Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #751
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esell1 View Post
My dealer told me the same thing when I brought it in for the idle "ping".
They added fuel treatment/octane booster in case water was in the tank.
Since then I've taken great care in where I got my fuel. Even on a trip I would plan ahead for good fuel stops.
when I say "ping" I mean there is a intermittent "knock". A metal on metal sound. Its more a miss than a ping. With that sound I would expect power loss or some degradation to its performance but that isn't the case.
Fear of engine damage is keeping it at the dealer until they can figure it out.
Which after 3 weeks is looking like they cannot fix it. BMW AG is at a loss for what is wrong with it as well. Same with the cruise control.
This is interesting as I experienced this issue when my bike had about 150 miles on the clock. Almost like an intermittent electric arcing sound which coincided with a slight miss at idle. It has nearly completely gone away now (300 miles on the clock). The dealership (BMW Battersea run directly by BMW UK) had one of their technicians listen and he openly stated that he had no explanation. He also didn't feel it was reason for concern and advised me to wait until the 600 mile service unless it got worse. They have documented it in the vehicle record.

Absolutely no drivability issues, the engine is smooth as silk underway, no hesitations, nothing. Always instant, almost thermonuclear power from this bike.

Further info: it started when I filled with Shell 95 octane. Normally I use BP95 because my F800GS runs beautifully on it but my local BP station's pumps were out of service that day. This tank (of Shell) will be running out soon so it'll be interesting to see if the problem remains when I refill with BP. Wouldn't be the first time - I once filled my 800 with Shell after a 500 mile cross country journey and for that tankful the bike bucked, hesitated, surged and had flat spots in the power delivery through the rev range. Try to avoid Shell unless I have no option, and looks like I may have another reason now.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #752
Centurion210
Attitude Indicator

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
This is interesting as I experienced this issue when my bike had about 150 miles on the clock. Almost like an intermittent electric arcing sound which coincided with a slight miss at idle. It has nearly completely gone away now (300 miles on the clock). The dealership (BMW Battersea run directly by BMW UK) had one of their technicians listen and he openly stated that he had no explanation. He also didn't feel it was reason for concern and advised me to wait until the 600 mile service unless it got worse. They have documented it in the vehicle record.

Absolutely no drivability issues, the engine is smooth as silk underway, no hesitations, nothing. Always instant, almost thermonuclear power from this bike.

Further info: it started when I filled with Shell 95 octane. Normally I use BP95 because my F800GS runs beautifully on it but my local BP station's pumps were out of service that day. This tank (of Shell) will be running out soon so it'll be interesting to see if the problem remains when I refill with BP. Wouldn't be the first time - I once filled my 800 with Shell after a 500 mile cross country journey and for that tankful the bike bucked, hesitated, surged and had flat spots in the power delivery through the rev range. Try to avoid Shell unless I have no option, and looks like I may have another reason now.
I had a similar issue at idle when I picked mine up from the dealer with whatever fuel they had put in it. The bike only had 2 miles on the clock back then. I have been using Texaco and Chevron stations' premium (their brand of additive is Techron, whatever that is, I am not sure) and she has not had a hiccup since. There are no BP stations in my neck of the woods.

In fact I only had one issue: My GPS prep lock tumbler came right out with the key on it when unlocked - it was replaced the same day under warranty.

I did initially have issues getting the bike from first into second (and sometimes second into third) smoothly if I was not careful about preloading the shifter but after the 600-mile service, the transmission became silky-smooth; it looks like they changed the hydraulic fluid as far as I can discern from the invoice I received. Anyway, whatever they did, worked wonders on the shifting characteristics.

Thus far everything works as advertised and the bike is making me look like a pro as a rider. Just confidence-inspiring and sure-footed.

I have one of the very last '13 models; it was built at the end of July and it does not have the damper but I have thus far not felt the need for one and I have done about 40 miles of off road. Rest of my riding has been on tarmac and concrete. It is so stable, in fact, that I find myself often going way faster than the speed limit without realizing it because going at the speed limit feels like I am standing still! I did get pulled over the other day and got off with just a warning. I think the officer was more interested in the bike than he was with his duties; just kept asking me questions about it and complimenting it.

My only gripe is with the speedometer. I need binoculars to see the numbers on it! Luckily the pro computer can be made to show the speed in large digital numbers on the LCD!
Old 09-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #753
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion210 View Post
I had a similar issue at idle when I picked mine up from the dealer with whatever fuel they had put in it. The bike only had 2 miles on the clock back then. I have been using Texaco and Chevron stations' premium (their brand of additive is Techron, whatever that is, I am not sure) and she has not had a hiccup since. There are no BP stations in my neck of the woods.

In fact I only had one issue: My GPS prep lock tumbler came right out with the key on it when unlocked - it was replaced the same day under warranty.

I did initially have issues getting the bike from first into second (and sometimes second into third) smoothly if I was not careful about preloading the shifter but after the 600-mile service, the transmission became silky-smooth; it looks like they changed the hydraulic fluid as far as I can discern from the invoice I received. Anyway, whatever they did, worked wonders on the shifting characteristics.

Thus far everything works as advertised and the bike is making me look like a pro as a rider. Just confidence-inspiring and sure-footed.

I have one of the very last '13 models; it was built at the end of July and it does not have the damper but I have thus far not felt the need for one and I have done about 40 miles of off road. Rest of my riding has been on tarmac and concrete. It is so stable, in fact, that I find myself often going way faster than the speed limit without realizing it because going at the speed limit feels like I am standing still! I did get pulled over the other day and got off with just a warning. I think the officer was more interested in the bike than he was with his duties; just kept asking me questions about it and complimenting it.

My only gripe is with the speedometer. I need binoculars to see the numbers on it! Luckily the pro computer can be made to show the speed in large digital numbers on the LCD!
In the UK (not sure about other markets) BMW recommends BP fuel but it is coincidentally also the nearest filling station to me... Techron is basically a detergent which helps prevent or remove deposits in the engine. BP95 and BP Ultimate (98) also have similar additives here. Shell has what they call FuelSave for 95 octane and V-Power Nitro+ for 98 octane. It seems the BMW engines (f800 and r1200) don't like these additives for some reason, at least in my (unlucky??) experience.

The GPS lock tumbler can come apart if you turn the key without fully pushing in the locking slider, which can require quite a good shove! Seems to work effectively but could be a bit more robust I think.

Completely agree this bike masks the speed, it is SOOO hard to stick to 30mph in town, the bike just wants to go faster. I mentioned in another thread, the steering damper has absolutely zero effect on steering/handling, whether moving or stopped. The only time you know it's there is if you violently wiggle the handlebars back and forth and then you can feel a progressive fluid resistance building. I'm used to the speedometer because my F800GS also has microfiche-sized numbers but also run the digital speedometer because it's there.

I have noticed, however, that riders of the previous generation R1200GS seem to ride quite aggressively past me or absolutely crank it when accelerating from a traffic light... it's a bit odd but has happened on a number of occasions, including a muppet on an Adventure wheelie-ing off and then running a red light on Piccadilly (road) last Wednesday... There's a time and place for a bit of spirited competition but Central London in afternoon traffic doesn't really qualify...

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle

duffs screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 01:50 PM
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #754
Centurion210
Attitude Indicator

Quote:
I have noticed, however, that riders of the previous generation R1200GS seem to ride quite aggressively past me or absolutely crank it when accelerating from a traffic light... it's a bit odd but has happened on a number of occasions, including a muppet on an Adventure wheelie-ing off and then running a red light last Wednesday...
I think they are just jealous. They know all too well that you can leave them in your dust with a slight twist of your right wrist!

BTW - microfiche-sized is a great adjective to describe the speedo on the GSW!
Old 09-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #755
Ding-Dong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I've got the steering stop issue, this being its welded in the wrong place, its resulted in me having an accident when doing a slow speed left hand u-turn in Europe, the bars came to far inwards that lead to the bike going down and trapping me underneath.

Trapped my foot been sore for several days now, scratched my helmet, scratched rocker cover and crash bar, and made my holiday horrendous.
Ding-Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #756
Esell1
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:

My dealers chief mech at first said it was nothing but normal. He thinks the cruise control failure and ping are connected somehow. Something to do with the drive by wire system and fuel mapping.
the "ping" did go away temporarily with the initial fuel treatment.

some things to note.
1. the ping showed up around 1800miles
2. the ambient temp outside when riding was 90+
3. the ping has become more noticeable(louder) as the miles rack up.

Due to how long the dealer has had my bike(coming up on a month) and how little headway they have made on the issue, I'm starting to think about giving it back.

Anyone ever had their bike in the shop this long?
Esell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #757
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esell1 View Post
My dealers chief mech at first said it was nothing but normal. He thinks the cruise control failure and ping are connected somehow. Something to do with the drive by wire system and fuel mapping.
the "ping" did go away temporarily with the initial fuel treatment.

some things to note.
1. the ping showed up around 1800miles
2. the ambient temp outside when riding was 90+
3. the ping has become more noticeable(louder) as the miles rack up.

Due to how long the dealer has had my bike(coming up on a month) and how little headway they have made on the issue, I'm starting to think about giving it back.

Anyone ever had their bike in the shop this long?
Yes, a BMW LT went back to the shop after 1 month of ownership and spent the next 6 weeks there. It didn't bother me at the time because they gave me a similar bike as a loaner. Unfortunately that dealer went tits up a few years ago.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #758
Esell1
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Yes, a BMW LT went back to the shop after 1 month of ownership and spent the next 6 weeks there. It didn't bother me at the time because they gave me a similar bike as a loaner. Unfortunately that dealer went tits up a few years ago.
No loaner other than a demo F800GS that they will give me for a day.
Esell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #759
Fancywoo
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 56
The continuing Saga of the steering stop issue

My back is back out of the shop where I had my cruise finally put on. It was missed by the dealer when they ordered the bike. While there they documented the problem and contacted BMW to inform them there really was an issue (I'm sure they can tell exactly who has this issue by looking at serial numbers, BUT...)

BMW is not interested in giving me 'cash back' on the the bike and are apparently seeking a permanent solution. This I have been told. I'll be pushing for some more information over the next week.

Cheers all.
Paul

I don't want a pickle...
Fancywoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #760
Centurion210
Attitude Indicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding-Dong View Post
I've got the steering stop issue, this being its welded in the wrong place, its resulted in me having an accident when doing a slow speed left hand u-turn in Europe, the bars came to far inwards that lead to the bike going down and trapping me underneath.

Trapped my foot been sore for several days now, scratched my helmet, scratched rocker cover and crash bar, and made my holiday horrendous.
I am sorry to hear about your ordeal. It sounds like you have a very legitimate claim against BMW. Let us know how they resolve things for you. I hope you recover quickly from your injuries.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #761
Punchdude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Not necessarily a problem...but I'm wondering if someone with a GS-W can walk out in their garage and check the bolt that mounts the top of the shock to the frame. When I look in the recess at the very top of the shock on the right side of the bike...I see the bolt threads going through the frame. There is however, no nut on the end of the bolt. Perhaps it threads in through the frame and should not have a nut on the end but doesn't seem right to me.

I'd appreciate it if someone can confirm what they find. Nut or no nut? Bike has the ESA but doubt that matters. Thanks
Punchdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #762
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchdude View Post
Not necessarily a problem...but I'm wondering if someone with a GS-W can walk out in their garage and check the bolt that mounts the top of the shock to the frame. When I look in the recess at the very top of the shock on the right side of the bike...I see the bolt threads going through the frame. There is however, no nut on the end of the bolt. Perhaps it threads in through the frame and should not have a nut on the end but doesn't seem right to me.

I'd appreciate it if someone can confirm what they find. Nut or no nut? Bike has the ESA but doubt that matters. Thanks
Front or rear?
Old 09-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #763
Punchdude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
rear shock, please
Punchdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #764
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:

No nut
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #765
Fancywoo
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
rear shock, please
No nut there.

I don't want a pickle...
Fancywoo is offline   Reply With Quote