Wee-Strom Ergo's Kinda Suck

HappyForNow screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 05:53 PM
HappyForNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Sharps-Nut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Weird

I bought a low miles new to me 2004 WEE. I came from a klr and the strom is a new adventure only had it a few weeks. I read a lot of posts about the worthless windshield and to me it is wonderful, compared to my 09 klr. At 6'2" I am not what one would consider short. Not perfect but buffeting was minimal, I raised it and it to the tallest height and it improved nothing.

The peg position I sorta hear you. On my 240 mile ride home I got a bit crampy feeling and my knees bugged me. At the end of 240 miles I still felt better than the klr would have left me. Mine was claimed to have a gel seat but never having seen a stock seat I cant tell you what brand or even if it is a gel, but its a better couch than a stock klr. I am hoping to install hiway pegs on the swmotech crash bars that the PO already installed. My main complaint on the bike is it sorta forces the body into a C shape, bad posture. As a 40 something I have to force myself to set up straight then the wind is more noticed.

Its not a perfect bike but for 4k for a near perfect farkled example with under 9k on the clock it was just to cheap not own as a road bike. I plan on keeping the klr for more offroad oriented work. THe only bmw I ever rode was an f650 and it did not fit my lanky body at all and had way to little ground clearance to impress me. Best of luck with your new stead. SN
Sharps-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
bete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
I don't think I've ever had a bike that I didn't need to change something to make it more comfy, good thing is it's all eazy fixs, lower pegs, new seat, bar backs, new wind screen, just make it work for your size and shape. bete
Old 05-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,864
Kinda a bummer that the new weestrom can't trade seats with the DL1000 like the older wees could. The 1000 seat is a little taller and helps with the comfort and the knee bend.

Take off the windshield and see if that helps at all. I tried all the popular solutions, including the madstad but the best for me is no shield at all.

A BMW is worth the cost if you think it is. The new ones are not my cup of tea.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Get some peg lowering brackets from Richland Rick, a seat from seatconcepts.com, or send the seat to spencer. The windscreen is a personal taste, my stocker works pretty good for me. And a set of handlebars/barbacks.

I put a 240 day on mine today with little effort, after a 150 miler yesterday. Now the bike has 600 miles on it.

I have not done any more whatsoever to my new bike, but that short list is all it needs for my ergo's
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyForNow View Post
I am starting to think that BMW's are maybe worth the cost.
That's ONLY because you haven't spent an hour in the stock saddle of a GS
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
Get some peg lowering brackets from Richland Rick, a seat from seatconcepts.com, or send the seat to spencer. The windscreen is a personal taste, my stocker works pretty good for me. And a set of handlebars/barbacks.

I put a 240 day on mine today with little effort, after a 150 miler yesterday. Now the bike has 600 miles on it.

I have not done any more whatsoever to my new bike, but that short list is all it needs for my ergo's
http://www.adventuretech.biz/footpeg...ering-kit.html
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Never owned a bike i didn't have to mod.

That said, you also have to remeber that your body has to get use to the bike. By that I mean, you have to get use to using certain muscles to support your body while riding, takes some time to achieve the right posture.

I got handle bar risers and a footpeg lowering kit for my 2012 strom and it really made the bike more relaxed and more comfy. However, i do miss the more sporty position, even through I don't miss knee pain. I now wonder if the knee pain would have gone away with more riding...

I do agree that Suzuki seats do have a strange u bend, so yes you will have to mod the seat. I didn't like the seat when first I got my strom, but I just kept riding it and now I don't even notice that the seat sucks. I'm not sure what happened, but butt pain went away. Maybe I broke in the seat? Who knows...

Just keep riding, you gotta get to know her. Then you can address issues that just don't go away
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:00 AM   #9
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,130
Quote:
Is it just me, or could the 2012 Wee-Strom ergonomics use some work? Don't get me wrong, for the money, I still think it is a great bike.

But......

The peg position is terrible on the knees. After 100 miles my knees are on fire! I never had a problem with this when I rode my KLR or my Sportster.

The seat is shaped for people with a "U" shaped ass. For the rest of us who have a wide "W" shaped ass, this is a problem. I never knew that I had an ass bone until I put 200 miles on this seat.

Why did they even decide to put that POS windshield on this bike!!! It should have been called a head ache machine! No matter what position I put it in, it still makes my head buffet like a monster in a early 2000's horror flick.

I´ve got a 2007 and 2012 Wee right now, and had a 2009 before... gotta say the -12 is an improvement in almost every way. Regarding ergonomics, wind management and stock seat are notably better for me. Generally the newer model seems to get much fewer such complaints compared to the older model. Stock seat to footpeg distance, now that you mention, I agree its shorter than you would assume on this kind of bike. I´m fine with it (I´m 184 cms), but if I was any taller, I can see it could become a problem. A higher seat is available for the new Wee from Suzuki, that might cure this problem. I haven´t moved the footpegs, but that should also be possible, but if you lower them a lot, they could touch the ground on cornering more easily.

Regards ´buffeting´, I put a very short ´sport screen´ on my 2009, and I liked it a lot. I´m sure that kind of setup would not satisfy everyone, because there was a lot of wind going around my helmet, but the trick was the air moved straight, it was not turbulent. With the 2012 I´m keeping the stock screen at lowest position, and personally have not had any problems with the wind. That just goes to show, that buffeting can be a very individual problem. Even if two people are exactly the same height, the other might have a little longer legs, and shorter back than the other, or vice versa, and so their helmets might sit at a little bit different heigths behind the screen. Very little changes may have a big effect.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 04:20 AM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:27 AM   #10
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,527
could your buffeting be caused by your helmet? I wear a Shoe and so far I have experienced ZERO buffeting at all and i've repositioned my windscreen through all positions, settling on the center. I always replace the stock seat with a corbin on every bike i've owned for the last 10 years--except for the goldwing. the seat on it was ok and very ok for the wife, but everything else about the goldwiing sucked.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
BobbyLee666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
I am starting to think that BMW's are maybe worth the cost.
Don't for a second think that owning a BMW will automatically give you the luxury (perfect ergonomics, wind protection, etc.) you are looking for. There have been numerous persons who complain about those things on their bikes. More expensive does not always mean better.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,130
Every ´ADV´ bike, that has an upright riding position, and a relatively large fairing, is prone to wind issues. But not everyone has those issues, as there are many variables at play.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:26 AM   #13
surlywill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Ergonomics are an easy fix. For me the peg hight bothered me at first but with the addition of a enduro guardian skid plate and highway pegs long rides are fine, allows me to strech out. A set of bar risers and the windscreen in the highest position keep me comfortable. All problems you talk of are easy fixes...
Old 05-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
rifflebox
Yee Haw!

Oddometer: 203
I have a 2012 V-Strom. The Roxspeed FX bar risers allow you to raise the bars and tip them towards you (within cable limits). This allows you to sit straighter on the bike. I also swapped out the stock seat for the tall seat, which also helps a little with the foot peg ergos since I now sit a bit higher.

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/category/a...bar-risers.htm

If I was to lower the pegs I'd look at the Adventuretech kit:

http://www.adventuretech.biz/footpeg...ering-kit.html

I'm a big fan of Adventuretech's Fork Brace.

I bought the bike used with the MRA Vario Screen windshield already installed. It is OK but when adjusted to what feels to be the best place for buffeting, I collect the usual assortment of bugs on the face shield.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-v...uzuki-dl650-12

Almost all my riding is on pavement. Looking forward to seeing what others have installed.
rifflebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #15
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
hey Happy, give it a chance
as has been said there are many sources for products to "tune" the ergos to your tastes/needs. As with every other bike you could purchase you will find many things on it out of the box that don't work for you. They work for many but not all. That's why the aftermarket is thriving with products for every bike. Be glad it's a Strom, the beemer accessories would really dent your wallet.

Tell us more about the 62 mpg, imperial? If not-
A rare tank experience? Ain't gonna happen every fill-up (unless you stay below 3000 rpm in every gear)
many scooter brands are noted for high mpg, if that's what you're really after.
Get the stuff you want and enjoy your strom.
nbsdave is offline   Reply With Quote