User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 05:39 AM   #106
At adventure
AB

Oddometer: 132
Front wheel vibration

Anybody else getting a front wheel vibration through the bike (handlebars etc) above 80km. I have spoked rims with Metzler Tourance tyres. The vibration only started at 1500km and the bike has now done 3200km. Only really noticeable on smooth roads in a straight line. I have played around with the tyre pressure and it is worse at lower PSI. I also noticed I have two balancing weights inside the wheel. Not sure is this is normal? I have also closely inspected the tyre rotating it whilst on the middle stand and it looks perfect!? Dealer tells me it is within normal tolerance but I think not! Trying not to be anal but it definitely worse than the videos of other GWCs I have seen. All advice, suggestions or comments welcome.
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #107
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by At adventure View Post
Anybody else getting a front wheel vibration through the bike (handlebars etc) above 80km. I have spoked rims with Metzler Tourance tyres. The vibration only started at 1500km and the bike has now done 3200km. Only really noticeable on smooth roads in a straight line. I have played around with the tyre pressure and it is worse at lower PSI. I also noticed I have two balancing weights inside the wheel. Not sure is this is normal? I have also closely inspected the tyre rotating it whilst on the middle stand and it looks perfect!? Dealer tells me it is within normal tolerance but I think not! Trying not to be anal but it definitely worse than the videos of other GWCs I have seen. All advice, suggestions or comments welcome.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887321

There is a thread on that. And it is rather common.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #108
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
This has been a very interesting thread. As a K1600 owner our switch gear problems increased in hot weather. BMW has come out with new upgraded switches for the K1600s. Hopefully they will do the same for the LCs.
I am thinking of getting a Zumo 665 instead of the Nav 4 on my bike, has anyone done this and are there any problems?
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #109
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
This has been a very interesting thread. As a K1600 owner our switch gear problems increased in hot weather. BMW has come out with new upgraded switches for the K1600s. Hopefully they will do the same for the LCs.
I am thinking of getting a Zumo 665 instead of the Nav 4 on my bike, has anyone done this and are there any problems?
I was wondering if heat might be an issue. Mine failed this weekend on my first 85F day. The bike was two weeks old and garage-kept, never exposed to any moisture at all.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #110
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
I was wondering if heat might be an issue. Mine failed this weekend on my first 85F day. The bike was two weeks old and garage-kept, never exposed to any moisture at all.
Mine failed after driving 2 days in cold and humid conditions (rain and fog at 8 to 12 degrees C).
Old 06-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #111
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,551
I've had mine for about 515 miles and its back at the dealer getting its "running-in service". I would suggest all those US based riders lodge a complaint with the NHTSA here. These switches failing can be a safety issue and BMW should take it seriously by modifying the switch. I don't want to take my bike in repeatedly for service if the switches repeatedly fail.

Form is here
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #112
nwpa
Generally amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
I've had mine for about 515 miles and its back at the dealer getting its "running-in service". I would suggest all those US based riders lodge a complaint with the NHTSA here. These switches failing can be a safety issue and BMW should take it seriously by modifying the switch. I don't want to take my bike in repeatedly for service if the switches repeatedly fail.

Form is here
Rumor has it the part has already changed (I haven't independently confirmed that so I'm simply repeating a rumor, but that's what the internet is for so...)

I'll let the dealer replace the switch and see how it goes. If the replacement fails I'll consider escalating.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #113
nwpa
Generally amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post

I have not had any switch issues.
Oh now you did it. You've tickled the gods of fate....looking forward to your post tomorrow night
Old 06-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #114
The Last Cowboy
Gettin' by

Oddometer: 133
I was riding the other day and the orange warning light came on. In the lower right of the screen it read LAMPR. I had a fast flash when I signaled left.

After I stopped, before I shut it down, I confirmed that the right rear indicator wasn't flashing. I shrugged it off as a defective bulb and figured I would ride to the dealer later in the day to rectify it.

When I started the bike again, the warning light was off and the indicator worked as it should.

I will bring this up at the 600 mile/1000 km service. It seems like an internal switch or circuit problem rather than a bad bulb. I don't know if the computer on this bike will store that error code or not. If not I'm sure the answer will be that the problem can not be duplicated.

Hopefully it was a one time issue. If there is a defective left switch cluster I'm sure BMW will figure it out and fix it. There is too much riding on the success of the is bike. This is their volume leader, cash cow, golden goose etc....

That minor issue aside, this is an outstanding machine and I'm enjoying the hell out of it!
2007 DL1000 Vstrom
The Last Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #115
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
Oh now you did it. You've tickled the gods of fate....looking forward to your post tomorrow night

LOL, true dat!
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 06-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #116
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Cowboy View Post
If there is a defective left switch cluster I'm sure BMW will figure it out and fix it. There is too much riding on the success of the is bike. This is their volume leader, cash cow, golden goose etc....

That minor issue aside, this is an outstanding machine and I'm enjoying the hell out of it!
I'd like to believe you, but I know people that had their fuel strips in their oil heads replaced 3-5 times, so recent history would suggest they might be more interested in milking the cash cow instead of protecting it.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 06-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #117
The Last Cowboy
Gettin' by

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
I'd like to believe you, but I know people that had their fuel strips in their oil heads replaced 3-5 times, so recent history would suggest they might be more interested in milking the cash cow instead of protecting it.
There used to be no meaningful competition in this segment. Things have changed in recent years.
2007 DL1000 Vstrom
The Last Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #118
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Cowboy View Post
There used to be no meaningful competition in this segment. Things have changed in recent years.
That is a good point. Well, I'm hoping its reliable. I know its a blast to ride!
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 06-04-2013, 02:18 AM   #119
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
That is a good point. Well, I'm hoping its reliable. I know its a blast to ride!
My faulty switchgear started working again last night. Neithertheless the garage will change it today.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #120
Aggroman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Hi guys. I dunno if this is the place to put up this post but here goes. My chrome pipes are beginning to discolour and it is starting from the too end where it connects to the cylinder head. Is there a way to make it shinning again and prevent future discolouration? The colour is somewhat brownish in colour. :(

Live to ride
Aggroman is offline   Reply With Quote