Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #121
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggroman View Post
Hi guys. I dunno if this is the place to put up this post but here goes. My chrome pipes are beginning to discolour and it is starting from the too end where it connects to the cylinder head. Is there a way to make it shinning again and prevent future discolouration? The colour is somewhat brownish in colour. :(

Live to ride
Stainless not chrome. Its normal on the single wall pipes. Most guys let it go. Some keep at it with polish and elbow grease.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #122
treg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Hi guys. I dunno if this is the place to put up this post but here goes. My chrome pipes are beginning to discolour and it is starting from the too end where it connects to the cylinder head. Is there a way to make it shinning again and prevent future discolouration? The colour is somewhat brownish in colour. :(

Live to ride
Look at Jet Hot coatings. The have different colors plus a chrome look, and have a lifetime warranty against discoloration.
treg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #123
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:

Live to ride
This is typical of all BMW exhaust pipes/boxer engines. This is due to the reaction of oxygen and high heat.

If you compare to earlier GSs you will notice that the pipes of the new water cooled GS don't get as dark and also the color change affects a considerably smaller area, just a few inches from the cylinder heads,

This is due to a lower engine temperature if compared to earlier air/oil cooled engines.

This effect could be hidden if double walled pipes were used, however these would be not only quite more expensive but also heavier.

In spite of its unesthetic appearance it become a GS characteristic.

It is possible to remove the brownish coloror or at least discolour it somewhat, either using acids or a through polishing it, however consider it is a lot of work and sooon, very soon, it will all come back negating all the work put in.

In short: Just get used to it...

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #124
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
Stainless not chrome. Its normal on the single wall pipes. Most guys let it go. Some keep at it with polish and elbow grease.
The exhaust pipes are made of stainless steel which is then copper plated and finally chrome plated. First, you'll see a nice amber yellow then the blue as more heat is applied. At night in your garage, you'll see the pipes glow a dark cherry red with the bike warmed up and idling. Hint, don't allow your boxer engine to idle hot for long periods.

As mentioned, having the pipes ceramic coated will eliminate discoloration but the plating must first be stripped.

Early on, I polished my pipes to like new but, they soon got ahead of my maintenance and now they are not very pretty.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #125
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
It is possible to remove the brownish coloror or at least discolour it somewhat, either using acids or a through polishing it, however consider it is a lot of work and sooon, very soon, it will all come back negating all the work put in.
I would not recommend acids to clean BMW exhaust pipes. The bright chromium plating on the pipes is porous and acid will ruin the copper plating under the chrome ending in a mess.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:31 AM   #126
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
I would not recommend acids to clean BMW exhaust pipes. The bright chromium plating on the pipes is porous and acid will ruin the copper plating under the chrome ending in a mess.
I did not know that the pipes are chromed stainless steel. Are you positive on this ?

If so, what is the reasoning in apllying a chrome finish to stainless steel ?

Andre
Old 06-08-2013, 04:37 AM   #127
Aggroman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Thanks allz... I guess I will just live with it.. :( but will it cause any problems in future like replacing the entire piping because it rust n all???

Live to ride
Aggroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:41 AM   #128
nwpa
Generally amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
The exhaust pipes are made of stainless steel which is then copper plated and finally chrome plated. First, you'll see a nice amber yellow then the blue as more heat is applied. At night in your garage, you'll see the pipes glow a dark cherry red with the bike warmed up and idling. Hint, don't allow your boxer engine to idle hot for long periods.

As mentioned, having the pipes ceramic coated will eliminate discoloration but the plating must first be stripped.

Early on, I polished my pipes to like new but, they soon got ahead of my maintenance and now they are not very pretty.
Based on the posters description they don't sound like the Chrome upgrade.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:51 AM   #129
monoi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I don't know if its normal, but above 50ish mph, when decelarating, there is quite a lot of vibration coming through the running gear. It feels like a bearing not as tight as it should be. I AM NOT saying that it is the case, just that's how I would describe it.

Is that a common thing?

I also find that the front wheel makes quite a lot of running gear noise.

That said, I love it.
monoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:53 AM   #130
fennel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoi View Post
I don't know if its normal, but above 50ish mph, when decelarating, there is quite a lot of vibration coming through the running gear. It feels like a bearing not as tight as it should be. I AM NOT saying that it is the case, just that's how I would describe it.

Is that a common thing?

I also find that the front wheel makes quite a lot of running gear noise.

That said, I love it.
Same here. Especially decelarating at the 2nd gear.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
fennel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #131
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
I also notice the gear noise but think that it may be normal for this bike. Having the big hole around the steering head lets a lot of noise come up to your ears. This is the first boxer that I have owned but if it is like my other BMWs it will smooth out around 18000 miles.
The GS is the most fun bike that I have owned.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #132
monoi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I meant front wheel bearing noise, because when freewheeling the noise is still there so it is not the engine.

It is very noticeable, and I shall mention it at the 1st service.
monoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #133
Chirozilla
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Left control cluster failed at 3900 miles

Left control cluster failed at 3900 miles. Worked this morning on way to work but not o way home. Got wet Saturday night before this started and temps now in the 90's. replacement won't be in Germany till 6-19 and I leave for a ten day ride in the Smokey Mts the 28. I'm screwed!! Anyone know of a temporary fix for this problem ?
Chirozilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #134
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirozilla View Post
Left control cluster failed at 3900 miles. Worked this morning on way to work but not o way home. Got wet Saturday night before this started and temps now in the 90's. replacement won't be in Germany till 6-19 and I leave for a ten day ride in the Smokey Mts the 28. I'm screwed!! Anyone know of a temporary fix for this problem ?
Please see post #26 on page 2 of this topic.

I implemented the solution I report there and its working fine eversince.

Best of luck,

Andre
Old 06-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #135
nwpa
Generally amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirozilla View Post
Based on reports it doesn't seem water or temperature related. When my cruise refuses to go on I just manhandle the switch like crazy back and forth until it starts to behave, whether by coincidence or not.

I'm not sure if you'd see success opening the switch and spraying it up, but if its a total fail right now it might be worth a shot.