30% improovement. I also found out that on the occasions when the lever becomes hard to pull up, a gas blip ( up to some 3K rpm ) makes it go smoothly into neutral.

Overall I find these statistics quite similar from what I recall my 3 previous GSs were.

To say I am really happy with these results is the understatement of the year !

Thanks for really GREAT tip !!!

Andre
Old 07-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #326
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

That's so weird. That really SHOULDN'T work.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #327
Hambonee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I don't know how they fill them when building the bikes.

What I can say with absolute certainty is that resetting the amount of fluid to a normal level had a very definite and pronounced effect. It was obviously different. There was no thinking about it and turning it over in my mind trying to determine if there had maybe been some minor change. No, it was a big change that was immediately apparent. Of course, I will keep an eye on it and will report back if something untoward happens, but if I had to bet, I would bet that this settles the matter.

EJ, I just filled the reservoir half way up.

Huh..seems like something easy to try and I shall!

Thanks for posting this..will report early next week on how it goes after a couple of days
Hambonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #328
nickgoa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
My dealer is both car and bike BMW dealer... The service advisor once told me some items are intentionally not bulletproof to keep customers coming back to the dealership.
It didn't really make sense to me. What brought it up was a failed high pressure fuel pump that was a known issue for a long time before BMW had to recall and extend warranty. Years went by with them just replacing the part and not really addressing a fix.

my last car upgrade did happen as I was using a loaner car ... On a routine service call.
I simply had to have that turbo BMW ...

It still doesn't make sense for new vehicles to have these nuisance items installed.
nickgoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #329
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
That's so weird. That really SHOULDN'T work.
Think of the fluid, including that in the m/c, as a long rod used to push the slave cylinder. That rod must be free to move back and forth. With the whole system entirely full, its movement is inhibited.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:41 AM   #330
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Think of the fluid, including that in the m/c, as a long rod used to push the slave cylinder. That rod must be free to move back and forth. With the whole system entirely full, its movement is inhibited.
Right. But this would lead to the clutch not being fully engaged which would cause slip. This would also allow the clutch to fully disengage as intended when the lever is pulled. Lowering the fluid level could alleviate a slipping issue but your issue was rough shifting which would indicate the clutch wasn't disengaging which is backwards to what too much fluid would cause.