Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #916
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post
OK.
As it was explained to me...it goes like this.

BMW M/C put out a service bulletin within the last 10 days that stated that the GPS can-buss system needed to be re-calibrated and a part of that is the recommendation that when unplugging electronics from the OEM GPS plug that the bike be running so that the can-buss system knows, prior to shutdown, that there is nothing there to energize.

Otherwise the can-buss system will try to energize that plug while making it's normal rounds and if it doesn't find it initially it'll keep trying.
Which after a couple days uses enough of the battery that the bike won't start.

I somewhat understand the point and I'll certainly follow their directions although I still think that having to remove the GPS if the bike is going to sit for any length of time is a stupid requirement.

It sounds like the problem happens when the GPS is removed after the bike is turned off? Normally my GPS stays on the bike -- was your battery dieing because the GPS was removed? When I do remove the GPS the bike is always off. Interesting....
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #917
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
It sounds like the problem happens when the GPS is removed after the bike is turned off? Normally my GPS stays on the bike -- was your battery dieing because the GPS was removed? When I do remove the GPS the bike is always off. Interesting....
I would like clarification, too.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #918
Otherworld
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Hmmm... the legendary BMW batter issue. This happened on my 2012 F650GS. I attached a GPS to the can-bus, everything ran fine for 3 months. Then one day, dead battery. Took the bike in (under warranty), dealer replaced the battery, then 5 days later battery dead again. Service didnt think it was the canbus (because its supposed to shut off after 1 min). I decided this was too much of an ongoing issue and purchased the GSW to fix the problem -lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post
OK.
As it was explained to me...it goes like this.

BMW M/C put out a service bulletin within the last 10 days that stated that the GPS can-buss system needed to be re-calibrated and a part of that is the recommendation that when unplugging electronics from the OEM GPS plug that the bike be running so that the can-buss system knows, prior to shutdown, that there is nothing there to energize.

Otherwise the can-buss system will try to energize that plug while making it's normal rounds and if it doesn't find it initially it'll keep trying.
Which after a couple days uses enough of the battery that the bike won't start.

I somewhat understand the point and I'll certainly follow their directions although I still think that having to remove the GPS if the bike is going to sit for any length of time is a stupid requirement.

PS The bike had 12.66 volts when I picked it up.
As opposed to the 12.4 volts when they initially warranted it.
And the 13.1 volts the bike had when I tested it with the new replacement battery.

Now hopefully I can move my butt out of this less than desirable thread.
Otherworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #919
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Wait....in order to unlock the factory GPS you need the key in the bracket. So, how do you keep the engine running while disconnecting the GPS?

I'm confused....any chance we civilians can get a copy of the bulletin from the mother ship?
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #920
deacon51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
They give you two keys....
Duh
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #921
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 7,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
Wait....in order to unlock the factory GPS you need the key in the bracket. So, how do you keep the engine running while disconnecting the GPS?

I'm confused....any chance we civilians can get a copy of the bulletin from the mother ship?

Maybe..they over engineered the son of a bitch....

They can't make a headlight work..now they can't get the electric system to shut off when they take the key out...

Of course now..in standard BMW response.."idiot..you're doing it wrong..."

VEGASGSA screwed with this post 10-09-2013 at 07:26 AM Reason: spelling
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:02 AM   #922
Dangerous hamster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Interseting..the joints are non servicable..they can not be greased...wonder what they did really...
Somebody else has said that. I'll maybe ask the question next time I go in
Dangerous hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #923
GP1200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
You can use a syringe with a needle. It'll be kind of hit or miss but may add some grease in there. It'll probably fail sooner than it should regardless. You should request a new driveshaft. Good luck with that , though ! My dealer told me they don't like doing warranty work because they get paid a lot less than non warranty and they struggle with red tape trying to get things done. Makes for super duper customer service.
GP1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #924
Fancywoo
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 64
Smokin'

Does your bike smoke (a lot) after it has been sitting for a while--and on the side stand. I know what is happening there, happens all the time in my '76, I just didn't think the tolerances would allow for that to happen on this beastie. After 5 days I made a hell of a cloud.

I don't want a pickle...
Fancywoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #925
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
Well the chief mechanic I know told me to always ignite the bike on center stand (or me on it), or else it will burn oil.

What this has to do with tolerances?
Much oil is on the left side not in its best viscosity temp. Then the engine violently starts and the oil pump has to look for it. :)
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #926
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Well the chief mechanic I know told me to always ignite the bike on center stand (or me on it), or else it will burn oil.

What this has to do with tolerances?
Much oil is on the left side not in its best viscosity temp. Then the engine violently starts and the oil pump has to look for it. :)
I'd say the chief could be right. Ignite that bike and ALL problems are solved :-)
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #927
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
I'd say the chief could be right. Ignite that bike and ALL problems are solved :-)
This is marginally funny. Congrats.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:54 AM   #928
Double_U
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Started a new topic, but as an other inmate stated, it might be better placed here.

Since delivery I'm hearing an intermittent 'click' at the right side of the engine, only when at idle rpm.

I took it to the dealer twice. At first they said it was normal and that the LC engine just made more mechanical noise than the previous generation. When I took it in again, they heard the click too. A mechanic from BMW was contacted by phone and he apparently said that it was the 'decompressor' switching. It shouldn't, but it doesn't hurt either, according to BMW.

I know in the Netherlands at least 4 (!) complete engines were replaced because of this, but now it seems that at least some of the new engines have the same click.

I really hope it can and will be fixed in time, hopefully with a simple software update.

Drove 8500km with it and bought april this year.

Anyone recognising this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybob View Post
You have first hand knowledge of this, or just "hearsay" ?

If you're convinced this is a real issue, post it under "GS-LC Problems".

But I just don't hear anything out of the ordinary.
1st Hand knowledge of 1 out of these 4.
Double_U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:30 AM   #929
herrdirektor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
My dealer said something similar. We'll see next year when I reach a next service.
herrdirektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #930
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_U View Post
Started a new topic, but as an other inmate stated, it might be better placed here.
Is the sound at about 18 seconds that of a Jap sportsbike that it's spat out of the exhaust?