User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #1171
Surveyor1953
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
2014 - Water Pump

Hello on CA-33. Great road and I'm heading to Scheideck for lunch in a few minutes.

I really hope that Ventura BMW gets this squared away as soon as they can and I am not disappointed with them. They've been great so far. The issue is really with BMW Motorrad and their poor parts distribution.

That is the inexcusable part of the complaint that I have. Mid-November for a part and that is looking like a big if based on what some of the postings have shown. I have owned many different bikes over the years and even my Harley took 3-4 days at worst for warranty parts.

Just hoping that this is the only glitch that I have with this GS. The GS, by the way, is an absolute gas to ride. Look forward to an early resolution on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojai GS guy View Post
Ok, so what's the real deal here? It seems everybody gets all wound up over a few guys having issues. Nothing is perfect, ever. Ive had four very nice BMW's, the last one an RT brand new off the floor. I rode it 200 yards the day I bought it and the Computer took a dump--it wouldn't restart. I blew a mouth gasket, called the dealer, they came and got it. It turned out to be a crappy Chinese made circuit board they knew might be a problem. They replaced it that day, made sure I was happy, bent over backwards to ensure we were good and sent me on my way. I rode that bike for another 28,000 miles without one issue, none, zip, zilch. Best bike I have ever had or ridden.

Now, I am one of the guys waiting for a new GS LC. I hear its on its way and will be here in the next couple weeks. I hope I dont have any of these issues, especially the water pump problem. But I know shit like that happens with mechanical things. I also know the guys at Ventura BMW will make sure I am happy, because they want to keep me as customer; heck, people who buy BMW bikes have money, lots of it. So, I am resigned to the fact that I really want that new bike, maybe there will be an issue with a few things, but they will get fixed under warranty. After that it will be smooth sailing for tens of thousands of miles.

Im not into bad mouthing BMW because a few issues have surfaced on a few bikes. We buy these bikes at a premium price because we like them and trust their mechanical ability.

So, I wait.
Surveyor1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #1172
Smoke Eater 3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
My wet head is fine.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #1173
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,570
[QUOTE=Ojai GS guy;22669924]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post

Which BMW do you have now? Any issues?
'08 GSA
Transmission replaced at 7800, this one now, not looking good..took two weeks to get approved, two more to get the box.
Front rotors at 39,000 +/-
Driveshaft at 39,000 +/-
Too many headlights to mention PIAA cut me off
Slave Cylinder
EDIT 3 OEM Rear Shocks..Warranty..
EDIT 2..Forgot..Transmission mount broken.
I had a GREAT dealer in Vegas..deal on the rotors...they warbled out around the bobbins?? He got Driveshaft replaced under good faith warranty..

Just replaced the Slave..so I'm good with that..

My '05 was solid..but only had a year..the wifes GS is good, other than the cracked tank..which is a multi year issue BMW can't get dealt with..

Mine has 80,000 now..and I love it..knock on wood, no final issues, no fuel strip issues..the fuel strip thing I find strange..guy on the MOA site has had three sets go bad on one RT..a '10 model..?? No rhyme or reason to it I guess..

If you take the time to read these threads..You'll see that I love my bike..and can't really see dumping it for the better Tenere..but, I'm no longer drinking at the trough either..it's a motorcycle..and as recently shown and posted here in this thread a few pages back, the most un-reliable motorcycle made..lower than Harley...that's sad..

I love the feel of it..and it has been a companion for a long time..I'm currently refreshing it..it deserves it..it's brought me MANY smiles..

[QUOTE=JM;22670051]
Quote:
You had to ask that didn't you? VegasGSA.....be gental with the n00b
Since you asked..I was nice..

VEGASGSA screwed with this post 10-30-2013 at 02:11 PM
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #1174
JM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
[QUOTE=VEGASGSA;22670533]
Quote:

Slave Cylinder

Just replaced the Slave..so I'm good with that..
When did you do that job?

Postponing retirement one farkle at a time!
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #1175
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

[QUOTE=JM;22670710]
Quote:

When did you do that job?
What the hell is goin on with the quote stuff???

Last nite.. hoping it fixes the engagement point problem I was having..it certainly feels different..but..since the rear shock is out to New Jersey to get fixed..and I don't want to put the old blown OEM in..It's just sitting..

Oh Yeah..OEM shocks..need to update my earlier post..
Old 10-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #1176
Surveyor1953
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
2014 - Water Pump Resolved

Great news from Ventura BMW!

They replaced my water pump and I pick the bike up today! Great shop and much thanks to Howard and the BMW rep he went through to get this done.

Much better...much, MUCH better than mid-November
Surveyor1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #1177
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Old 10-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #1178
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrich View Post
You can fix the gas cap problem yourself. You may not want to!
Look for an o-ring that is not quite as fat. My BMW dealer had one on the shelf that fit an older bike, maybe the oil pump seal for a older boxer. Re-assemble the gas cap using the thinner o-ring and the stupid cap will stay together and seal just fine.
My new cap took 4 weeks to arrive from Germany. The old cap with the thin o-ring stayed together the entire 4 weeks. The new cap has stayed together. I think someone at the factory is using the wrong part.
gsrich, Thanks for this info. I was able to go to San Diego BMW where Geoff in parts found the correct o-ring. Seems to work just fine. Seals the cap and tank without putting to much pressure to have it all fall apart. In case anyone needs this fix, here's the p/n 11147722366.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #1179
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,178
BMW is updating the maintenance schedule for the new GSW, as we all know there is no alternator belt change required on this bike but they are going to require replacing the water-pump every 12,000 miles as part of the scheduled maintenance, this is of course, if your water pump lasts that long.
Reminds me of my old KTM 950 Adventure.

Breakfast first, lunch second and safety third.
I'm a staunch believer in MTGMTT, don't take unnecessary chances too often.

JetSpeed screwed with this post 10-30-2013 at 01:58 PM
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #1180
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
BMW is updating the maintenance schedule for the new GSW, as we all know there is alternator belt change required on this bike but they are going to require replacing the water-pump every 12,000 miles as part of the scheduled maintenance, this is of course, if your water pump lasts that long.
You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding....

Settles it for me..I won't be looking into a GSA any longer...

That's two times a year for me....
Old 10-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #1181
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding....

Settles it for me..I won't be looking into a GSA any longer...

That's two times a year for me....

I'm kidding, but that is what KTM did after discovering the LC8 water pumps crapped out in short order, they turned the pumps into a scheduled maintenance item and required replacement every 10k miles.

Breakfast first, lunch second and safety third.
I'm a staunch believer in MTGMTT, don't take unnecessary chances too often.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #1182
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
I'm kidding, but that is what KTM did after discovering the LC8 water pumps crapped out in short order, they turned the pumps into a scheduled maintenance item and required replacement every 10k miles.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #1183
deacon51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
Gas cap just fell apart in my hands. You can see where the o-ring that give tension to the cap so it doesn't leak is too thick. How the hell does BMW screw up something so simple as a gas cap

I got mine back together and it seems to be holding. Dealership said it took six weeks to get one in for the last guy, will give me a call.
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #1184
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,645
Quote:
BMW is updating the maintenance schedule for the new GSW, as we all know there is no alternator belt change required on this bike but they are going to require replacing the water-pump every 12,000 miles as part of the scheduled maintenance, this is of course, if your water pump lasts that long.

Regards, Paul
Old 10-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #1185
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
So my GSW went into the dealer after losing power and displaying the check engine icons.

Dealer just called to say Left Throttle Body sensor. After I parked it, started up and all ok and the fault has not repeated for them.

They started going on about the Canbus system and how I may have contributed to it by splicing in relays for my GPS and splicing into the indicators and brakes for my Admore LED lights on my Givi top box. Not that they we saying there is a direct link to the problem.

Something I forgot about was the night before the problem popped up I was fitting some new Wunderlich handlebar adjuster levers and dropped a washer into the bike, I never recovered that washer, could it be lodged in somewhere causing an issue, I wonder.

Codes are now reset and the bike is ready to pickup.

2013 R1200 GS WC
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote