User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
XxdrpxX OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Tripping around Vegas

Figured I need to give a proper introduction, and at least document a recent day trip I made with my Dad. I am a Vegas native. Ive been riding since I was 14. My dad was a racer growing up, competing in Baja, and the mint. He decided two wheels was too dangerous, so I had three wheelers, four wheelers, etc. Eventually I tricked my step dad into buying me a yamaha yz 125, and started teaching myself how to ride.

My dad realized that there was no stopping me, so might as well see what I was made of. On my 125, my dad saddled up on his 650 tt, and we set out from mammoth creek, Utah to panguitch lake all on fire break trails, and back roads. Once we stopped for a little lunch, I realized I had no kick starter on my bike. I had lost it somewhere on the trail. It was then that my Dad looked at me and sighed. "You know I tried to push you as hard as I could on this ride. I wanted you to get scared, and give this up. Guess all i succeeded in was watching you out pace your bike."

This is Assay Knoll where I learned to ride in Utah.

I now own a 2003 WR450F, 2007 Harley Roadking, 2010 Harley CVO street glide, 2010 KTM 690 enduro, and a 2013 Ural Patrol. I convinced my dad to buy a 2012 BMW GS650F to do some trail riding with me. He needs a bike with a much lower seat height. His bike of choice racing was a Husqavarna 360 automatic. If your not familiar it has a crazy lever on the handle bars to engage the drive. If your rpms were to high, you had better be holding on tight.

In December we set out on our first long ride together. We would ride from Vegas via I-15 towards Logandale. Just past logandale we would travel a very long dirt road to the Elgin one room school house road, and stop in Panaca.

My dad all geared up, and ready to keep it shiny side up

Heres my orange beast. I have it set up with tourtech saddle bags. Since this trip I have added rally raid tanks, rally raid gas cap. I have replaced the fuel pump ca-cycleworks upgraded fuel pump, as my oem took a dump with less than 1000 miles on it. My renazco seat is actually being me as I type this. Also swapped out the pirelli tires, as I was losing knobs fast, and went with some TKC80's which have been awesome.

Heres the turn off from I-15, which takes us towards the Mormon mesa, and the Elgin schoolhouse.

This sand would provide a very challenging experience for my dad. Even though he used to race, he now second guesses his riding abilities cause of his age. There was roughly a 2 mile stretch that had some really deep ruts, and this wonderfully chalky sand.

Oh snap, wtf. First ride out, and the center bolt sheared. Good thing our saddle bags werent full.

Lots of ground to cover, we better get rolling.

Pretty barren out here, and not much to really graze on. Would hate to be the farmer having to trailer the hay out here each day. The get water from natural springs, and guzzlers in the area. Lots of home made water tanks in this part of Nevada.

Are you sure we go right?

Trying to find the old train depot we came to a dead end. Guess the bmw wanted to take a nap.

Fall colors were still in effect.

Old towns, old mines, and old railways.

This was one of the best parts of the trip. The river was overflowing, and completely went over the road way. If you look closely you can see my dads head light. I made him look like a champ . Wish I had a photographer for when I crossed.

We finally arrived in Panaca. Time to relax, and refuel.

Looks like someone was here before us.

Thanks for looking.
XxdrpxX is offline   Reply With Quote