Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 03:10 AM   #61
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
And happened to me too. 1900km on the odo, trip switch getting stuck and the on/off slider for the cruise control got extremely hard to move. Just wrote the dealership and waiting for the response.
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:08 AM   #62
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Thank you guys for being our beta testers. ;)
Mine is working perfectly lately. Only once a malfunctioning button (or a malfunctioning user) and that problem fixed itself.
And stability is OK. the wiggle in the handlebars disappeared and it is very solid at speed. Even at 120 MPH with the 3 panniers attached.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #63
sdh2020
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
No word of a lie there! BMW are still testing bikes to try and find the faults! (and there are many) That was what one world was about. my friend was one of the five riders and they had problems. But you don't see that in the video's.

On my switch gear the hazard warning lights come on by themselves! The bike is at the dealer. But BMW cannot supply any switchgear and worse of all can't give me a time frame.

I feel like i have spent a lot of cash on becoming an unpaid development rider for them!
sdh2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #64
mrjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMilan View Post
My .02 worth regarding the switches..

Some years ago, I recall some mag review stating that the BMW switches were "aircraft" quality compared to most other bikes.
I don't know about that, but they seemed to be High Quality to my minds eye.
This was the old push left go left, push right go right, paddle style turn signals along with slide and rocker switches. I've owned many BMW motorcycles over the past 10 years... too many. Never had a failure of the old style switches..
Loved the turn signal paddles as well... Made total sense to me.

Then the change to "conventional" style turn signal operation and push buttons.
The first time I saw the "new" switches, they struck me as being cheap looking. Seems to me, ever since they came out with the new style trouble reports abound. I guess that if the new switch gear were reliable, it would be harder to find fault, but it does not appear to be the case.

At least they're not gloss black, like on my Vstrom. Which looks cheaper yet.
But then, my 2012 Vstrom was < $8,000 brand new...The economizing is easier to accept.

Glad to see Cruise Control on the new LC. Worked well during my test rides...
But even the cruise control switch seems flimsy compared to that on my 2003 K1200GT.

On the positive side, I see the wiggly pee jars have been replaced with nice looking integrated reservoirs on the LC R12GS.
Looks much better. Gives more of a sense of high quality.

Last time I was at a local Harley dealer to pick up some Cycle spray cleaner I sat on new HD. It had push left turn left, push right turn right paddles...
Seemed much better quality than the new BMW switches as well.

d'milan
I quite agree, it's bloody journalists that have done this always moaning about the indicators on every BMW review they ever did, that set it in the mind of potential buyers the system wasn't good.BMW have eventually caved in to the perceived pressure. My favourite switchgear was the heavy duty magura units on the RT, proper solid stuff.
I run bikes with both the modern and traditional indicator systems and there's no doubt the paddles are the best,I find it hard to operate the clutch lever and select the indicator at the same time with the new gear, on the paddles it was easy.
mrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #65
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdh2020 View Post
No word of a lie there! BMW are still testing bikes to try and find the faults! (and there are many) That was what one world was about. my friend was one of the five riders and they had problems. But you don't see that in the video's.

On my switch gear the hazard warning lights come on by themselves! The bike is at the dealer. But BMW cannot supply any switchgear and worse of all can't give me a time frame.

I feel like i have spent a lot of cash on becoming an unpaid development rider for them!
Which one?
And also give us some hints on the problems that came up!
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #66
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,248
Quote:

In California, if it is at the dealer for more than a month waiting for repairs, it's a lemon and the owner can have BMW buy it back. Also, three time for the same repair.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #67
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 440
This thread is why I decided to wait for a year before I go to the LC. I'm very happy with my 2012 Rallye...everything works!

Good luck everyone, getting your issues sorted. Hopefully they are all fixed for the 2014s, so I can buy one!
dwestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #68
monoi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Picked up LC on Monday. Yesterday, I noticed the aux lights would not come on with the switch. Only when turning on the ignition are they on. If I switch them off, they're not coming back on. Not a big deal, but for £15k I expect somewhat better.
monoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #69
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoi View Post
Picked up LC on Monday. Yesterday, I noticed the aux lights would not come on with the switch. Only when turning on the ignition are they on. If I switch them off, they're not coming back on. Not a big deal, but for £15k I expect somewhat better.
So you want to be able to have the aux lights on with the ignition off?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #70
monoi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Nope, just to be able to switch them on or off when riding.

At the mo, they come on when I start the bike, and if I switch them off, they don't come back on until I turn off and on the ignition.

No biggie, and having spoken with BMW, it may have to do with having the automatic setting for the DRL.

Strange though.

Apart from that, what a machine!
monoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #71
sdh2020
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
ok these are the problems that i have had

59 miles the rear brake stayed on! It toasted the disc and the pads to the point it looked like it was going to burst in to flames!

Disc, calliper, master cylinder and pads were changed. Two week wait for parts.

The fly by wire throttle system has been re-flashed. This was done because the bike would cough and stall in traffic. Pressing the starter did not work so i had to turn the ignition off and on. then the bike would fire up again.

As per earlier post the hazard warning lights decided to turn themselves on when they wanted. All credit to my dealer where credit is due though i have just received a phone call to say they have robbed the switch gear off a brand new bike that was going to be a new demonstrator.

Ok talking to guys around the bizarres. This is what else i have been told and have no reason to disbelieve them because of who and what they are!

ABS modulation valves have been changed a lot. This seems to be from contamination of the brake fluid. Some was sent for analysis it came back with high levels of water, brass and aluminium.

The one world guys were development riders as well. The bikes they were using did not have the oil changed at all. they were on the same bikes some 20,000 mile were put on the bikes when finished BMW took the bikes away to be stripped. Each day BMW would go over the bikes and find out what had broken. Shocks, seals and an ecu.

There were two bikes being run last week by the factory as test vechiles pictures were on another forum.

I do like the bike though but don't like being a development rider.
sdh2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #72
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
I got a call and e-mail from BMW Customer Service saying:

"I’m contacting you because BMW Motorrad believes that you have an R 1200 GS (K50) that did not receive the final Oil Pressure Sealing Ring inspection before leaving the national warehouse.

The check involves the oil pressure sealing ring of the gearbox output shaft. An oil restrictor that reduces oil pressure may need to be installed."

Service scheduled for Tuesday.

FWIW - I have no leaks and used no oil in nearly 3K miles since run in service.

fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #73
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
On the topic of 2013 switches, saw this rather dated post on the twin forums:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....59&postcount=1

Quote:
Long story short - I called the dealer and they say it is a known issue with the new-style switch, where it is actually engaging the kill-switch at the same time you push the starter button. I just got my oil and filter to do my 600-mile service, but now I have to go to the dealer for them to change the switch anyway. Needless to say - this will be replaced at no cost.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #74
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Not sure if this is sincerity or sarcasm, either way, I'm enjoying the shit out of my GSW with no problems.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #75
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
ok these are the problems that i have had

59 miles the rear brake stayed on! It toasted the disc and the pads to the point it looked like it was going to burst in to flames!

Disc, calliper, master cylinder and pads were changed. Two week wait for parts.

The fly by wire throttle system has been re-flashed. This was done because the bike would cough and stall in traffic. Pressing the starter did not work so i had to turn the ignition off and on. then the bike would fire up again.

As per earlier post the hazard warning lights decided to turn themselves on when they wanted. All credit to my dealer where credit is due though i have just received a phone call to say they have robbed the switch gear off a brand new bike that was going to be a new demonstrator.

Ok talking to guys around the bizarres. This is what else i have been told and have no reason to disbelieve them because of who and what they are!

ABS modulation valves have been changed a lot. This seems to be from contamination of the brake fluid. Some was sent for analysis it came back with high levels of water, brass and aluminium.

The one world guys were development riders as well. The bikes they were using did not have the oil changed at all. they were on the same bikes some 20,000 mile were put on the bikes when finished BMW took the bikes away to be stripped. Each day BMW would go over the bikes and find out what had broken. Shocks, seals and an ecu.

There were two bikes being run last week by the factory as test vechiles pictures were on another forum.

I do like the bike though but don't like being a development rider.
Service records to prove this please, black out personal info. Sorry, anyone that is a 'noob' on this site could just be making shit up. Unless you truly got a lemon, it's hard to believe you've already had this many issues. Prove me wrong though.