Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #46
VolInGA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
In answer to 2 posts:

Apparently the switches are waterproof, at least in theory... What seem s to be the problem with water in them is, appparently, result of washing with high pressure. Rain, no matter how hard it rains, should have no effect.

Andre
Doesn't the owners manual explicitly say NOT to wash with high pressure??
VolInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:17 AM   #47
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolInGA View Post
Doesn't the owners manual explicitly say NOT to wash with high pressure??
Yes it does ! However, many people don't read the manual and sometimes even if they did they don't give a shi**t

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #48
nba74
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nba74 View Post
Switchs problems seems to be a common problem with others bmw models as well, mine had a turning switch failure at 1000km and sometimes the starter switch get stuck too and you need to push it a bit harder. A friends bike got all left console failure after a wash... So sooner or later I hope that a recall is needed.

I have the complete left handlebar buttons unit in back order, after a turning switch failure.
My dealer told me there is a new part number available and will be shipped soon.
nba74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #49
madefrtv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Did you have trouble disengaging the cruise with the clutch brake or throttle roll off functions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolderboulder View Post
I had a similar but much more dangerous problem with the switch. Last Saturday near the end of the a 500-mile ride, the reduce-speed switch on the cruise control first stopped working, then after my repeated attempts to reduce cruising speed when the highway approached a busy town, it began to increase speed instead of decreasing speed! My 1st reaction was that it was likely my delusion maybe I was just tired. Later when there's little traffic again, I turned on the cruise control and YES no matter whether I pulled up or pushed down the speed control, it always accelerated!

This coming weekend I'm going to test it again on an empty toll highway.

whoa, dude...
madefrtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #50
madefrtv
Gnarly Adventurer

An update to my horn issue.

BMW is replacing the entire left side switch gear. I will ask if its appropriate to put some dilectic grease or silicone lube in the switchgear to palliate and possible issues. Part goes on tomorrow. Im hopeful that I just had a fluke bad part and that it doesn't need a redesign to keep it from happening again. Im not worried though, worst part is having to go spend time at a motorcycle shop. I hate that

whoa, dude...
Old 05-16-2013, 02:16 AM   #51
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenter View Post
Wait 2-3 years and all the bugs will be gone. There will also be new improvements along the way. I am fine with keeping my '12 GSA for a few years and then stepping to the new model. Look at the improvements that were made to gsa in 2010, I look for that to happen again.
By then I'll probably update my GS LC by a newer GS LC.
Somehow that is financially more interesting than driving it 4 or 5 years (I use mine mainly professionally).
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:19 AM   #52
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
Yes it does ! However, many people don't read the manual and sometimes even if they did they don't give a shi**t

Andre
The garage uses a high pressure hose to clean bikes...

I use one to. I however don't use it on the instrument cluster. Just for the dirty engineblock, wheels and the front. Saves me a lot of time compared to cleaning it manually. Afterwards a spundge and some product.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #53
bolderboulder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by madefrtv View Post
Did you have trouble disengaging the cruise with the clutch brake or throttle roll off functions?
No problem disengaging it with clutch - otherwise it'd have been a very serious situation.
bolderboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #54
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,312
Never use high pressure to clean machinery. It can push grease out of bearings and such, it can get in electrical, it can push off various fittings, hoses, tubes, electrical connections, it can in some cases remove finish.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #55
madefrtv
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I have the complete left handlebar buttons unit in back order, after a turning switch failure.
My dealer told me there is a new part number available and will be shipped soon.
I would be curious to know if I received the updated part. Do you have the part number they ordered for you available?

whoa, dude...
Old 05-17-2013, 12:52 AM   #56
nba74
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by madefrtv View Post
I would be curious to know if I received the updated part. Do you have the part number they ordered for you available?
The new part number is ref. 61318546303 and available since 15/05/2013 in Germany. Still waiting for the part to arrive.
nba74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #57
madefrtv
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The new part number is ref. 61318546303 and available since 15/05/2013 in Germany. Still waiting for the part to arrive.
Well, that's not the part number I received. I imagine the story might not be over.

whoa, dude...
Old 05-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #58
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Well today with 600 miles the left switch cluster needs to be replaced. The cruise lever flops forward and does not do any thing now. Pushing it backwards works, so it is some what usefull. It got soaked in the rain yesterday.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #59
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,876
Thank you guys for being our beta testers. ;)
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #60
DMilan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
My .02 worth regarding the switches..

Some years ago, I recall some mag review stating that the BMW switches were "aircraft" quality compared to most other bikes.
I don't know about that, but they seemed to be High Quality to my minds eye.
This was the old push left go left, push right go right, paddle style turn signals along with slide and rocker switches. I've owned many BMW motorcycles over the past 10 years... too many. Never had a failure of the old style switches..
Loved the turn signal paddles as well... Made total sense to me.

Then the change to "conventional" style turn signal operation and push buttons.
The first time I saw the "new" switches, they struck me as being cheap looking. Seems to me, ever since they came out with the new style trouble reports abound. I guess that if the new switch gear were reliable, it would be harder to find fault, but it does not appear to be the case.

At least they're not gloss black, like on my Vstrom. Which looks cheaper yet.
But then, my 2012 Vstrom was < $8,000 brand new...The economizing is easier to accept.

Glad to see Cruise Control on the new LC. Worked well during my test rides...
But even the cruise control switch seems flimsy compared to that on my 2003 K1200GT.

On the positive side, I see the wiggly pee jars have been replaced with nice looking integrated reservoirs on the LC R12GS.
Looks much better. Gives more of a sense of high quality.

Last time I was at a local Harley dealer to pick up some Cycle spray cleaner I sat on new HD. It had push left turn left, push right turn right paddles...
Seemed much better quality than the new BMW switches as well.

d'milan
DMilan is online now   Reply With Quote