Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #76
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
Not sure if this is sincerity or sarcasm, either way, I'm enjoying the shit out of my GSW with no problems.
No this is sincere. I love GSW. I WANT ONE.
Can't buy one yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
This is why he is on my very short ignore list. He has brought nothing to this (or any of the water-cooled GS-related) conversation.

I have 1200 awesome miles on mine so far. The GSW is one of the best bikes I've ever owned, and I have owned a few.

Only empirical data will show how good or bad a product is. Conjecture, hearsay, and general interweb bullshit won't cut it.
Well since he won't read me, maybe someone can point this guy, of all the posts with specs, details I have found, videos etc., back before anybody had an actual GSW delivered - in the main GSW thread. He can ignore me all right, but not say false things about me.

Is this the Day of Haters?
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #77
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
Sorry NLS, I have you on ignore, too.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #78
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norhasken View Post
Sorry NLS, I have you on ignore, too.
I'm sorry, did NLS say something?
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #79
paco fernandez
Mexico

Oddometer: 64
6 Weeeks with my r1200gsw it is working just perfect.

www.facebook.com/r120gsw/

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk HD
paco fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #80
Go_With_The_Flow
Thread

Oddometer: 2
Wicked 2013 LC GPS Problem

Hello all,

I was fortunate enough to receive my new gs this week. All around amazing!
The problem I'm having is with the Zumo 660 and the BMW mount.
All the pins are similar to the Navigator IV on the back, I called Garmin and they told me the Navigator IV and the Zumo 660 have the same firmware and OS. The only difference is the splash screen (right from the horses mouth) and the first loading screen for quicker access.

#1 can the a complete carbon copy of the Navigator OS be copied over to the Zumo with any hidden files? (Garmin said it's not copyrighted between the 2 machines)
#2 the 1200 has the rotary dial to interface with the GPS but on the Zumo, it is not working. Any solutions???

Thanks

Flow
Go_With_The_Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #81
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
There is a difference in the Navigator IV and the 660 Garmin. Whether it is software or firmware I am not sure. Your Garmin 660 can not be made to work with the rotary wheel controller just like it will not work with the Nav IV cradle with the side buttons. Your 660 will receive power from the BMW cradle and work as usual, but as far as I know won't function with the system as far a updating the bike's clock, updating fuel range, or operate with the control wheel. There doesn't seem to be a solution if this is important to you other than getting the Navigator IV.

Sorry, this isn't what you want to hear but your conversation with Garmin was either misunderstood or the representative was misinformed.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #82
nwpa
Generally amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ridn View Post
There is a difference in the Navigator IV and the 660 Garmin. Whether it is software or firmware I am not sure. Your Garmin 660 can not be made to work with the rotary wheel controller just like it will not work with the Nav IV cradle with the side buttons. Your 660 will receive power from the BMW cradle and work as usual, but as far as I know won't function with the system as far a updating the bike's clock, updating fuel range, or operate with the control wheel. There doesn't seem to be a solution if this is important to you other than getting the Navigator IV.

Sorry, this isn't what you want to hear but your conversation with Garmin was either misunderstood or the representative was misinformed.
After spending a little time (only a week) with the NavIV I've found that I could have lived without the wheel. Maybe it'll grow on me but so far its not much of a value add.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #83
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
Not sure if this is sincerity or sarcasm, either way, I'm enjoying the shit out of my GSW with no problems.
Funny, nls has about 500 posts on the w/c gs. Does he actually ride?

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #84
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
After spending a little time (only a week) with the NavIV I've found that I could have lived without the wheel. Maybe it'll grow on me but so far its not much of a value add.
I have been pretty happy with the wheel. Very handy to shift between pages on NavIV. I wish it did more and am hopeful s/w updates will add function.
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #85
nwpa
Generally amused

Took the bike out tonight and noticed some spider cracks starting around the holes on the windscreen frame (pictures when there is light). They aren't too long -- maybe 1/2"?
Old 05-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #86
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Zumo 660 - nav iv

Playing around with these 2 units I found some interesting facts:

1 The 660 will perfectly fit and have its battery charged while on the GSW's NAV IV mount

2 The 660 wil not respond to the rotary GSW's wheel.

3 Its perfectly possible to exchange the BMW craddle for the ZUMO's 660. The advantage in doing so (in my opinion) is to gain the headphone output. Obviously the other input/ouputs available in the ZUMO's craddle will become operational as well.

The NAV IV will operate exactly like the ZUMO 660 while on a the ZUMO's craddle.

4 The BMW's cradddle has 2 output plugs. However, only one ( the 3 wire one) is connected to the bike's wiring. The other plug ( 2 wire) is left unconnected.

The 3 wires are: power positive (red), power negative (black) and data (red with green or brown stripe )

The 2 wires on the unconnected plug are for mono audio output being white for the positive and brown for the negative.

For those interested, its possible to add a wired headphone output to the NAV IV's BMW craddle, however to do so the wheel control wire has to be disconected as when this wire is connected only bluetooth output wil exist. Also to generate a headphoe otput 3 wires are necessary: the brown, white and a third wire which will become the now unused data wire after a craddle wiring switchover which is g=fairly easy to do although its delicate work.

Personnaly I am more concerned in having a wired headphone output than the wheel control which, personally, I find its functions of little, if any, practical use.

I think these findings are important to users that demand a wired headphone output and to NAZ IV's users that do not have a ZUMO 660 craddle. Furthermore, the ZUMO 660 is discontinued and therefore may be substituted for the NAV IV and still allow for the wired headphone output.

If anyone is interested in modifing the NAV IV's craddle, please write to me at andre@avaprojecta.com.br and I will explain how to do it.

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:20 AM   #87
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
Since you checked on the wiring, can I ask something?
The wheel wiring... does it go directly to the cradle somehow? Does it go somewhere else first?

What I am trying to figure out is:
a) If the wheel not working with 660 is only a firmware/software issue.
b) If the wheel goes to bike's own "brain" and is possible they will add functions for it irrelevant to the GPS.

Can you (or anybody) check this out?
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:54 AM   #88
Go_With_The_Flow
Thread

Oddometer: 2
Question 2013 1200 gs LC GPS problem

I want to thank 'gr8ridn, ATG, NWPA' and others who have responded. Has anyone tried to copy the full OS from a Navigator IV and transfer all data to the Zumo 660??
As Garmin stated, the units are identical and all the pins are active on the units.
Im wondering if it could be resolved with a simple transfer of all the OS?!
Go_With_The_Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:55 AM   #89
catch
Deutscher

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
That's an interesting point! The device.xml and the system.xml in the root folder "Garmin" of the Zumo should be compared with the files on a N4! I am not sure but somehow I think the zumo could be converted to a N4 by telling the firmware it's on an BMW Navigator.

By the way...hello everybody. I am new to this forum and expecting delivery of my new Wasserkopf (Waterhead) end of June. :-)
catch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #90
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Since you checked on the wiring, can I ask something?
The wheel wiring... does it go directly to the cradle somehow? Does it go somewhere else first?

What I am trying to figure out is:
b) If the wheel goes to bike's own "brain" and is possible they will add functions for it irrelevant to the GPS.

Can you (or anybody) check this out?
Hi NLS;

From what I could find out there are 3 wires out of the rotary switch. They run straight to the main electronic module located under the rider seat.

I believe that the bike's CPU send its commands to the GPS through a single wire, the third wire on the triple wire plug.

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote